Men who don't like sports = broken?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Broken? Nah. Likely to be a complete dork that never kisses a girl? Certainly :p

I couldn't live without sports, both watching & playing.

Post this poll on another forum and see what kind of results you get compared to here...

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Well, yesterday I furiously dug out of 15" of snow just so I could go over to my friend Tom's and watch the Eagles' glorious and inevitable victory over the Falcons. Two rooms, two TV's, 14 of us including various SO's brought along. Tons of good food and drink for all. My dog Cinnamon serenly tolerating Tom's new SO's idiot hound.

We were all out digging and pushing, getting the less able up Tom's long driveway. The core five of us have lived and died (mostly died) with the Birds since the Stone Age. A curious sociologist from another planet would have had a field day watching this gaggle of carbon based bipeds staring intently at the flickering electronic images on an apparatus and periodically erupting into war whoops and the Eagles fight song, BUT WE HAD A GAS!

And I grew up during the height of the post war baby boom. 20 to 30 neighborhood kids got together every day after school, choose up sides, and played some variation of the sport in season w/o yuppie parental interference. Everyone played, no exceptions. Assholes, like the ones who regularly infest these forums from the anonymity of their keyboards, got a quick bloody nose or enough sustained verbal abuse to shut them the fvck up. It was rough particapatory democracy in action.

I love to both play and watch sports.

But NO, a guy who isn't into sports is NOT broken. That's small minded and ridiculous.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: flot
Men who don't like sports = out at a club making out with YOUR girlfriend on football nights.

85% of the girls out there love guys who don't obsess about sports. (it's like #2 on the complain list right behind the whole toilet seat thing) Of the remaining 15%, a third are hotties that have been tricked into enjoying them by their frat boy first loves (ah well, can't win 'em all), a third are a little too butch for my tastes anyway, and the remaining 5% are those girls who actually have a sincere interest in sports themselves. That's fine, I'll take 85% anytime - especially when they are out during "the big game" and jaded that all the other guys were too busy for them. :)

99% of your stats were mostly likely pulled out of your ass.

i'm willing to bet that a majority of girls find it odd when a guy doesn't like to watch or even play sports.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: iamme
guys who don't like sports are missing out.

playing, watching, and following sports is something every guy should experience. i don't care how stereotypical that sounds.

I suspect sport is mostly an excuse for guys to feel each other up and shower naked together.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: Antoneo
I don't like watching these so called "professionals" making more money than the doctors that save lives, teachers that help struggling children, engineers solving today's problems, and countless others that have helped to progress humanity. The national league sports are nothing like humble origins from which they came from, but products of capitalism at its worst. In fact, much of television isn't too far from these guys. I enjoy participating in sports, but would rather have the phosphors glowing with better, more educational material.
Whatever you say, history prof.
Mmm, fine. It's one of the ugly sides of capitalism, but I admit it was much of a stretch to say "worst".

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: flot
Men who don't like sports = out at a club making out with YOUR girlfriend on football nights.

Spoken like a true non-married guy... :p the reality of it for me is, after a couple years of marriage, get me the hell out of the house once in a while! We both need our space sometimes and what a great excuse... the "big game". Watching sports (basically any), playing hockey or golf, poker, etc etc. Hot damn yes I love my wife, but don't evar take away the nights out with the boys...

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
I think everyone likes to watch or compete in some sort of sport, even if it's checkers. If there's anyone who doesn't desire any sort of competition to test their skills, I'd say yes, something is wrong there.
I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like some sort of sport. Even my wife likes watching the kids play softball. My 13 year old daughter is starting to enjoy watching football.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Originally posted by: NFS4
I really don't give a sh!t about sports. I'd honestly rather watch the news or The History Channel.

I do on occasion watch college BB, but other than that, it hold no interest with me.

On occasion? I remember you bantering on and on about your beloved Tarheels.

My beloved Tarheels? I went to NC State. Why would I be pulling for the Tarholes?

sorry...wolfpack. I get all those loser North Cackalacky schools mixed up.

Haha..someone from Kansas talking smack. Thats good. :p

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Does Golf Count?

Also, I like watching Ultimate Fights..

Now, that's a man's sport..

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Perknose
Well, yesterday I furiously dug out of 15" of snow just so I could go over to my friend Tom's and watch the Eagles' glorious and inevitable victory over the Falcons. Two rooms, two TV's, 14 of us including various SO's brought along. Tons of good food and drink for all. My dog Cinnamon serenly tolerating Tom's new SO's idiot hound.

We were all out digging and pushing, getting the less able up Tom's long driveway. The core five of us have lived and died (mostly died) with the Birds since the Stone Age. A curious sociologist from another planet would have had a field day watching this gaggle of carbon based bipeds staring intently at the flickering electronic images on an apparatus and periodically erupting into war whoops and the Eagles fight song, BUT WE HAD A GAS!

And I grew up during the height of the post war baby boom. 20 to 30 neighborhood kids got together every day after school, choose up sides, and played some variation of the sport in season w/o yuppie parental interference. Everyone played, no exceptions. Assholes, like the ones who regularly infest these forums from the anonymity of their keyboards, got a quick bloody nose or enough sustained verbal abuse to shut them the fvck up. It was rough particapatory democracy in action.

But NO, a guy who isn't into sports is NOT broken. That's small minded and ridiculous.

well said

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
I don't mind watching sports but I don't schedule anything around them, I'd rather do other things.

I don't think it makes much sense to pay these people millions of dollars to run back and forth like idiots fighting to put a ball in a hoop or make it into the colorful rectangle at the end of the field.

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
I dont like sports... I used to play Paintball, but not anymore...

I dont think I'm broken.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose

I completely agree.

I'm a sports fan, but I wouldn't consider a guy who doesn't like sports to be "broken."

The same holds true for guys who like theater or (gasp) ballet. Your tastes do not define your sexuality or masculinity.

It's ironic that women have come such a long way in breaking female stereotypes but men still cling to them. A girl who drinks beer and watches sports is perfectly acceptable (even desirable ;)). A guy who pays attention to fashion or enjoys musicals is "gay" or "fruity."

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I have no interest in watching men get all sweaty and roll around on the grass or chase each other around a court.

If anything, I think that makes me LESS broken than sports fans. :p

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: DurocShark
I have no interest in watching men get all sweaty and roll around on the grass or chase each other around a court.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark

lmao

best answer yet

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Sports are like visual white noise to me. I'll watch, but really not care who wins. I just enjoy the good plays that are made, assuming there are any.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Outside of a few basketball games I really don't care to watch sports, playing them is another thing though. :D

Weren't you the one who started a thread about Peyton Manning being overrated? :roll:

I love sports. I love playing sports, watching sports, playing fantasy sports. it's all about competitiveness. It's tough to describe the feeling when your team wins it all in their sport... and even tougher when their season ends abruptly. It's also fun as hell, Sunday afternoons playing local pick-up roller hockey with a bunch of people who are out there to have fun. Not just guys either. There are a few girls who come play hockey with us on Sundays...it's just a good time.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: murphy55d
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Outside of a few basketball games I really don't care to watch sports, playing them is another thing though. :D

Weren't you the one who started a thread about Peyton Manning being overrated? :roll:

I love sports. I love playing sports, watching sports, playing fantasy sports. it's all about competitiveness. It's tough to describe the feeling when your team wins it all in their sport... and even tougher when their season ends abruptly. It's also fun as hell, Sunday afternoons playing local pick-up roller hockey with a bunch of people who are out there to have fun. Not just guys either. There are a few girls who come play hockey with us on Sundays...it's just a good time.

Nope was'nt me

Edit: Just did a search it was started by Phokus.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
It's also fun as hell, Sunday afternoons playing local pick-up roller hockey with a bunch of people who are out there to have fun. Not just guys either. There are a few girls who come play hockey with us on Sundays...it's just a good time.
The 2 or 3 chicks in our league no longer play there... :( I go to open ice on some Friday nights and the person who runs it is a chick... very good player, I might add. Fights in the corners too. :thumbsup: