Metallic rubbing sound when I turn right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
When I turn right while driving, I hear a metallic grinding/rubbing noise about every wheel rotation coming from the driver side. It sounded like a dust shield rubbing on an uneven brake rotor.

The noise goes away (not completely though) after straightening out (sometimes), and never does it when I turn left. The grinding increases with speed.

Pressing the brake pedal doesn't do anything as far as stopping the noise.

So far I've:
- Replace the brake caliber: because I thought it was a seized caliber that cause the brake pads to rub against the rotor. I didn't replace the brake pads though because the old pads have a lot of life left.

- Replace the brake rotor: Because I saw that the rotor was uneven, some parts have raised lumps on it.

- Bending the dust shield as far away from the rotor as possible.

- Inspect the axle and its boot, both look okay. No rip or tears.

And yet none of this helped. I'm at a total loss as to what to do.
Any suggestions?
hmm.gif

Feb 6, 2007
You'll probably get more useful replies in The Garage. I have nothing to offer, suffice it to say, taking that to a mechanic might prove better than asking a bunch of tech geeks on the internet.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Bad/defective tire?
Tires are brand new, only a few thousand miles young.

The bearings in my Jimmy would do that when they went bad.

I'd be suspecting the wheel bearing.

So far everything is pointing to the wheel bearing. I jacked the car up and tried shaking the wheel method. I feel there is a little play when pressing the wheel left and right. No play when rocking it up and down.

However, when I shake/rock the passenger side wheel, it does it too but not as much. Does this mean that both are going bad and the driver side is in worse condition?

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Wheel bearing. Classic symptom. Noise from the right when turning left - passenger side bearing, noise from the left when turning right, driver side bearing.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Lug nuts may have been tightened too much. Double-check that the threads of the studs and nuts are completely clean (spray liberally with brake cleaner and brush all grit off), and torque in a star pattern to factory specs.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Lug nuts may have been tightened too much. Double-check that the threads of the studs and nuts are completely clean (spray liberally with brake cleaner and brush all grit off), and torque in a star pattern to factory specs.
It's the first i've ever heard

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Well turn out it was the wheel bearing. I took the car to the Nissan dealer and they replaced the driver side wheel hub & bearing for $411 after tax. No more noises

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
a local shop wanted $305 :p

But for $405, i'd rather go with Nissan to get it done because i know they use oem part, have experience and reputation behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.