Metro2033 to have DX11 eye candy

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
http://games.on.net/article/7836/Metro_2033_-_Technical_QA

In this article the developer claims the game will also scale up to 16 cpu cores.

This is quite the opposite from other THQ games STALKER SOC and Clear Sky both of which are single threaded.

games.on.net: So if I go from a dual to quad core, what performance increase can I expect?

Olez: If you are not bottlenecked by the video card, we have linear scaling – so double the performance. This goes all the way up to eight and sixteen cores.

I bet that comment is a load of BS. I doubt you will actually double the framerate going from a dual to quad of the same architecture unles you are playing at 1280 with a gtx295. and we certainly know the odds of it scaling beyond 4 cores are about nil no matter what gpu you are using.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
games.on.net: So if I go from a dual to quad core, what performance increase can I expect?

Olez: If you are not bottlenecked by the video card, we have linear scaling – so double the performance. This goes all the way up to eight and sixteen cores.

I bet that comment is a load of BS. I doubt you will actually double the framerate going from a dual to quad of the same architecture unles you are playing at 1280 with a gtx295. and we certainly know the odds of it scaling beyond 4 cores are about nil no matter what gpu you are using.

Well he didn't say double the frame rate just double the performance. Which could potentially be accurate if the CPU is acting as the bottleneck. I'd say linear scaling is possible if they could somehow break down everything into say 16 equal and different threads. Also no one said the game would run well so potentially it could run like crap on a single or dual ore and get better with more cores (like a better threaded GTA 4).

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
it scales to 16 cores? lol that's good to know when i use my 16 cores in 2012.:p Unless they mean an 8 core w/ hyperthreading? which prolly wont be affordable until 2012 anyways.

sorry off topic, toyota how do u do italics on Anandtech forums? i dont see the option when making a post.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I'll be happy with some legitimate anti-aliasing. Pripyat just looks bad at max settings without true AA, plus all the flickering is ridiculous. Can't live without at least 2xaa.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
it scales to 16 cores? lol that's good to know when i use my 16 cores in 2012.:p Unless they mean an 8 core w/ hyperthreading? which prolly wont be affordable until 2012 anyways.

sorry off topic, toyota how do u do italics on Anandtech forums? i dont see the option when making a post.
I just use the generic italic commands. there does not seem to be way to automatically do anything on these forums or maybe I just cant find it. lol.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

You mean ..You HOPE that is a load of bullshit..Since you still have a dual core.
We shal see. Time to upgrade bro. I've been telling people this for 6 months.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
You forgot to add:
3D vision and PhysX and that it is a TWIMTBP game...

But funny they hype it as DX11 game...since the 360 isn't DX11 :hmm:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You forgot to add:
3D vision and PhysX and that it is a TWIMTBP game...

But funny they hype it as DX11 game...since the 360 isn't DX11 :hmm:
why is that funny? almost every game that will have DX11 will also be a console game.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
CPU scaling isnt impossible if they multithread the game from the beginning. I hope these guys have done just that as it would be a huge leap in game development.

Might even get me an Nvidia card just for the PhysX, if I can get it to play along with my crossfire HD5850.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Demonstrative, realistic and exciting, while one waits for ideal is still pretty good for some.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
THQ is a publisher. They didn't develop those Stalker games. So it's totally unrelated.

I'm kinda hoping this game can deliver, it's said to be a bit stalker like.

Yep, I found this at Wikipedia.

"4A Games was founded by people who split off from GSC Game World a year before the the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, in particular Oles' Shiskovtsov and Aleksandr Maksimchuk, the programmers who worked on the development of X-Ray engine used in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.[7] The game will utilize multiplatform 4A Engine; there is some contention regarding whether the engine is an original development (as claimed by 4A Games) or whether it is an adapted and improved branch of pre-release X-Ray engine (as claimed by Sergey Grigorovich, the founder of GSC Game World[8], as well as users who have seen the 4A Engine SDK screenshots). Among the improvements compared to X-Ray, 4A Engine will feature nVidia PhysX support.[9]"