Metal Music - I NEED RECOMMENDATIONS, MOTHER!

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Oh! Yeah, I've got Angra's music; same lead singer as Rhapsody. He tries a bit too hard in a couple songs, but when he nails it, hoo-boy.

That album was before Fabio joined (also before Rhapsody imploded) and is much better than their recent releases.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Sounds like you're mostly into the epic kind of metal? Because when I think metal I'm usually going with groups like Lamb of God, Unearth and Killswitch Engage to name a few.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
We've had quite a few metal threads over the years. Looks like you lean towards the power/epic metal side, which is fine, just not what everybody thinks of when you just say "metal". Anyway there's a lot of fans here.

I'll give some off the wall recs given your taste:

- Listen to more Korpiklaani. People don't give them enough credit because they think they're a gimmick, but I loved almost every album they put out and they've put out a lot. I don't speak Finnish but it still sounds fun and catchy.

- Check out Equilibrium... I think they're German. Anyway it's very odd music because the band/music sounds upbeat and happy, but the vocals are an almost inaudible deep metal growl. Odd mix, but it's unique. Try "Was Lange Wahrt" and "Uns'rer Floten Klang".

- Van Canto... They're an a cappella group (except for drums) but they do power metal music. The guitars and bass are done through voices, not always great but some good ones.

As far as metal that I like that doesn't really fit what you posted:

- Avatar is a great band that has gotten a bit more popular with their last two albums ("The Black Waltz" and "Hail the Apocalypse"). Check out "Smells Like a Freak Show", "Ready for the Ride", "Bloody Angel" and "Death of Sound"

- Amaranthe has two vocalists, one male one female. Both are excellent and I've liked every album they've released. Try "The Nexus", "Hunger" and "Dynamite"

Nov 8, 2012
Dude DRAGONFORCE totally pwns all METAL ^_^

No but srsly, I listen to Dream Theater and that's about it these days. I can't stand scream-o shit metal that most go for today. I guess they are more commonly known as "Progressive metal"

SFAM.jpg

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We've had quite a few metal threads over the years. Looks like you lean towards the power/epic metal side, which is fine, just not what everybody thinks of when you just say "metal". Anyway there's a lot of fans here.

I'll give some off the wall recs given your taste:

- Listen to more Korpiklaani. People don't give them enough credit because they think they're a gimmick, but I loved almost every album they put out and they've put out a lot. I don't speak Finnish but it still sounds fun and catchy.
They put on an excellent live show, I'd definitely recommend it if you get the chance. I saw them with Finntroll and Ensiferum, who he should also check out.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like 90s stuff like Opeth, Death, Satyricon, and Enslaved most of the time. But, of post 2000 bands, I would say, I most love Alestorm and Diablo String Orchestra. You got your Pirate Metal, and then you got your metallic swing opera rock.

Reactions: hexx_demon

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
These guys do great covers their own stuff not so much. Still good stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGNe17BVuCA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70_aic1FZY

Eh, I'm just not feeling it with these guys; they seem a tad too rock-ish for me, sorta like Gloomball, I suppose?

Sounds like you're mostly into the epic kind of metal? Because when I think metal I'm usually going with groups like Lamb of God, Unearth and Killswitch Engage to name a few.

Aye, I'm much more into the sort of music that gives...An motivational & ambitious feeling, I suppose?

You could just browse the thread already on the topic..... http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2178414

"heavy metal/death metal"

EWWWWWWW

Spydermag68 said:
This is a much better version of "The Trooper": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bgXH3sJ2Q

UP THE IRONS!

I swear the Iron Maiden tracks sound like they've been recorded in a shoddy studio. Half-decent track I've heard from them was Rainmaker.

We've had quite a few metal threads over the years. Looks like you lean towards the power/epic metal side, which is fine, just not what everybody thinks of when you just say "metal". Anyway there's a lot of fans here. I'll give some off the wall recs given your taste: - Listen to more Korpiklaani. People don't give them enough credit because they think they're a gimmick, but I loved almost every album they put out and they've put out a lot. I don't speak Finnish but it still sounds fun and catchy. - Check out Equilibrium... I think they're German. Anyway it's very odd music because the band/music sounds upbeat and happy, but the vocals are an almost inaudible deep metal growl. Odd mix, but it's unique. Try "Was Lange Wahrt" and "Uns'rer Floten Klang". - Van Canto... They're an a cappella group (except for drums) but they do power metal music. The guitars and bass are done through voices, not always great but some good ones. As far as metal that I like that doesn't really fit what you posted: - Avatar is a great band that has gotten a bit more popular with their last two albums ("The Black Waltz" and "Hail the Apocalypse"). Check out "Smells Like a Freak Show", "Ready for the Ride", "Bloody Angel" and "Death of Sound" - Amaranthe has two vocalists, one male one female. Both are excellent and I've liked every album they've released. Try "The Nexus", "Hunger" and "Dynamite"

I've got quite a few of Korpiklaani's records. They're pretty damn good.

Equilibrium sound like an upbeat Ensiferum. It's a shame they sing and German; too many "ich" "ogh" "ishcht" syllables.

Amaranthe ain't for me, heard 'em 'afore.

Van Canto's male singer sorta sounds like Gloryhammer's vocalist at times. Neat. That choir kills it, sadly.

Avatar's a bit too heavy for my tastes. Needs a high-pitched lead guitar, then they'd be dandy.

s0me0nesmind1 said:
Dude DRAGONFORCE totally pwns all METAL

No but srsly, I listen to Dream Theater and that's about it these days. I can't stand scream-o shit metal that most go for today. I guess they are more commonly known as "Progressive metal"

...I like Dragonforce.

Alas, Dream Theater ain't for me. The build up to the good parts are too slow, and it just doesn't have that "oomph" when the chorus is reached.

TechBoyJK said:
I recently discovered Earthside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu62Q1N64zc

It's some pretty awesome shit.

Also, check out Metal Allegiance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMGkSIXHCb0

Earthside? Sweet find, lad!

nakedfrog said:
They put on an excellent live show, I'd definitely recommend it if you get the chance. I saw them with Finntroll and Ensiferum, who he should also check out.

I used to be pretty into Ensiferum. The growly voice doesn't do it any more for me, sadly.

BurnItDown said:
I like 90s stuff like Opeth, Death, Satyricon, and Enslaved most of the time. But, of post 2000 bands, I would say, I most love Alestorm and Diablo String Orchestra. You got your Pirate Metal, and then you got your metallic swing opera rock.

Alestorm is a fockin' good band. Their song "Captain Morgan's Revenge - Of Treasure" is amazing.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Hmm, power metal fan eh?

How about the following bands:

- Axenstar
- Borealis
- Evergrey
- Anubis Gate
- Falconer
- Pyramaze

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I tend to listen to a bunch of older school stuff like Exodus, Testament, Exhorder, Bolt Thrower, D.R.I., Tourniquet, etc....

I really do need to check out newer stuff

Reactions: hexx_demon

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My best recommendation is not to listen to metal. :cool:
So, not only do you ignore the entire purpose of the thread, you also shit all over it. Are you the guy that goes to random gas station bathrooms and shits on the walls? Please, get help.