Mexico Upset By California Efforts To Legalize Pot

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I recall something like this in it too:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The 10th is nice but beyond it is the key while in front is another bit dealing with treaties and other international issues.... But especially the Commerce Clause.
The point is, however: Even IF it is legal to grow/use/whatever Pot in California, the Federal Agents can enforce the Federal Law in California... It is illegal under federal law to do what California's prop 19 seeks to enable... Sick Bird... Ill Eagle...

Last edited:

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Where in the CONSTITUTION does it grant the Federal Government to make any drug illegal? The last time they did it right they had to pass an amendment to it and see how that failed! That is pretty good precedent that the Federal Government doesn't have that authority.

See 'Gonzales v. Raich' I think it started out as Ascroft v Raich...

IF the Supremes say the Constitution says so then it does...
I don't agree with the finding... but there it is. (Commerce Clause)

My point, I think, was that it is a moot point twixt Mexico and California... it is Mexico and USA.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Looks like Obama is going to enforce federal law no matter what.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...sly-enforced-against-people-who-grow-dis.html

Article said:
U.S. Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr., in a letter sent Wednesday to nine former chiefs of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, wrote, "Let me state clearly that the Department of Justice strongly opposes Proposition 19. If passed, this legislation will greatly complicate federal drug enforcement efforts to the detriment of our citizens."

seriously fuck the feds and fuck this administration. if we pass this and the feds come here trying to shut it down shit will probably go down.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
What part of "fuck the feds" didn't you understand?

Just checking... It would be interesting to see how many of the Californians that are vocal against Arizona's new law are proponents of pot legalization in California.

In one issue we would have open defiance of federal law in the other, we have people turned over to the feds if they are found to be breaking the law.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Just checking... It would be interesting to see how many of the Californians that are vocal against Arizona's new law are proponents of pot legalization in California.

In one issue we would have open defiance of federal law in the other, we have people turned over to the feds if they are found to be breaking the law.

I have no problem what so ever with Arizona's new immigration policies. If the Feds won't do it we at the state level need to take it into our own hands. IMO every time a State has to make up for a Federal inefficiency we should withhold tax dollars to the Feds. Hell if we started doing that in California they'd really be hurting.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
WHile I admire Calif and voters efforts to build new bridges (so to speak), if 19 passes it will be challenged in the courts the next day and probably remain there for years. All while buying/owning pot will still be illegal in CA. I know Calif. All you have to do to get anything on a ballot is collect enough signatures on a weekend, strolling around a Vons grocery store parking lot, with a clipboard. Easily done. Very easily done! But after the prop is up for the ballot vote, these props are easily defeated in the courts. This process costs all Calif a lot of $$$. Sorry... no one will be legally buying pot in the near future despite what happens with prop 19.
If Calif really wants to make a huge difference, change how props are put on the ballot in the first place. Voters fall for this every election cycle, then pay thru higher taxes for the state to take it to court, where the state usually wins. Look at prop 8, a perfect example of voter abuse of the legal system and constitution. And where, in the end, did that get them besides more huge tax payer debt.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
WHile I admire Calif and voters efforts to build new bridges (so to speak), if 19 passes it will be challenged in the courts the next day and probably remain there for years. All while buying/owning pot will still be illegal in CA. I know Calif. All you have to do to get anything on a ballot is collect enough signatures on a weekend, strolling around a Vons grocery store parking lot, with a clipboard. Easily done. Very easily done! But after the prop is up for the ballot vote, these props are easily defeated in the courts. This process costs all Calif a lot of $$$. Sorry... no one will be legally buying pot in the near future despite what happens with prop 19.
If Calif really wants to make a huge difference, change how props are put on the ballot in the first place. Voters fall for this every election cycle, then pay thru higher taxes for the state to take it to court, where the state usually wins. Look at prop 8, a perfect example of voter abuse of the legal system and constitution. And where, in the end, did that get them besides more huge tax payer debt.

truth

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
sportage, that's all fine and dandy, but comparing this to Prop 8 is kind of awkward. This does the opposite of Prop 8.