Mi Box and Nvidia shield only android tv choices?

Mar 15, 2003
I have one of each and, while i love my shield, I loathe my mi box. Netflix and hbo go don't work due to hdcp errors and shoddy xiaomi hardware, but i don't really want to spend shield money on my 3 other tvs. Options? Any of the no names actually worth trying?

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
...chromecast?

...mirrorshare?

Maybe I don't quite understand the point of those devices when my phone can already do all of that.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Not everybody want to use their phone, core2slow. I don't. And I know for a fact my parents don't want to either. Most people like the simplicity of picking up a remote and pushing a button, instead of having to do some arcane magic ritual to get their phone to hopefully connect to this "caster" thingy and hope it works.

Not to mention, if the phone isn't connected to Wifi it's going to use their data to steam Netflix and if they don't have good service at home, it's not going to be HD.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Would love to find something too. We use Vue for TV and the Shield is great at it but the PS3 is a stuttering mess.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Not everybody want to use their phone, core2slow. I don't. And I know for a fact my parents don't want to either. Most people like the simplicity of picking up a remote and pushing a button, instead of having to do some arcane magic ritual to get their phone to hopefully connect to this "caster" thingy and hope it works.

Not to mention, if the phone isn't connected to Wifi it's going to use their data to steam Netflix and if they don't have good service at home, it's not going to be HD.

You really have to stop talking about Chromecasts. You don't know how they work, at all.

Any device is able to connect to a Chromecast if the guest access is turned on and the person is able to see the TV screen. It's not an option turned on by default.

A Chromecast will NOT eat your mobile data, EVER. For a Chromecast to work, it has to be connected to a WiFi network. The only way your mobile data gets used is if you are hotspotting with one phone (or a dedicated hotspot) and using another to actually cast.

As for your first paragraph, no disagreements from me. Different strokes. People who don't get that need to make an effort to understand that they are not the universe. There are very few cases where that mindset plays out well enough, but generally it just boils down to preference.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my Chromecast to an Android TV device down the line, specifically a Shield because of the PC game streaming.

Reactions: s44

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Why not a roku or appletv or something like that? Maybe a raspberry pi running kodi or plex or something?

Does a nexus player count as android TV? I have one and its OK. Basically a chromecast with a remote (even though my remote is f-ed up now and I just have to use it like a cromecast anyways. PM me if anyone wants to buy it. Too many devices in my house.

Mar 15, 2003
Why not a roku or appletv or something like that? Maybe a raspberry pi running kodi or plex or something?

Does a nexus player count as android TV? I have one and its OK. Basically a chromecast with a remote (even though my remote is f-ed up now and I just have to use it like a cromecast anyways. PM me if anyone wants to buy it. Too many devices in my house.

Actually own an apple tv, kindle fire stick, and rokus too but they're all missing one must have feature or the other, and I've retired the rest for the sake of consistency across 4 TVs. Android TV's pretty much perfect, just def. dont' need a shield on the 720 and 1080p sets (cost mostly). Android apps run ok on the stick, it's my plan b if the wife complains too much of HDCP handshake issues on the Mi Box (netflix doesn't work at all, hbo go freaks out nightly requiring a reboot)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
You really have to stop talking about Chromecasts. You don't know how they work, at all.

A Chromecast will NOT eat your mobile data, EVER. For a Chromecast to work, it has to be connected to a WiFi network. The only way your mobile data gets used is if you are hotspotting with one phone (or a dedicated hotspot) and using another to actually cast.

Then Google need to make it clearer how they work, because I am under the impression that they use Wifi Direct for casting and mirroring.

Can a Chromecast stream from my server directly? Can it function yet as a stand-alone STB?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Then Google need to make it clearer how they work, because I am under the impression that they use Wifi Direct for casting and mirroring.
No, you need to read up on it. It was very clear when it was announced, and it was very clear when tech sites were covering it. The information has been there. If you really wanted to know, you would by now, instead of [still] making stuff up.

Can a Chromecast stream from my server directly? Can it function yet as a stand-alone STB?
Yes*. No.

* Support has to be installed. Plex has it, for example.

There is only one way that a Chromecast works, and that's by fetching content being served, using your WiFi. Mirroring is done by your device literally creating a web server and transcoding your screen live. Casting local content is done in a very similar manner. A basic web server is created and the content is served by it.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Phone + NAS + Chromecast (ultra for 4K)

Really don't need another box or htpc anymore, which I got rid of. Can stream from internet or my NAS to anywhere I am if it's not on my phone.

Much simpler now.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
No, you need to read up on it. It was very clear when it was announced, and it was very clear when tech sites were covering it. The information has been there. If you really wanted to know, you would by now, instead of [still] making stuff up.

It really wasn't. It was made out to be an extension of your phone, and that your phone was required to do anything with it, and that it was useless without a phone.

You can stop fangirling over the Chromecast now. It's not a device I ever cared, nor will I ever care, about, and you win, because I'm simply going back to ignoring it's existence.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I've never used android TV so I guess I can't say how it compares, but the Roku has given me everything I need.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It really wasn't. It was made out to be an extension of your phone, and that your phone was required to do anything with it, and that it was useless without a phone.

You can stop fangirling over the Chromecast now. It's not a device I ever cared, nor will I ever care, about, and you win, because I'm simply going back to ignoring it's existence.
So, pointing out your misinformation and telling you how a thing works qualifies as "fangirling?" Get over yourself.

I wasn't singing the praises of the Chromecast (I even said in this very thread that I wouldn't mind switching to Android TV) or trying to convince you it was awesome. That was a pathetic attempt to save face just because you got caught [again] spouting misinformation about how Chromecasts work.

I'm just tired of you opening your mouth and spouting utter nonsense about a device you clearly know nothing about, except its name. And yes, it was clearly explained how it worked. I watched the presser and read quite a few sites about it before deciding to pick one up. Your decision to remain ignorant is not a failing of Google or tech sites. It's personal choice.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's small beans. I don't expect everyone to know how it works. But I would expect someone who takes the time out of their day to explain something to not be making it up as they go. That's my real beef.

And if I actually got you stop spouting fiction about a device so that others can make informed (with real information!) decisions, I'll take that as a win.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Second the FireTV, not the stick.

Kodi/Terarium/Mobdro/Plex... done!

I still have an awesome HTPC/media server but haven't used it in half a year. (As an HTPC that is.)

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
So for you FireTV guys I have a question. If I have my Blurays ripped with HD audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS- HD Master) Will a FireTV With Kodi play these and pass the audio to my receiver no problem?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
According to this:
http://hometheaterreview.com/amazon-fire-tv-2nd-generation-4k-streaming-media-player/

On the audio side, the Fire TV can pass up to Dolby Digital Plus 7.1-channel soundtracks and basic DTS, but it doesn't support passage of Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio soundtracks. I tested audio playback by connecting the Fire TV to my Harman/Kardon AVR 3700 AV receiver, and I had no issues streaming Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks when available through Netflix and Amazon.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Did you look into the Nexus player? (Not saying buy mine, just the device itself might be cheaper than a shield. Also how about a xiaomi mi box? The stuff they make is pretty sweet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Did you look into the Nexus player? (Not saying buy mine, just the device itself might be cheaper than a shield. Also how about a xiaomi mi box? The stuff they make is pretty sweet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Nexus I wanted to avoid because it's old hardware.

The Xiaomi mi doesn't have Ethernet so I put that in hold as well. I know people are having success with a Ethernet to usb adapter but I heard every so often you need to power cycle it because it doesn't work.

With a wife and two kids I need to keep it simple.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I wouldn't recommend the Mi Box. We have two, both have random network issues from time to time, you have to reboot them and then they start working. It's infrequent but annoying when it does happen.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I'm happy /w my Roku for my streaming devices. Mostly because it has the most support overall IMO. Works great with anything I feel like streaming and if I need something else I usually can add it to Plex to get to the Roku. And my phone can stream direct to the Roku too if I need to screencast etc...

I've tried Chromecast, which was too much of a hassle to have to dig out my phone every time. I've tried a FireTV and that works well, but I prefer the Roku. I've tried a FTVS with Kodi and I just can't get to enjoy it, it's not simple. I also have Dolby Atmos and I think only the Roku has been able to support that so far.