Mental issues with gf?s mother

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Start slipping Geodon in her food. After a couple weeks when it starts to work, she'll realize how insane she was acting. Only problem is there's a catch-22. . .I think you have to be insane and have a prescription to get Geodon and slipping it into unsuspecting people's food is probably also highly illegal.

Somebody I know and who I am close to started acting similar to what the OP described and eventually had to be taken (by me) to the mental ward. Luckily the person was so out of it they didn't really have any idea where we were going or the ramifications of what could happen once we got there despite my repeatedly asking if they knew where we were going and what it meant once we got there. (I say "luckily" because I didn't have to force the person to go, they were so clueless they just came along peacefully.) The person kept saying yes they knew where we were going but then a minute later would ask me where we were going. . .Anyway, they had paranoid delusions and hallucinations and the works. Ended up spending about a month in the psych ward. Sounds like what your GF's mom is having is definitely a psychosis of some sort. It can be caused by any number of chemical imbalances in the brain. If it has been going on for quite some time as you mentioned, she probably definitely needs to be on some kind of anti-psychotic meds. Seeing this person in that state was one of the scariest things I have witnessed in my life, even though the person showed no dangerous homicidal or suicidal tendencies. . .it was like watching somebody on an extremely bad trip that never ended.

It may be that the only thing you can do, OP, is to literally get some licensed qualified professional to come to the house to observe your GF's mom and make the determination on whether or not the guys in the white coats need to come and cart her away. There are cases where a judge can have somebody involuntarily committed but usually they have to display that they are somehow a danger to themselves or others. If your GF is a minor and dependent on her mom, you may have a case for involuntary committal. The problem with people who are "crazy" is that they have NO IDEA they are crazy. In fact, they think everybody else is crazy. The delusions they believe in are 100% real to them. They are quite literally living in an alternate reality from you and I. You cannot talk reason to them. Don't even try. They will talk you in circles for hours. Just get a licensed and qualified professional in the house to have a look at her in any way you can. If she's a sick as you describe, it will become very evident to them within a matter of minutes. Then talk to the professional about what your options are. Unfortunately you will never be able to talk rationally with her about her illness until she becomes stabilized. She will refuse to acknowledge anything is wrong with her probably because she doesn't even realize there is anything wrong. As far as she's concerned the only thing wrong is that somebody keeps stealing her stuff. After she is stabilized, it's very likely that she will have clear recollection of all her insane behavior and realize how ill she was. Then and only then will you be able to have a rational conversation with her about sustained treatment.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Do people have the right to remain mentally ill if they choose, assuming they're not physically harming someone, nor emotionally harming someone who cannot escape their immediate vicinity (i.e. a minor for whom she is the legal guardian)?

It's a touchy subject. . .somebody who is mentally ill isn't necessarily "in their right mind" and so should they really be trusted to make the decision for themselves? You use your mind to make decisions. . .how can you make a decision with a broken decision maker? That is why judges have the authority to have somebody involuntarily committed should they feel the person is so out of it that they cannot rationally make the decision for themselves.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Do people have the right to remain mentally ill if they choose, assuming they're not physically harming someone, nor emotionally harming someone who cannot escape their immediate vicinity (i.e. a minor for whom she is the legal guardian)?

If Mom is super resistant to the idea of going to the doctor and gets highly escalated when you bring it up, you may be able to manipulate her a bit by pushing the issue until she really blows her top, then calling the police. Your GF would have to decide for herself if that was morally acceptable.

Sorry but this sounds like a HORRIBLE idea. NEVER back a mentally unstable person into a corner without very specific controlled conditions. The results could be catastrophic. Absolutely do not do this unless you have a contingency plan in place to be able to restrain her if necessary without hurting anybody.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: ahurtt

It's a touchy subject. . .somebody who is mentally ill isn't necessarily "in their right mind" and so should they really be trusted to make the decision for themselves? You use your mind to make decisions. . .how can you make a decision with a broken decision maker? That is why judges have the authority to have somebody involuntarily committed should they feel the person is so out of it that they cannot rationally make the decision for themselves.

People have civil rights,many of them,including the right to be isolative,talk to themselves, hold unusual,downright odd belief systems,even to hold belief systems that are offensive to the rest of us.

You cannot commit someone against their will and force medications on them unless you can convince a judge that the person represents a clear risk of harm to themselves or others.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: ahurtt

People have civil rights,many of them,including the right to be isolative,talk to themselves, hold unusual,downright odd belief systems,even to hold belief systems that are offensive to the rest of us.

You cannot commit someone against their will and force medications on them unless you can convince a judge that the person represents a clear risk of harm to themselves or others.

What you just said doesn't apply is someone is mentally ill. If you had ever meat someone who is well and truly insane you would know this.

There are different degrees and types of insanity, some which might not cause immediate harm to themselves or others, but over time their quality of life will deteriorate to a degree that they live in inhumane conditions. The mother of the OP's GF sounds like she might slip into this category if she if left to her own devices.

I consider it wrong to leave a person in this state, who they really are locked away in their head leaving them a shell of a human being when with the proper care they can live a normal/semi normal life.

-edit- ok, it might not be that bad. But still she should be encourage to seek help regardless. -edit-

A person who believes in insane things, but those opinions are the only thing that sets them apart from the "norm" and are able to function normally (disregarding social ineptitude) does not qualify.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
kids needs to stick to focusing on getting some action with his g/f instead of invented family horror stories...must be the popular emo thing today.

Even if it were so, it's just a freaking g/f, don't get involved with bullshit outside the relationship.

I have no idea why from date #1 people are willing to financially support, emotionally carry, and physically assist basically a stranger as if they were their child or parent.