Question Mesh needed. Google WIfi or???

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Looking to get a mesh setup and was pretty set on the Google Wifi (not NEst). Mainly because I want to keep it around ~$200. Google Wifi has 2 units and I will be using the wired backhaul.

But then I read some other post elsewhere about the TP Link W6000. It's only 2 units but covers about the same as Google Wifi. I do have some experience with TP link (I still have an old Archer 7 or 9, I can't recall exactly). I'm guessing I could always add another if I needed but I think two would be OK for now.

W6000 is Wifi 6 so that's a bonus.

Can anyone compare the two as far as ease of setup or any other pro or con?

I plan on getting ATT 1GB Fiber in Dec so I want something that can work with that. Either way, i beileve the best way is to turn off wireless in the ATT modem/router and hardwire one of these units then connect another to the cat5e on my 2nd floor.

Thanks for any help.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not taking into account the performance or how well it performs, but TP Link doesn't support any of their products with firmware updates for very long.

Most of the time, they will do a couple updates in the first year, and then pretty well abandon it. I had a TP LInk router for 5 years or so, and while it was reliable, I had to abandon it because lack of updates.

Even looking at the W6000 you mentioned, they released two firmware updates for V1.20 before moving onto V1.26 which doesn't have any firmware updates yet.

With all the various exploits/security concerns, you want to buy something that receives updates IMO.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Great points, thanks. I just hate to buy "old" hardware also. Anything else in the ~200 range I should look at?

The only thing I must have is wired backhaul. I won't use the ATT wifi. I also want the fastest wifi I can get (meaning as close to 1GB when I am near the mesh unit) but obviously I know there will be some loss in speed. I just don't want to go through all this and have slow wifi.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Been very happy with both the Linksys Velop AC setup I had now the Velop AX that I currently use. I did a wired backhaul with both of them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I also want the fastest wifi I can get (meaning as close to 1GB when I am near the mesh unit) but obviously I know there will be some loss in speed. I just don't want to go through all this and have slow wifi.
Are your wifi client devices at least 2x2 or 3x3 AC or AX? Do they support 5Ghz / 6Ghz and 160Mhz channels? MU-MIMO? You might be slightly dissapointed if those are not true, if your goal is "true" gigabit wifi.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Are your wifi client devices at least 2x2 or 3x3 AC or AX? Do they support 5Ghz / 6Ghz and 160Mhz channels? MU-MIMO? You might be slightly dissapointed if those are not true, if your goal is "true" gigabit wifi.
I am no expert but I want to get as much out of the 1GB as possible. I have a Note 20 Ultra something or another, kids and wife all have pretty recent iphones. I just want to get as good of a speed as I am paying for. Obviously it won't be 1GB.

And all the tv's will be on some type of streaming at some time or another.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I am no expert but I want to get as much out of the 1GB as possible. I have a Note 20 Ultra something or another, kids and wife all have pretty recent iphones. I just want to get as good of a speed as I am paying for. Obviously it won't be 1GB.

And all the tv's will be on some type of streaming at some time or another.

I can get up to 850Mbps down to my iPhone 13 Pro and Wifi 6 enabled laptops. However, the bigger deal is how Wifi 6 handles multiple devices which is more of what I noticed when upgrading from 5 (AC). The coverage is also substantially better where the old system had 3 nodes and the new 2 node setup goes well beyond the bounds of our ~1 acre lot.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The way most users decide about Wireless hardware is "pathetic" the Actual Environment is rarely taking into considerations, and so are the needs of the specific user.

I have hardware from most of the Brand Names and rarly there is real difference between thier actual performance in the same enviroment.

I have few TP-Link going four years ago to few month ago, I did not touch any of firmware update. I do Not have "Psychological Fixation" with Computers' Hardware. I do firmewere Update only if there is a specific issue with the way I use my hardware and the firware is needed to provide it. Otherwise, I do not touch it. Time changed since to late 1990 when most manufaturers did not know what they are doing with the Netwoking/Wireless of hadware designated for consumers, and we needed to be saves by DD-WRT/Tomato.

Image2.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The way most users decide about Wireless hardware is "pathetic" the Actual Environment is rarely taking into considerations, and so are the needs of the specific user.

I have hardware from most of the Brand Names and rarly there is real difference between thier actual performance in the same enviroment.

I have few TP-Link going four years ago to few month ago, I did not touch any of firmware update. I do Not have "Psychological Fixation" with Computers' Hardware. I do firmewere Update only if there is a specific issue with the way I use my hardware and the firware is needed to provide it. Otherwise, I do not touch it. Time changed since to late 1990 when most manufaturers did not know what they are doing with the Netwoking/Wireless of hadware designated for consumers, and we needed to be saves by DD-WRT/Tomato.

While most routers don't need security updates near as often as operating systems or computer components like CPU vulnerabilities, the internet is a dangerous place for always connected computers, and if the manufacturers simply don't ever update their devices (and there's no way to install WRT/Tomato), it kind of sucks to have to replace it with a new model to have the latest protection.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Last edited: