Men arrested in UK over suspected Koran burning

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...arrested-in-Gateshead-over-Koran-burning.html

Six Tyneside men have been arrested after filming themselves apparently burning copies of the Koran on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Police said the men, all from the Gateshead area, were detained after a video appeared on the internet.

They were arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred and released on bail pending further inquiries.

Plans by a US preacher to burn copies of the Koran on 11 September resulted in widespread condemnation.

Mandatory commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RINqibpWOzQ#t=1m57

In all seriousness I don't think banning speech helps anyone. One benefit of allowing freedom of speech is that it allows people to vent. Shedding light on ideas is the best remedy. Stopping speech just lets bad ideas fester and promotes conspiracy theories and paranoia.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
lol uk. Soon to be under Sharia in some of your lifetimes. How far she will have fallen.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The UK gave up the idea of freedom of speech a long time ago. They are a bunch of politically correct panzies over there now......

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
If they had burned an American flag + Israeli flag and thrown in pictures of GWB, they would be heroes.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...arrested-in-Gateshead-over-Koran-burning.html

Mandatory commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RINqibpWOzQ#t=1m57

In all seriousness I don't think banning speech helps anyone. One benefit of allowing freedom of speech is that it allows people to vent. Shedding light on ideas is the best remedy. Stopping speech just lets bad ideas fester and promotes conspiracy theories and paranoia.

I don't agree with the positive view of this sort of speech as 'venting' as if it defuses it.

Rather, I think that it is like throwing gas on the fire, so to speak, it fuels the hate.

But I agree that's not a reason to censor it, that it's better to protect both sides' speech and use more free speech against bad speech.

I don't think censorship so much causes bad ideas to 'fester', as it does to restrict good speech when the majority or those in power are wrong.

Anti-Semitism in Hitler's Germany didn't grow by 'festering' under censorship, it grew by promotion by the use of free speech.

In that case, the other side was censored - and the anti-Hitler sentiment did not 'fester' and prevail as a result.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Nazism and Islam have many similarities. We banned one.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Europe is so screwed...I feel bad for them...almost.

Thankfully our 1st amendment is strong. Never let us cave into these relig-nuts that think we cant burn their little book of myths.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Europe is so screwed...I feel bad for them...almost.

Thankfully our 1st amendment is strong. Never let us cave into these relig-nuts that think we cant burn their little book of myths.

It's pretty strong but authoritarians have weakened it over the years.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/harass/

Much like our Constitution is weak these days.:(

Prof. Eugene Volokh, UCLA Law School

THIS SPEECH IS ILLEGAL!

Religious articles in newsletter and Bible verses on paychecks — ILLEGAL “religious harassment,” says a court.

Anti-veteran posters at Ohio State University — ILLEGAL “veteran status harassment,” says the federal government.

Goya’s “Naked Maja” painting displayed in a classroom — ILLEGAL sexual harassment, claims a professor; university takes the painting down for fear of liability.

“Any racial, religious, ethnic or other remarks . . . contrary to their fellow employees’ religious beliefs” — ILLEGAL, says a court injunction (enforceable by criminal contempt penalties).

“Any and all offensive . . . speech implicating considerations of race” — ILLEGAL, says another injunction.

Last edited:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Gainesville City Manager Russ Blackburn wants the church to pickup the tab, but said he doesn't know if the city has legal authority to force them to pay up.

He doesn't. I can understand being pissed that a douche that creates an international incident over nothing but this would be about as legit as NYC asking for the mosque builders to pay for the extra security for the protests against them.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
We don't get arrested, but sent a $200k bill for "extra security". Since they can't arrest you to squash free speech, they'll try to bankrupt you. http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/sep/22/florida-pastor-hit-200000-bill-koran-burning-event-ar-864981/
Using similar tactics to stifle free speech have been tried before and failed .

Pritchard v. Mackie, (S.D. Fla.), 811 F. Supp. 665, (January 16, 1993). A requirement that groups secure a $1 million liability policy prior to being permitted to use the town hall violated the Ku Klux Klan's First Amendment rights. This requirement imposed an undue burden on poorly financed groups.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not as much as we do :)

I am glad the UK does stuff like this. It gives America, hopefully, an example of what not to do.

We already have Generals telling us to STFU, you know Generals sworn to uphold Constitution which contains first Amendment part of which is freedom of speech.

Like I said just wait you'll see same shit here.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We already have Generals telling us to STFU, you know Generals sworn to uphold Constitution which contains first Amendment part of which is freedom of speech.

Like I said just wait you'll see same shit here.

The military was placed in an absolutely retarded position of winning hearts and minds. Not their fault that their lives hang on the whim of fanatical zealots. It is unfortunate that their interests are set directly against constitutional freedoms.

Blame then men who put them there for that purpose, and who keep them there to this day.

They shouldn't be there.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Serves the bigot right, intolerance should not be tolerated. For every fool spreading hateful ideology, it brings us one step closer to fascism. We need this kind of forward thinking in America, but the Republicans would be sure to hamper progress, like they always do.

Nazism and Islam have many similarities. We banned one.
AFAIK, Nazism is only illegal in Germany. There was a (Yankee) NeoNazi rally in my city not long ago.

Aug 14, 2001
They have a freaking inbred moron as their Overlord/Queen. The Queen probably ordered this...her subjects can't get too out of line.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Anti-Semitism in Hitler's Germany didn't grow by 'festering' under censorship, it grew by promotion by the use of free speech.

fail

it was free speach as long as you spoke words inline with the party ideology. say something bad about the party, Hitler or even hint at defeatism the Gestapo would be busting down your door and hauling your ass off.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Serves the bigot right, intolerance should not be tolerated. For every fool spreading hateful ideology, it brings us one step closer to fascism. We need this kind of forward thinking in America, but the Republicans would be sure to hamper progress, like they always do.

AFAIK, Nazism is only illegal in Germany. There was a (Yankee) NeoNazi rally in my city not long ago.

Wow you are out there.

Thankfully our laws do not relect your type of thinking.

Good ol' USA :)