metroidvania recommendations?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I'm looking for a good metroidvania style game with character progression/lots of gear. I don't want roguelike features.

character progression can be like upgrading stats to do more damage, more hp, new skills, etc.
also lots of gear to loot and use to keep it fresh.

I've been playing Dead Cells and I love the combat and action, but I want a story/continuous play, not dying and starting over every time.

I don't mind pixel graphics, like Dead Cells, but I don't want to go too old looking. I see lots of 8 bit style games on steam and that's just not interesting to me.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ori and the Blind Forest
Salt and Sanctuary
Axiom Verge (couldn't remember this one earlier)

Last edited:
Reactions: nurturedhate

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Also Hollow Knight has very good reviews, but I haven't played it. It is on sale for $8 now though. Might be worth checking out.

Reactions: OCNewbie

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Is Bloodstained curse of the moon out yet? it's basically Castlevania. There are also Castlevania fan made games as well using the OpenBOR engine. You can check out one called Haunted Castle which is the original arcade version before it was called Castlevania, use MAME to play it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Also Hollow Knight has very good reviews, but I haven't played it. It is on sale for $8 now though. Might be worth checking out.
Hollow Knight is a game I wish I could experience again for the very first time. It's well worth $40 so if it's on sale right now, grab it immediately, but I would highly recommend using a gamepad. A lot of the harder (optional unless you want the full story) bosses require some pretty precise controls.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I don't recommend this based up on what he said about story. I started playing Hollow Knight a bit ago, and while I'm a few hours in, the game is incredibly light on story. I think that has a lot to do with the game trying to shape its story more like a mystery. The problem is that it feels like the game has no real direction. I'm just going to areas because I can reach them (I have some power necessary or there's no limitation) and I haven't been there yet, and it gets kind of boring due to that. Also, I find the controls somewhat floaty.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
There is a vast story to Hollow Knight. You can't just ignore those you meet.

Not to mention it's one of the very few games that actually resemble older NES and SNES games like the original Metroid and Castlevania. With those games the entire game world was open to you but you would be restricted from certain areas until you obtained a specific powerup which is exactly how Hollow Knight plays.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There is a vast story to Hollow Knight. You can't just ignore those you meet.

I've got three hours in the game, and during that, I've read all the texts that I've come across (those weird statue things), and yet I still have no idea what's going on. It's not like this is a bad thing, but when you want to make something a mystery, I think you need to do a better job sprinkling bits around to keep the player involved. The stuff with Needle was fine. I run into her, she's all "I know what you're doing!" "Uh... well... good! Because I don't. :oops:"

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
You have to talk to the bugs, not the statues. If you return back to the surface after meeting new bugs, there's usually new dialogue or new NPCs/vendors. The statues are supposed to be vague.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You have to talk to the bugs, not the statues. If you return back to the surface after meeting new bugs, there's usually new dialogue or new NPCs/vendors. The statues are supposed to be vague.

I've only found one bug so far, and I've talked to them. :eek:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Have you checked out the Mummy Demastered?

the-mummy-demastered-shooting-640x360.jpg

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Axiom Verge is an awesome throwback, don't think I ever finished it though. As a side note the metroid games on GBA (can be emulated easily) are pretty great.

I also have Salt & Sanctuary on PSVITA but it's tough.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I played Salt & Sanctuary for a dozen or so hours some month or so ago, and it seems to stroke many of those requirements.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, I think steam is broken.
I just did a search and there are literally NO games with the word mummy in either the title or description. Which makes no sense.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I did not like Salt and Sanctuary.
I have hollow night but got bored with it.

I'm interested in Ori and the blind forest and Guacamelee, and Shantae 1/2 genie hero but they don't seem to have the loot gathering/character upgrading i am looking for.

Iconoclasts seems interesting too.

Bloodstained curse of the moon and Axiom Verge sound interesting but I can't get into the graphics.
Shovel knight as well.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I did get tired of S&S for some reason. I think I don't have the stamina for the type of games I used to like: ARPGs, platformers, turn-based strategy and RPGs, etc...

I recently picked up Slain for a few bucks, because I thought it looked like a much simpler version of Symphony of the Night...but I was wrong. It is crap. I don't think there is any ability leveling or skill progression, really.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Has anyone else played Strider?

It has some similarities to this genre but it's more of a hack and slash 2.5D platformer. I had fun with it for a few hours.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Has anyone else played Strider?

It has some similarities to this genre but it's more of a hack and slash 2.5D platformer. I had fun with it for a few hours.

I always loved the original Strider on NES. Never played the "updated" versions on Genesis, even, or whatever came after.

I want to say that it was the first game that used the "triangle jump" off of the wall mechanics.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
hmm...it wasn't boredom with hollow knight, it was frustration. thought I'd fire it up and play again and 5 minutes later I was angry, swearing, and wanting to throw the controller across the room.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
On an unrelated subject does anyone else wish Konami would remake Symphony of the Night on Steam?
Square has redone most of the Final Fantasy games, or at least put them on Steam.
Resident Evil gets redone every six years.
Dragon Quest 8 got an Android release.

I'M JUST SAYIN!