Michelle Obama thinks being America’s First Lady is ‘hell’

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Still the headline on Drudge, but the denials are in the right hand column next to the story about the Obamas canceling their dinner date with the Sarkozys. We all know how sensitive the Obamas' feelings are. Think the non-stories could be related?

Oh, and just saw another story pop up that CBS News in Paris is reporting that the authors are standing by their quote.

Isn't this way more fun than watching "As The World Turns"?

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Nov 30, 2006
Moonie: I guess what you don't see is that seething hate you see is your own. When you see something what you see is in your own eye. It's called projecting your own repressed feelings out onto others.
DSF: So when I read the following, I'm actually seeing my self-hate? Seriously?

"PJ, I am sure you are happily married to a similar piece of human excrement as yourself. God Damn you and your fellow shit throwing friends to hell." - Moonbeam

Moonie: Why are you wondering about me.
DSF: Good question...I guess it's because I like you and your unique perspective which can be quite colorful and interesting.

Moonie: You are the one with the problem.
DSF: Thank you for pointing that out...I'll try not to feel bad and take it personally.

Moonie: It's all very convenient for you to say you can live with that, when you call living isn't living at all. It's being in hell. And you want me to life in that hell too.
DSF: Hell isn't big enough for both of us...I don't want you here and I'm glad you escaped. Please send ice water!

Moonie: I can pour an infinity of love into the vacuum of your self hate and it will absorb it all and remain a vacuum.
DSF: You have no idea of the difference you can make in this world. But you appear to have twisted way of showing your love to others...and that's what really makes me wonder about you.

Nov 30, 2006
Frankly it wouldn't bother me in the least if she said it, to a foreigner or not. It wasn't like she was dissing America to a foreigner. It was a private conservation in which she presumably would have been honestly describing how she feels about being first lady, which could even have been a reflection of her mood at the time. Ask me how I feel about my job; I miight give you one answer one day and another the next.

When the spouses of heads of state sit down and have private conservations, it isn't unreasonable to assume that they bitch about the situations they are in to each other while their husbands are off discussing matters of state. I can just hear Ms. Bruni saying to MO "you know, I get really sick of the press reporting on what I wear every day. Just one day I'd like to be able to dress without it becoming a matter of national media attention" to which MO might say "yeah, I know what you mean."

Anyway, regardless of the particulars, 404 outrage not found over what these ladies confided to each other in private.

- wolf
No outrage here...just thought it was bad form (assuming she actually said that).

Aug 23, 2000
I find it funny. I would think any one with that title and going on lavish vacations would love it.

Maybe it is hell, I guess you never know till you try it out.

It's hell because she has to inturrupt her vactions and talk to white people.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
When One is Annointed and Privileged, much in the manner of the Sun King, to be cast as a commoner and merely a Wife to the King, it doth pain that Royal Personage to no end and causes Her to believe She has entered upon one of the True Circles of Hell.

Verily, I say to those who do not understand such Royal Anguish, that they should not look to their cupboards for that piece of bread, no longer there for lack of Gainful Employment as result of My Husband's polity, but they should choose to eat cake, much as I do daily and sometimes thrice.

Hahahahah! For gods sake, please tell me you write comdey bits for a living. If not, you've certainly missed your calling. Dennis Miller could really use some of your material!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Doc Savage Fan: Moonie: I guess what you don't see is that seething hate you see is your own. When you see something what you see is in your own eye. It's called projecting your own repressed feelings out onto others.

DSF: So when I read the following, I'm actually seeing my self-hate? Seriously?

M: Absolutely. There is only love. You have to be sick to see anything else. You can't see hate, identify hate, know what hate is, except that you have felt it. It is very important to understand this. The discovery of hate in the world killed your soul. You were made to feel evil. You were made to hate who you are and what you feel. You learned to hate hate, to become a champion of good. Your own self was turned against you. It is why you suffer and why you long for a state you once had but don't remember. Put downs cast you out of the garden of Eden.

Think about it. The mind that is undivided, that isn't compartmentalized, that sees without words or concepts is undivided, a perfect reflection of everything that is and all there is is God. The love in your soul flows out into space and hits you back in the face. The mirror and what it reflects are the same thing.

DSF: "PJ, I am sure you are happily married to a similar piece of human excrement as yourself. God Damn you and your fellow shit throwing friends to hell." - Moonbeam

M: I can't damn anybody to be where they already are.

Moonie: Why are you wondering about me.
DSF: Good question...I guess it's because I like you and your unique perspective which can be quite colorful and interesting.

M: My perspective, thought, is dangerous to the ego.

Moonie: You are the one with the problem.
DSF: Thank you for pointing that out...I'll try not to feel bad and take it personally.

M: As we all do foolishly.

Moonie: It's all very convenient for you to say you can live with that, when you call living isn't living at all. It's being in hell. And you want me to life in that hell too.
DSF: Hell isn't big enough for both of us...I don't want you here and I'm glad you escaped. Please send ice water!

M: There is no hell. That's how I escaped.

Moonie: I can pour an infinity of love into the vacuum of your self hate and it will absorb it all and remain a vacuum.
DSF: You have no idea of the difference you can make in this world. But you appear to have twisted way of showing your love to others...and that's what really makes me wonder about you.

M: I am a nobody. To know what is going on doesn't mean you are free of it. Millions and millions of people will die because of self hate, millions of innocent children and all because people are afraid to feel what already happened long ago. Is God angry that He will die when we do?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
No outrage here...just thought it was bad form (assuming she actually said that).

What's bad form? Talking about the pitfalls of your job to someone with the exact same job? Or having you and your spouse being slandered and verbally abused 24/7 by people such as yourself? Have you NEVER EVER EVER complained about any aspect of your job to ANYONE?

How about if you worked your ass off every day, and did your job to the best of your ability. Then when you left work every day, went home and turned on the TV, all you saw were people yelling and screaming about what a horrible job you did that day. EVERY DAY and NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID.

Now what if that person getting screamed at by the talking heads on TV was your spouse? Would you think that was a fair exchange for taking some trips to Europe or whatever?

Now what if you were sitting and having a private conversation with someone who was in the same situation, and complained that you found it somewhat hard to deal with? Is THAT what you consider "bad form".

Rudder: The president and first lady pay for all their and their family's food out of their own pockets. But I'm sure you knew that.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The issue is not whether you are right. The issue is what do you mean by hot. If you mean that looking at the President's wife arouses you sexually you should keep your mouth shut. If you are saying she is attractive, don't confine it to the physical because it comes down to the same thing. It is disrespectful to reduce complex individuals to how they look, and it is also rather shallow. Just saying.....

People peck till they create a pecking order. Somebody is always trying to peck somebody else above them down so they can raise their own status. This is a fact for people who have no real self respect and only reveals that they hate themselves. Folk who hate themselves are slime because they feel like slime. Slime turn everything into slime.

I meant I find her attractive.
And if I were to be in a social setting and met her I would give her a *Your looking beautiful tonight*
If I got alone with Barry I may even try a *Damn your wife is hot*
From my experience only a man with self esteem issues would disrespect that. And I've never met a woman who didn't like a complement.
I can also find beauty in what a lot of men would disregard without a second look
As for figuring out how complex a person is, that can take years and years and most of the time you still will never figure it out.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Hahahahah! For gods sake, please tell me you write comdey bits for a living. If not, you've certainly missed your calling. Dennis Miller could really use some of your material!

I do a lot of things that I am woefully behind on as I took on a work project overseas for the last few months.

Though almost all the libs here are highly offended by my efforts to amuse myself, I actually get a lot of laughs out of it and hope others enjoy that kind of give and take.

:awe:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I meant I find her attractive.
And if I were to be in a social setting and met her I would give her a *Your looking beautiful tonight*
If I got alone with Barry I may even try a *Damn your wife is hot*
From my experience only a man with self esteem issues would disrespect that. And I've never met a woman who didn't like a complement.
I can also find beauty in what a lot of men would disregard without a second look
As for figuring out how complex a person is, that can take years and years and most of the time you still will never figure it out.

You do know that you are sexist, don't you?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
It probably IS hell. Her only real mistake was thinking she could confide in someone who is in a similar position without having it written in a book.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You got one from me, remember.

Of course I mean in real life.
I don't know how I come across online, most of the time it don't look good.
I'm probably not very good at this typing stuff.

But you could not find someone who would call me a sexist in real life.
I'm a people person ( real ) love being around people, meeting new people.

I could get my best friend in real life to pop in here in P&N (he just mostly reads here and posts in OT) and back me up on that, but he could just be BSing too eh

I get the idea that lots of people here are some kind of introverts, it's the only way I figure they can come to so many wrong conclusions so many times.
No doubt that's wrong of me to judge that way, as I get judged for my words on here.
I'd sit down anytime anytime with even the most seemly strange people on here, I'd love to really see what they are like in real life.

So to sum up
I'm pretty sure you would love me in real life ;)
And if not, well, I learned along time ago to just move along. :)

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
For the record Earl, I don't think that saying a woman is "attractive" or even "hot" is sexist. If that is the standard for sexism, then I'm a sexist as well.

Other people's milleage may vary of course.

- wolf

TheWiseOne

Sep 15, 2010
Its not what one says but how they say it...if she said this jokingly then whats the big deal

and if she didnt she should have probably waited till after her husbands period in the white house to make that kind of statement, but honestly most people think their job is hell at times, at least we get to go home and have our weekends

Her husband and she get no time off, they are always being watched/judged...but then again this was their choice. Anyway its not that horrible of a statement I think :rolleyes:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
For the record Earl, I don't think that saying a woman is "attractive" or even "hot" is sexist. If that is the standard for sexism, then I'm a sexist as well.

Other people's milleage may vary of course.

- wolf
:thumbsup:
Moonie never came off to me as a prude before though, and thus the confusion.
Pjabber on the other hand.. I was amazed he didn't start off this thread by telling us about the thrilling ball he went to last night and describing in detail some fancy drink he was enjoying ;)

Its not what one says but how they say it...if she said this jokingly then whats the big deal

and if she didnt she should have probably waited till after her husbands period in the white house to make that kind of statement, but honestly most people think their job is hell at times, at least we get to go home and have our weekends

Her husband and she get no time off, they are always being watched/judged...but then again this was their choice. Anyway its not that horrible of a statement I think :rolleyes:

According to the OP it was something she said in a private conversion.
I guess when your first lady you have no friends.
And if your going to blow off steam, best just do it with a doctor

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Pjabber on the other hand.. I was amazed he didn't start off this thread by telling us about the thrilling ball he went to last night and describing in detail some fancy drink he was enjoying ;)

Pjabber is a windbag. He probably doesn't think you're sexist. He's more likely trying to make a point that what you wrote is sexist by the standards of some hypothetical liberal whose ascribed position is really a straw man. Or maybe he does.

Moonbeam? He's above base desires of the flesh that the rest of us are afflicted with. His consciousness is now disembodied, floating in the ether of self-hating self-love. Either that, or it's the prozac. It tends to kill the libido.

Just kidding Moonie. You know you're one of my faves.

- wolf

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
So what?

I guess people want the first family to be completely two faced. Admitting being human is such a horror.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Pjabber is a windbag. He probably doesn't think you're sexist. He's more likely trying to make a point that what you wrote is sexist by the standards of some hypothetical liberal whose ascribed position is really a straw man. Or maybe he does.

Moonbeam? He's above base desires of the flesh that the rest of us are afflicted with. His consciousness is now disembodied, floating in the ether of self-hating self-love. Either that, or it's the prozac. It tends to kill the libido.

Just kidding Moonie. You know you're one of my faves.

- wolf

Wolf knows me too well, that's no fun! :awe:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

Stay tuned. I am going to Euro Night at the French embassy tomorrow evening and I might just be drunk enough to write a few ditties afterward!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Of course I mean in real life.
I don't know how I come across online, most of the time it don't look good.
I'm probably not very good at this typing stuff.

But you could not find someone who would call me a sexist in real life.
I'm a people person ( real ) love being around people, meeting new people.

I could get my best friend in real life to pop in here in P&N (he just mostly reads here and posts in OT) and back me up on that, but he could just be BSing too eh

I get the idea that lots of people here are some kind of introverts, it's the only way I figure they can come to so many wrong conclusions so many times.
No doubt that's wrong of me to judge that way, as I get judged for my words on here.
I'd sit down anytime anytime with even the most seemly strange people on here, I'd love to really see what they are like in real life.

So to sum up
I'm pretty sure you would love me in real life ;)
And if not, well, I learned along time ago to just move along. :)

I love you already and I like your posts, but I don't go calling the other people's wives hot. I think to ejaculate my sexual perceptions of other people to them crosses the line of appropriate social intercourse. You don't feel that way, but when was the last time you told your mother, say, that she gets you up? I think the best folk are naturally modest and embarrassed by reference to their sexual luminescence. You may feel OK about it but do you really know if others do to? We always think others are or should be like us.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I am a prude. I could live around your wife for a hundred years if you have one and she would never know if she were sexually attractive to me. This would be for your good, her good, and mine. And I'd also never call her a dirt bag or anything else if for some unimaginable reason I suffered a delusion I needed to get even with you.

I can tell you, however, that that the last think I see at night when I close my eyes is your Avatar. Um Um Uuuuuuum! I bet you have a tight little butt.

Nov 30, 2006
What's bad form? Talking about the pitfalls of your job to someone with the exact same job? Or having you and your spouse being slandered and verbally abused 24/7 by people such as yourself? Have you NEVER EVER EVER complained about any aspect of your job to ANYONE?

How about if you worked your ass off every day, and did your job to the best of your ability. Then when you left work every day, went home and turned on the TV, all you saw were people yelling and screaming about what a horrible job you did that day. EVERY DAY and NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID.

Now what if that person getting screamed at by the talking heads on TV was your spouse? Would you think that was a fair exchange for taking some trips to Europe or whatever?

Now what if you were sitting and having a private conversation with someone who was in the same situation, and complained that you found it somewhat hard to deal with? Is THAT what you consider "bad form".

Rudder: The president and first lady pay for all their and their family's food out of their own pockets. But I'm sure you knew that.
Oh please...spare me your drama. :rolleyes: