Question Mesh Wifi Professional

Sepidoel

Jun 26, 2022
Hello all. I'm quite a beginner in networking and wanting to upgrade my workplace wifi connection with mesh system. Last year I tried to have 2 nodes of TP-Link M5 at my home and I was pretty satisfied with the result. However for my workplace it might needs 50+ nodes, so some things I need to make sure first :

1. Are all mainstream Mesh Wifi support that many of nodes for 1 network?
2. Is there any Mesh Wifi device that doesn't need application for setup? (I'd prefer good old web based interface way more than using application and registration)
3. Currently I'm considering Xiaomi AX3000, but do you guys have suggestions with these criterias : Budget friendly; Preferably ax but ac is good enough; support PoE; Robust; Stable; And doesn't have to be very strong signal nor handle a lot of devices (32 devices per nodes is more than enough).

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Richard Ward

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
In an office environment just use APs. They cover more area per AP and give you the web GUI or depending on brand a controller to sync them and manage from a single page.

I use a NWA210AX at home and it covers 1300sq ft plus on a single AP. You can do standalone or use the nebula web based controller. They're coming out with a NWA220AX-E version soon that adds 6ghz to the mix. The 210 right now is ~$150/ea.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Hello all. I'm quite a beginner in networking and wanting to upgrade my workplace wifi connection with mesh system. Last year I tried to have 2 nodes of TP-Link M5 at my home and I was pretty satisfied with the result. However for my workplace it might needs 50+ nodes, so some things I need to make sure first :

1. Are all mainstream Mesh Wifi support that many of nodes for 1 network?
2. Is there any Mesh Wifi device that doesn't need application for setup? (I'd prefer good old web based interface way more than using application and registration)
3. Currently I'm considering Xiaomi AX3000, but do you guys have suggestions with these criterias : Budget friendly; Preferably ax but ac is good enough; support PoE; Robust; Stable; And doesn't have to be very strong signal nor handle a lot of devices (32 devices per nodes is more than enough).

Thank you in advance.

You don't need a Mesh system, you need a proper Wireless Site Survey and a centrally managed Wireless deployment. If you genuinely think you're in the category of needing to stand up 50+ nodes for a facility, you really need to take the ultra-budget mindset out of your head and pay a consultant to set this up properly. You may even find that you're way off on the 50+ node needs. The Wireless Survey can help determine how much coverage you actually need. And again if you really need 50+ nodes you need a cable plant. Your speeds will completely evaporate if traffic needs to hop even an 1/8th of those nodes to reach its destination.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Mesh and professionals shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Its like calling a prius a exotic sports car.

Meaning professionals don't mesh, they set up real wifi zones with AP's hardwired via POE placed in planned locations so handoff's work properly if roaming is required like thecoolnessrune states above.