Memory for Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
So I just jumped on this awesome deal to upgrade my 12" PowerBook G4 (my favorite computer ever, the best size possible for a notebook) to a 2.16GHz 15" MacBook Pro.

The MBP ships with one 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM, and I'd like to put another one in there to double it to 2GB.

My question is, will any SO-DIMM allow it to run in dual channel, specifically these?

If not, what do I need?

Megamixman

Oct 30, 2004
You need to look for memory labeled that it is compatible with Apple Mac's. Thankfully, Newegg does this for us with this.
I'm not sure on how picky the new Mac's are now, but you might not be able to just throw in another stick of 1Gb. You might have to buy a matching pair. Hopefully, someone that has done this to an MBP will reply for you, but atleast that should help.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I upgraded the Ram in my Macbook (not pro) from the standard 2*256 to 2*512 and i used standard Corsair Value SO-DIMMs. Make sure you get DDR2-667 5300 and you will be set. They are not nearly as picky as they used to be. It is generally advised to use the same brand RAM as is already in your laptop, with the same timings. So you may just be better off getting a dual channel kit. Since you have an actual graphics card, you do not need the dual channel as much as those of us with integrated do. But, the dual channel kit will ensure that the two sticks are matched is all.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Macs are definently not as picky as they used to be. during the PPC age, if the memory has the wrong timing, the system wouldn't boot.

make sure you get the same speed RAM though and it should be fine.

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
I see from the reviews that people have used it in MBPs, so that should be fine.

I already bought one 1GB stick (comes with the sytem), so it seems like a waste to buy another.

So what you are saying is that almost any memory with the same speed and timings will run in dual channel on the MacBooks? I know almost all DDR2-667 SO-DIMMs are CAS5.

crfracer290

Oct 25, 2006
keeleysam, I was wondering the same thing as I am fixing to purchase a MBP and I was going to just get one 1GB stick and then put in that same stick of Buffalo RAM for 87 bucks instead of the 152 Apple charges...let me know if/when you purchase it and how it works out.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
The MBP-2 (Core 2) version seemsto be somewhat less picky than the original MacBook Pro, which apparently had some nasty issues with RAM compatibility. Corsair is a good bet, as is Buffalo.