• Miata

• Fiat Spider 124

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Your uncle has died and he's gifting you either a new Miata or Fiat 124. You cannot sell it to buy something else and they are each similarly equipped.

Which would you pick?

Styling-Size-Up-Fiat-124-Spider-Mazda-Miata.jpg

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Miata.

And that's what I'll be buying in a few months.

Aside from the subjective aesthetics, where for my two cents, the Fiat is garbage, it is also sure to be heavier, less responsive, less reliable, and more expensive.

The Fiata is sure to be straight-line faster, but if that were the chief concern, I'd be looking at a Z4 or Boxster or used S2000.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Miata.

You can copy a look but its hard to copy quality.

That and fiat is too dodgey to me.

Crappler.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I believe the only non-Mazda part in the Fiat is the engine, which is the 1.4 turbo shared with the Fiat 500 and Chrysler products. I would imagine it should be reliable to 100k + miles. The engine has been around longer than the Mazda Skyactiv. That being said - I do agree that ultimately the Mazda engine will be more reliable.

I would pick the Mazda because of styling, and pushing the non-turbo engine would be more fun for me. I like the looks of the Fiat from the rear, but overall it just seems contrived. I would need to see them in person to decide 100%.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Between those two, the Fiat. But, really neither - much better cars out there for the money that more fun and practical.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I like the styling of the Spider. As far as the Fiat 1.4 turbo, I wouldn't rule it out strictly for that reason... I've owned two Mazdas and they can have their reliability issues. Regardless, they're made on the same assembly line in the Mazda's Hiroshima plant so to say the Fiat is automatically junk is kind of silly.

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
The Mazda, without question.

And I say that after a thoroughly miserable three years owning a Fiat 500 that my wife just had to have. The thing's been to the shop as often as my brother's Audi, which I didn't even think was possible.

When the check engine light decided to come on (again) a few months back, and I set up a service appointment, I was chewed out by the service tech for dropping it off the afternoon before (I had a business trip scheduled). "Why are you bringing it here now? We don't have any place to put it! Your appointment is tomorrow, so again, why are you here now?"

I was seething.

"I'm sorry that this F***ing car breaking down again is such an inconvenience for you."

So if you're in the Seattle area and just have to have a Fiat, avoid Rairdon Fiat of Kirkland like the plague. Shady sales experience, and it only got worse from there. Car Pros in Renton is selling them now, and that's where I went for yet another warranty claim last month. They're much, much better to deal with, and that's where I'll go up until I trade this thing on a new Miata next month. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.