Metro 2033 is a POS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the game was the mask mechanic, as it forced you to rush through areas. I like to take my time and explore the map.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
So I am trying to finally play this game and its a piece of crap. They thought they were making a deep game by making is impossible to find out where you are supposed to go. I can't even play the game because I am running around outside and simply can't find out where to go! Its ridiculous.
No game should be this damn hard to simply proceed. I'm not retarded. I have played many games and beaten them. None of them try to be great by TRICKING the player and making it hard to simply move along because you simply can't find the path forward. STUUUUUUPID ASS GAME!
Also, I can finally play it and have it not drop below 60fps. It only took 6 years and TWO overclocked 980ti's to get there. STUUUUPID game!

I'm sorry but I don't think it's that difficult to proceed in Metro 2033.

Metro 2033 is an extremely good single player experience IMO. I don't know what resolution you're trying to play at but 60fps should be entirely doable with one of those 980 Ti's (I'm assuming you're playing the Redux version which is the original game in an updated engine).

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I don't remember it being a big problem, the negatives I remember are gameplay (well, shooting) not being that great and the game being to heavy.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
This game and the redux still give me weird technical issues. There's a huge thread on Steam forums with users having this issue. Maybe I'll to run it some time in the future. I suppose the Physx feature doesn't really work either.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I grabbed the Redux version on sale, but I remember the orignal was a bit buggy...

Anyway, 2033 and Last Light are two amazing games IMO. Didn't take long to complete, but they were pretty challenging and my god the atmosphere...incredible. Might have to fire up 2033 again - I almost forgot about
the creepy Librarians

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the game was the mask mechanic, as it forced you to rush through areas. I like to take my time and explore the map.

Then you didn't take your time and explore the previous areas, otherwise you would have plenty of filters to allow you to take your time.

Unless you were playing on Spartan mode, then I can understand the need to hurry, but in the same vein, you know what you're getting into on that mode.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
If I recall, you can replace masks, which don't come often, but you also can replace the filters, which you should have plenty. Don't forget to use the filters, and make sure to wait until they are nearly done before you do. I wouldn't bother with PhysX, it barely changes the visuals (I can't really say I saw any difference), primarily it was used to have real time physics, rather than scripted physics. The scripted stuff was good enough in my eyes.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Very good and atmospheric russian game, graphics are standing well, gameplay is awesome specially if played on hard difficulty, not for everyones tastes though.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Anyway, 2033 and Last Light are two amazing games IMO. Didn't take long to complete, but they were pretty challenging and my god the atmosphere...incredible. Might have to fire up 2033 again - I almost forgot about
the creepy Librarians

I get nervous even thinking about that section, its seriously one of the most tense experiences I have had in a game especially if you are trying to get through the section the right way.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
I grabbed the Redux version on sale, but I remember the orignal was a bit buggy...

the creepy Librarians

I think that the Metro games (at least 2033 which I've played far more than LL) paced themselves very well. I don't really like scary games but I liked 2033. If there was a section where you're alone it's almost always followed by a section where you're with someone or in a safe location it seemed.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
OK so there was a hole in the wall that I was supposed to go through and that took me across the river. All is right with the world now. Apart from that frustration, I must say the game is kind of damn scary actually. Those creatures creep me the hell out.
Regarding the redux version, I don't see the point in paying money for that when I haven't even finished the original. Seems like a total waste of money that I paid for the original if I don't play it and buy the redux instead.
After I finish this maybe I will buy Last Light.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
OK so there was a hole in the wall that I was supposed to go through and that took me across the river. All is right with the world now. Apart from that frustration, I must say the game is kind of damn scary actually. Those creatures creep me the hell out.
Regarding the redux version, I don't see the point in paying money for that when I haven't even finished the original. Seems like a total waste of money that I paid for the original if I don't play it and buy the redux instead.

I'd love to try these on a Oculus/Vive. Last Light was already incredibly atmospheric in a totally dark room on a plasma. VR would be crazy.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'd love to try these on a Oculus/Vive. Last Light was already incredibly atmospheric in a totally dark room on a plasma. VR would be crazy.

I've played it with 3d Vision. It was awesome in 3D. The game had excellent support. That is, I played 2033 that way. I don't have Last Light.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

All is well now son? We want to see A happy and funny Moonbogg, not Grumpy cat Moonbogg...

FWIW, the game is creepy and challenging. I highly recommend Last Light as well if you enjoy 2033.

For those who haven't played Last Light, you can pick it up here for cheapers.

http://www.kinguin.net/category/9289/metro-last-light-redux-steam-key/

BTW, if you enjoyed the Metro series, then you should definitely play the STALKER series.

$10 for all 3 - https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/stalker-complete-bundle

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011

+1 and a busted up mask can't see while trying to get to the next save point low on ammo and being jumped by howlers......grrrrr

Love it.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
That's the typical sale price, so at least if it's not happening on this go-around, it'll happen again. It goes on sale about once a quarter, it seems.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
More than that. I missed the Redux versions on two different sales last year and finally grabbed them during a random weekend sale. The Metro games go on sale quite frequently.