Memory Booster App Works? WTF

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I always thought that memory booster apps for Android were pointless but my V20 has its sluggish moments and when checking I would see it would only have 300 or so MB left and so genius me put 2 and 2 together and decided after years of deriding memory boosters I'd give it a go. Found one called Memory Booster Plus and damned if the thing doesn't work. It's been just over a full day and no slowdowns at all. Now I generally have 700mb of memory free at any given moment that can be utlized if I launch a bunch of stuff. I suppose it works hand in hand with Androids own memory management. I had no idea.

Oh and here is a pic of my latest icon set find.

i-pKtDxDP-L.png

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Oh and it's not necessarily an LG thing. My girlfriend's G6 is just perfectly snappy 99.5% of the time. I have factory reset my V20 three times and the slowdowns came fast. Anyways, will update after a week of this app.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Caching things in RAM is better use of RAM instead having lots of unused memory. Android tries to balance between two.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
A more effective approach would be to disable (or uninstall if you're rooted) apps that you dont use. Unless the memory booster app re-applies at startup or run on a scheduler, the slowness is going to creep back eventually.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Caching things in RAM is better use of RAM instead having lots of unused memory. Android tries to balance between two.

I know that in earlier iterations of Android it was an issue but in newer Android OS versions it does a good job of RAM management. That doesn't seem to be the case on the LG V20 on Nougat that I have. But because I thought the OS was supposed to do a good job I did not think of trying a memory cleaner.

A more effective approach would be to disable (or uninstall if you're rooted) apps that you dont use. Unless the memory booster app re-applies at startup or run on a scheduler, the slowness is going to creep back eventually.

I just did a factory reset so only have apps on there I use. The memory cleaner I use does have a scheduler - it can clean the memory at X intervals of time OR when memory usage goes over a set percentage. I have it set to clean every 30 minutes and every time memory usage goes over 85%. So far so good. I'm impressed. I'm sure not all memory boosters/cleaners are made the same.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It's likely that LG's software is just trash, and this cleaner is helping keep it in check.

Typically, you should still avoid apps like this, because the stuff it kills will just re-open itself, and your battery life suffers while these apps fight each other for RAM and cycles.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's likely that LG's software is just trash, and this cleaner is helping keep it in check.

Typically, you should still avoid apps like this, because the stuff it kills will just re-open itself, and your battery life suffers while these apps fight each other for RAM and cycles.

I thought that about LG but they seemed to have done well with the G6. My GF came from being an iPhone user for years to the G6 a few months ago, and when asked the other day said it is smooth and fast and rarely stutters. So far battery life seems a touch worse for me but I'll take it as the phone runs a whole lot of smoother for me more of the time. As in like just about all of it.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I mean, if it's doing the trick for you, I won't fight it. That's just the explanation of why those apps should typically be avoided.

I'm hoping LG has fully bounced back from their bootloop issues of the last couple years, since I'm getting the Pixel 2 XL.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I mean, if it's doing the trick for you, I won't fight it. That's just the explanation of why those apps should typically be avoided.

I'm hoping LG has fully bounced back from their bootloop issues of the last couple years, since I'm getting the Pixel 2 XL.

I hope so too. I've had mine for 6 months is my guess, and she's had her LG for 3 and so far no bootloop issues. I kinda want the V30 now but that ain't happenin :)