Metro 2033 is a POS

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So I am trying to finally play this game and its a piece of crap. They thought they were making a deep game by making is impossible to find out where you are supposed to go. I can't even play the game because I am running around outside and simply can't find out where to go! Its ridiculous.
No game should be this damn hard to simply proceed. I'm not retarded. I have played many games and beaten them. None of them try to be great by TRICKING the player and making it hard to simply move along because you simply can't find the path forward. STUUUUUUPID ASS GAME!
Also, I can finally play it and have it not drop below 60fps. It only took 6 years and TWO overclocked 980ti's to get there. STUUUUPID game!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So I am trying to finally play this game and its a piece of crap. They thought they were making a deep game by making is impossible to find out where you are supposed to go. I can't even play the game because I am running around outside and simply can't find out where to go! Its ridiculous.
No game should be this damn hard to simply proceed. I'm not retarded. I have played many games and beaten them. None of them try to be great by TRICKING the player and making it hard to simply move along because you simply can't find the path forward. STUUUUUUPID ASS GAME!
Also, I can finally play it and have it not drop below 60fps. It only took 6 years and TWO overclocked 980ti's to get there. STUUUUPID game!

Been a few years since I played it, but I don't remember having too many issues finding my way. Except on the last level anyway.

I really enjoyed it. :shrug:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Metro 2033 and Last Light are two examples of linear, story-driven FPS done right.

I never had an issue finding my way. There is an outdoor chapter where it's a bit sketchy trying to get to the right spot, so I have a feeling that's probably where you're at.

If you can't figure out where to go look up a walkthrough. The game is worth finishing....then pick up Last Light - it's even better than 2033!

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Great games. Kind of prefer 2033 to last light but regardless both are great FPS. Btw wolfenstein new order and old blood are equally good (but in different ways).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Don't remember getting lost at all. Both 2033 and LL are linear but with options to proceed forward (both in gameplay (bullets vs stealth) and path finding).

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I was just recently playing some of the Redux version and was stunned by how good it looks for an old game (i know the engine has been updated but the assetts are the same) must have been a real system killer back in the day.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's possible to get lost in 2033? How? Maybe in Last Light during some of the outside swamp areas but even those places are fairly straightforward.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
woha moonbogg, you can't say that about 2033 here on AT - everyone loses* that game.

except me.

i also hated the broken mask visuals, fog, stains, and everything else to make it hard to see whats going on.
i also hated the gimp guns and scarcity of bullets in a game more reminiscent of Resident Evil than any shooter. And the cutscenes where you lose all your stuff (hate those in any game).

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'd definitely look up a walk through for the zone you are having troubles with. The game is pretty straight forward, but you are likely missing a doorway that is needed to proceed. Something a quick walk through would fix.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Oh ya I remember getting lost in Metro, usually in the boarded up tunnel areas. Small escape areas in near pitch black UGH. Plus unless you know exactly what to do and where to be you get the "bad" ending. :thumbsdown:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am in an out door area in the early stages of the game and there is snow and trees and a deep river and I am supposed to go somewhere, but the only place I can go is into a building, up stairs, then down a broken elevator and back to where I started. STOOOOOPID. I'll probably read a walkthrough since the game seems worth finishing.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I am in an out door area in the early stages of the game and there is snow and trees and a deep river and I am supposed to go somewhere, but the only place I can go is into a building, up stairs, then down a broken elevator and back to where I started. STOOOOOPID. I'll probably read a walkthrough since the game seems worth finishing.

Clearly those are not the only places you can go. You just haven't figured out where you are supposed to go yet. I have a feeling you are at a spot you are supposed to jump across the river onto (or off of) a car.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

So... what you're saying is its a user error?

Game is fine. You're playing the Redux version, right?

AstroGuardian

May 8, 2006
The only problem i had with 2033 was the lack of enough ammo.
I was always just a mag away from empty and that was scaring the crap out of me.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Clearly those are not the only places you can go. You just haven't figured out where you are supposed to go yet. I have a feeling you are at a spot you are supposed to jump across the river onto (or off of) a car.

Probably right. I have tried jumping onto so many cars. I end up in the river and get stuck on a branch or something and can't jump out. The radiation just kills me. Its stupid. They shouldn't add petty difficulty in an effort to make the game more "survival like" or "deep". I can see them telling themselves, "Hehehe! We'll make it really hard to cross this river. Hehehe"

So... what you're saying is its a user error?

Game is fine. You're playing the Redux version, right?

How dare you. But yeah that's correct though. Its the standard version however.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The jump location is telegraphed by a partner when you first go near it, and when jumping, there is a sort of cut scene, or slow motion effect that happens, making it quite clear you are in the right spot. Assuming that is the one (there is only 1 time this happens in the game).

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My partner told me to meet him around the other side of something. My compass points me in a direction where there is nothing. Its not at all obvious where to go, but that's what they were going for. Artificial difficulty in an effort to make the game "DEEP".

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
My partner told me to meet him around the other side of something. My compass points me in a direction where there is nothing. Its not at all obvious where to go, but that's what they were going for. Artificial difficulty in an effort to make the game "DEEP".

Hmmmm, I certainly remember feeling lost and puzzled a few times, but I eventually made it through.

Also, I'd highly recommend getting the redux version and starting over. They fixed a lot of things and it runs better.

There's some play throughs on youtube. If you're that stuck, I'd just watch one to at least get you going again.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Also, something strange and scary happened while playing this game. I was on the catacombs level where you go through the gate when your partner opens it. He opened the gate, I was on the other side after that creature grabbed my hand, but my partner wasn't there. I didn't know he was supposed to be there until later, so I kept going.
The game had a gray look to it with no lighting effects. I walked down a hallway and I heard a sound like a repeated thumping of air pressure coming toward me, getting louder and louder. It was pretty damn scary actually and I thought this was how the game was, like it was a part of the game. I couldn't find my way to the next stage.
I ended up in a pit of green water, climbed a ladder and there was a big metal door, but no lights were on. I had to replay the level and this time my partner was there when I went through the gate and the lighting effects in the game were working this time and things looked colorful again. It was crazy. I played an alternate universe version of that level or something. I went back to the big metal door and we both went through it and all that.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Scrap your saved game and get the REDUX. It's hard for me to want to read about any problems if you're playing the old version.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Fairly linear game. Never had much issue with "getting lost".

Other than that, I think it's linear single player done right. I haven't played the Redux version, which I'm sure much improves the actual gameplay. The guns can feel a bit wonky at first before you settle into it and then they start to feel absolutely fine. I really enjoyed using the revolver though. Last Light feels pretty good (once again I love the revolver), and I imagine the aim for 2033 Redux was to reproduce the feel from LL on top of the performance improvements.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I agree. I gave up on this game because it was a horrible one. Couldn't stand the gameplay and lack of directional cues. Overall feel was bad.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I can recall getting lost and dying in the outdoor sections, you had stupid little time before you die and between your masking fogging up and your mask cracking/hazing, it was not a fun experience. Overall though the game was awesome. I personally would have preferred a little more exploration and a little less bullet management though, and by little, I mean a lot.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I can recall getting lost and dying in the outdoor sections, you had stupid little time before you die and between your masking fogging up and your mask cracking/hazing, it was not a fun experience. Overall though the game was awesome. I personally would have preferred a little more exploration and a little less bullet management though, and by little, I mean a lot.

Aim for the head. Plenty of ammo on the hardest difficulty when 1 bullet does the job, and you spend some time exploring. Always seem to have my ammo at max. Harder difficulty may even make it easier with ammo management. You die faster, but so do your enemies, so less bullets expended.

You can wipe your mask off too. You have limited filter time, but if you search you can find plenty to get you through.

Love games that don't hold your hand the entire time.