Michael Dell to step down as Dell CEO.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Rollins to be next Dell CEO

Michael Dell, founder of the Round Rock, Texas-based PC maker, plans to pass the crown to his second-in-command, Kevin Rollins, in July.

Rollins, currently Dell's president and chief operating officer, has been running the day-to-day work of the company for some time, while Michael Dell has spent more time focusing on his company's strategic initiatives.

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
One of my math teachers dated Michael Dell in highschool.. she dumped him too. :D

oTechGeeko

Feb 27, 2004
Originally posted by: fumbduck
One of my math teachers dated Michael Dell in highschool.. she dumped him too. :D

She should have held onto him until he had his first 100 million.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: oTechGeeko
Originally posted by: fumbduck

She should have held onto him until he had his first 100 million.

If Michael was still with her, i doubt he would had been the Michael we know as today. :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
why not, he hasn't done anything in the last decade

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Hehe, this must be Dell's way of eventually embracing AMD. With Mike Dell out, he doesn't lose face.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: ElFenix
why not, he hasn't done anything in the last decade

Except turn Dell into a computer powerhouse and the #1 PC maker in the US?

oh yeah one more thing, he also made $13 BILLION

She shouldnt have dumped him......

bigd480

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
He should take some of the horrible first-line managers with him - Dell grew too fast to hire good managers so they put unqualified warm bodies into positions of small power and then the ass-kissers that had been there a while kept getting promoted. What he did do well is hire very good people at the top of the organization, like Rollins, and with a better business model + a tightly squeezed supply chain, they always had an advantage over the competition leading to their financial success. Dell is a commodity company with great inventory management and product distribution channels - much more akin to Wal-Mart than HP/Compaq.