Metro Exodus benchmarks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
BF5 got DLSS patch last week. And it does run better with DLSS on, but man does it became a sea of blur: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V_DLSS/

From the comments in that link, a user posted his own comparison of DLSS OFF vs ON vs Simply resolution scaling. Long story short, using resolution scaling gives a better image than DLSS with the same if not better performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/nvidia-dlss-test-in-battlefield-v.252545/post-3994023

dlss-on-vs-off-vs-75-png.116389

Hopefully they can improve DLSS with more learning patched in.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Steve's huge round-up:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1795-metro-exodus-benchmarks/#commentsOffset

I’ve been doing some testing on my own, and I’m almost positive the 780 is faster than a 7970GHz in this game. I’ll double check tonight, but if so, it’s probably because DX12 is being used in Steve’s testing vs. DX11. Kepler in DX12 is pretty Meh…

I’ve also been testing a GTX 580 3GB in both DX12 and DX11. It holds up surprisingly well using both APIs.

High Preset + Tessellation @ 1080p = Most areas of Volga High 20's to mid-30's. Some more strenuous areas drop to the high teens. Impressive for the Ferminator.

IMG_0250.JPG

Last edited:

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Damn those graphics are amazing sure it is going to lag with my Radeon R9 Fury will have to wait another year, it is not on Steam anyways.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Steve's huge round-up:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1795-metro-exodus-benchmarks/#commentsOffset

I’ve been doing some testing on my own, and I’m almost positive the 780 is faster than a 7970GHz in this game. I’ll double check tonight, but if so, it’s probably because DX12 is being used in Steve’s testing vs. DX11. Kepler in DX12 is pretty Meh…

I’ve also been testing a GTX 580 3GB in both DX12 and DX11. It holds up surprisingly well using both APIs.

High Preset + Tessellation @ 1080p = Most areas of Volga High 20's to mid-30's. Some more strenuous areas drop to the high teens. Impressive for the Ferminator.

View attachment 3451

Metro games have always been faster on nVidia hardware. The Metro creators have always been extremely pro nVidia, and basically do not optimize for AMD cards at all. So while the 7970 is faster in most games these days than a 780, there are standouts like this where I would expect a 780 to edge out the 7970.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I wonder how this is going to work when it takes a week + to get a somewhat functional DLSS patch that still doesn't look quite right (although much better) when old school upscaling satisfies the same requirement with better performance right away for those day 1 purchasers...

I mean, will DLSS for M:E be at it's prime in a year after M:E launches on steam for the discount crowd?

Reactions: tamz_msc

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I wonder how this is going to work when it takes a week + to get a somewhat functional DLSS patch that still doesn't look quite right (although much better) when old school upscaling satisfies the same requirement with better performance right away for those day 1 purchasers...

I mean, will DLSS for M:E be at it's prime in a year after M:E launches on steam for the discount crowd?

I tell you what, this is making my decision to give a game 2-3 months before considering buying it more feet. I'm on the screw Epic Games bus so I won't get Metro Exodus probably until 2020+, and by then I better have DXR+DLSS v2.+ giving me 100 FPS in 4K VR!!! But seriously, yeah I have no issues waiting, most games (especially console ports) have something almost game breaking in them that the community at large normally fixes.

On topic:

DLSS Post-Patch is almost comically better than DLSS Pre-Patch. I also just remembered, didn't NV recently recruit one of AMD's longest PR person? Or PR corporation? If so, it clearly shows. They are doing some stupid moves with showing us broken performance and blur image quality. Woof. They are not selling this product/feature-set well.

CharlesKline1

Feb 28, 2019
What about Anthem? 60FPS in 4K resolution on Medium settings, the frame rates drop to 55FPS if i try to increase the settings to High and i'm using Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 :mad:

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
What about Anthem? 60FPS in 4K resolution on Medium settings, the frame rates drop to 55FPS if i try to increase the settings to High and i'm using Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 :mad:

That's pretty good imo! I got lower performance in the open beta on a 1080 ti.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Anthem is basically the new Crysis. The game has amazing graphics, but the game play is a bit hollow unfortunately. It will be a while before mid range cards can run it full tilt, especially at 4k.

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
oh myyy god, I sold 7970 3 years ago because I had to put details on medium at 1080p, and now 3 years later it STILL runs 1080p medium ?? o_Oo_O

but.. it only looks good because of Kepler. It's 390 that is really getting out of control now.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
For me it's not a big deal, as I already use Fortnite to benchmark. Not having cloud saves sucks, but you can always use OneDrive for "My documents", as others have mentioned.

They have a free game every two weeks which is pretty nice.

Reactions: happy medium

rhamnetin

Mar 13, 2019
Why does Turing still perform better in DX11 compared to DX12 on identical settings, not just in Exodus but every DX12 game?

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Why does Turing still perform better in DX11 compared to DX12 on identical settings, not just in Exodus but every DX12 game?
Quality of Nvidia's DX11 drivers. The difference between DX11 and DX12 is it moves the much of the burden from the drivers to the game engine. Nvidia write very well optimised DX11 drivers, so good they are better then most game devs can manage when they have to write that code in DX12 even with DX12's other advantages.

AMD on the other hand have a less well optimised DX11 drivers, so they tend to look better in DX12, but the truth is more that they are worse in DX11. Hence why Mantle appeared in the first place - AMD couldn't compete with Nvidia's driver team so they instead gave out the low level api's and moved the burden onto the game devs.

Reactions: ozzy702

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
Quality of Nvidia's DX11 drivers. The difference between DX11 and DX12 is it moves the much of the burden from the drivers to the game engine. Nvidia write very well optimised DX11 drivers, so good they are better then most game devs can manage when they have to write that code in DX12 even with DX12's other advantages.

AMD on the other hand have a less well optimised DX11 drivers, so they tend to look better in DX12, but the truth is more that they are worse in DX11. Hence why Mantle appeared in the first place - AMD couldn't compete with Nvidia's driver team so they instead gave out the low level api's and moved the burden onto the game devs.
Nothing to do with drivers, AMD's cards run dx 11 as well as the hardware allows. Nvidia probably benefits most from having most of the games, even the console ports developed or ported by default on their hardware.