Question Memory for Threadripper 2920x

Median64

Apr 1, 2020
Hello Everybody,
I built a Ryzen Threadripper 2920x system with below components:
MB: Gigabyte X399 Auros Pro (Bios upgraded to F2)
Ram: G.Skil Flare X F4-3200C16Q-64GFX
-PW supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+
-GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G

I use the machine for scientific computing (CFD, FEA), thus a memory bandwidth and quad channel memory functionality is very important.

The system showed several instability issues causing faulty file system/programs and BSOD every ~5 hours. Memtest86 shows many errors with XMP on or off and frequency range from 3200 MHz down to 2400 MHz. Windows crash report points out to hardware memory issues too.
I tried testing the modules one by one, 3 three modules pass full Memtest86 test @3200MHz, 1 module fails the test at any frequency (even 2133 MHz). The faulty module shows ~500 errors when tested individually. So I conclude that one module is faulty and the other modules are Ok as well as the Motherboard and CPU. Unfortunately the supplier is not willing to provide a replacement timely, they ask 4-6 weeks time to replace the memory.

I have to order new ram, I doubt between the below choice from Corsair:

The reason I doubt on CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 is that Corsair site does not mention it is compatible with X399, but only TrX40 is mentioned. Gigabyte website lists 16Gb version of this ram (C3200C16) in QVL but not for the 64 Gb.

The reason I doubt on CMK64GX4M4C3200C16 is that Corsair website does not mention it has quad/dual channel configuration (it does for the other one (C3200...)). It mentions that this memory is compatible with X399. In principal, are there memories not working in quad channel at all? Are memories categorized to quad/dual channel compatible and non-compatible? I did not see this definition somewhere.

Thanks, Median

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Have you talked to g.skill about a warranty swap? Might be quicker.

Anyway, the only difference between the two modules you have linked is that they are two hardware different revisions of the same module. The first one is revision 'B', while the 2nd one is revision 'C'. Otherwise, the specs are the same. The 'B' revision modules are on the X399 Aorus Pro's QVL list, the 'C' modules are not (but will probably work just fine since Corsair says they are compatible).

As long as the modules are identical (and a module kit should always be), I've never had a problem with getting dual/quad channel memory working. Frankly, this is true even when I purchased multiple single, but identical, model modules.

Where you run into problems is when you mix different modules where you end up with different module timings and sub-timings. You can sometimes make it work, but it is a lot of trial and error to find timings and sub-timings that will work on all the modules (and the stability you need might not be there). In the long run, it is simply easier just to get identical modules in the first place rather than mess with all of that.

I think you'll be good with either one, though if you are running scientific software you might want to consider ECC memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Median64