Member Neutrality Competition

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Hi there M!

Looks like some folks figure they have you figgured out. :D

No one is "neutral" here.

Reasonable? LunarRay, Orsorum, Glenn1 and some others.

Me? I think reasonable is overrated :p

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Me? I think reasonable is overrated :p

I like the way you think. ;)

We're all just makin' noise. I'm not here to be reasonable, I'm here to be entertained. Rush ain't got schitt on this place. :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Liberal and conservative are two aspects of truth that are united in higher understanding. Each is partly true and each is partly false without that higher understanding. Humanity seeks answers externally in politics, but there are no answers there, only ways to avoid ones inner reality. You understand everything when you know yourself and nothing if you don't. Life is a paradox that resolves in consciousness. The last frontier is self knowledge and it will always be so because it is the one place we fear to go.

The cool thing about this forum is that it provides the occasional chance to look at ourselves and sometimes that means we learn.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
I second the motion for glenn 1.

Sometimes we agree, sometimes not, but he's always reasonable.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hi there M!

Looks like some folks figure they have you figgured out.

----------
Yeah, now if they can only explain why the me they see is them.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Hi there M!

Looks like some folks figure they have you figgured out. :D

No one is "neutral" here.

Well, what would be the point of discussion without dischord? (It would be like watching FNC!)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'd be willing to wager whatever you are willing that he votes Democrat consistently and considers himself a liberal (though I'm sure he'd waste a couple thousand drug-influenced words to deny that for your benefit if he thought he could). IMO, he's a classic Berkely liberal wrapped in a lot of "whoa dude far out" words and a heavy dose of sarcasm.
===================
Shows what you know. That God Damned Berkeley expelled me for being too liberal.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Glenn1, Kibbo, DealMonkey, myself ;), WinstonSmith, Osorum (I think), and CAD once every blue moon

Edit: And Bozack

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Shows what you know. That God Damned Berkeley expelled me for being too liberal.

:beer:

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: onelove
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
Originally posted by: Perknose
Moonbeam.

I DARE you to successfully put him into a category!
i think the: "Tinfoil hat warring nut-job who?s done to many hallucinogenic drugs for his own wellbeing." category fits like a glove.
actually, I think this is the "nominate an impartial member" thread, not the "attack another member of your choice" thread. Maybe you were seconding the nomination and I misunderstood, though...

eh, i was goaded into it :p
Well, that's the tricky thing about halluciongens, LMK -- too many, not enough, it always hard for the committed truth seeker to tell.
best point all thread :sun:
Liberal and conservative are two aspects of truth that are united in higher understanding. Each is partly true and each is partly false without that higher understanding. Humanity seeks answers externally in politics, but there are no answers there, only ways to avoid ones inner reality. You understand everything when you know yourself and nothing if you don't. Life is a paradox that resolves in consciousness. The last frontier is self knowledge and it will always be so because it is the one place we fear to go.
music man, rolln' stones, paint it black.

Originally posted by: glenn1
Red Dawn is a category killer. It's always a surprise when he posts because I never have any clue what side of any given argument he'll come down on.
Pro-American liberal; such a rarity that he confuses most people with his views.

While ultimately, I lean towards the traditional Democrat ideals, I am by no means a 'liberal'.
then your a northern republican, good to know.

I think he is Canadian, so it might be difficult to align him with one of our parties.
is that a sly, Canadians are retarded joke?

seriously, they've gone so far to the left in Canada that when a reasonable person hears a conservative point of view they actually give it some thought! something very dangerous to the population control that a liberal government thrives on.
Hmm, I suppose you're right, I was thinking more "Reasonable" than "Neutral"
meto

There's no option for fiscally conservative, socially progressive in your system.
All Americans are for freedom, but we disagree about the definition of freedom.
That we shouldn't choose to be free both morally to destroy the nation, goes hand-in hand with being free from central government control, particularly as shown by smaller government. In the end social policy is a question of big government vs. small government, being for over-arching controls of the people is big-government and why conservatives are against it: even if ?progressives? disguise such thought-controls as ?progressing the nation?

But the libertarian party is fiscally conservative socially liberal, and consistently get a few points on the vote.

Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: Stunt

There's no option for fiscally conservative, socially progressive in your system.

Doesn't that describe Schwarzenegger?

maybe, but he's a republican because his brand of social conservatism means going with what the people of your state want, not trying to press social views on the people like a true social liberal does.

On the other hand the Republicans always give in to the Lunatic Fringe of their party. Making Ashcroft AG for example!
hey, only reason i need to vote for bush a second time.

Well, what would be the point of discussion without discord? (It would be like watching FNC!)
if anything FNC gives both sides a say, though slanted by the commentators

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've always considered myself to be reasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a total liberal, but I'm at least opened to other sides of the argument (like the gun issue thread, where my viewpoint was seriously and literally changed IRL).

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Red Dawn is a category killer. It's always a surprise when he posts because I never have any clue what side of any given argument he'll come down on.
Pro-American liberal; such a rarity that he confuses most people with his views.
You could try to pigeonhole me as a Liberal but then I would shock you with some of my conservative notions. I'm an Atheist but I believe everybody has a right to worship as they please as long as I am not forced to follow it. I'm Pro Choice but them I would hope the choice would be life. I'm for Gun Control but only if it would keep the guns out of criminals and whackos hands, not law abiding citizens. I am for our Military actions in Afghanistan but I believe the Dub's excellent adventure in Iraq was ill conceived and actually has distracted our war against terror. I'm for the Death Penalty in special cases. I'm unsure about taxes though I admit it doesn't bother me that the Rich get taxed more. However if I was Rich I can assure you that it would.I certainly don't believe in the Welfare system as it is, I do believe in helping those unfortunate to be poor but only if they also help themselves. I didn't blame Bush for the economic downturn, of course I don't give him credit for it's recovery either. I don't believe that Kerry is the right man for President but then I do believe that the Dub is definately the wrong man. I think the UC Republicans are a bunch of hypocrites but so are the Liberal Democrats. I don't trust our government no matter which party is in power due to them proving time and time again that they aren't really trustworthy. I don't see us as the World's Policeman and that we should only intervene when it benefits us.

Most of all, if a good reason is given to support an agenda or action that makes since to me then it doesn't matter who is making that argument. When the Dub laid out his reasons to invade and occupy Iraq I originally supported it (serves me right for trusting him) but since his main reasons have been shown to be suspect at best I do feel that he mislead me and now I suspect everything he says. Maybe if I were a true Republican Partisan like you I could overlook his BS and maybe even defend or apoligize for it but since I'm not so I don't. Now if that makes me a Liberal in your eyes so be it. I just don't see myself that way.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
:beer: to you RD. I pretty much agree with you down the line.

For my vote? I'd say WinstonSmith, Corn, Red Dawn, and Vic tend to bring me back to center whenever I stray too far to one side, or get too loud in my blathering about the evilness of progressive taxation or why the Dub should be locked up in his ranch in Crawford, never to be seen again.

Cheers!
Nate

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The rich don't get taxed more red and orsrum. Only in income taxes do pay a progressive rate. Reps love to show how the top 50% pays 96% of income taxes. But it's does'nt tell the whole story as income taxes are only a fractional part of national and state budgets. Social security is a heavily regressive tax since it always paid even by the poorest no exemptionss and stops at 89K... after that your income is immune to it. Sales taxes are another example of a regressive tax since poor people spend most of thier money almost thier whole income is subject to it. on down the line.

This study shows for example how taxes when taken as a whole are pretty flat regaurdless of income.

http://ase.tufts.edu/gdae/Pubs/wp/03-10-Tax_Incidence.pdf

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: tallest1
Glenn1, Kibbo, DealMonkey, myself ;), WinstonSmith, Osorum (I think), and CAD once every blue moon

Now that my summer finals are over, I just realized I misinterpreted the OP. I was thinking of people who aren't overly aggressive in coming to a point.... to my [short term & burned out] knowledge anyway. Just wanted to clear that up

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Now that my summer finals are over, I just realized I misinterpreted the OP. I was thinking of people who aren't overly aggressive in coming to a point.... to my [short term & burned out] knowledge anyway. Just wanted to clear that up

lol I'm not all that moderate, I just do a good job of hiding my own opinion. :p

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Don't know if this has been said already but if there was actually someone on the board who was truly unbiased (even to a realistic extent) they likely would be here just long enough to determine the rest of us are simply here for a good fight. This forum feeds of bias like Limbaugh feeds off cheeseburgers and oxycotin.

ciba

Apr 27, 2004
3chordcharlie gets my vote. While he isn ot as vocal as some, he always discusses things civilly. Couple this with reasonable intelligence and he is a deserving nominee!

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
You could try to pigeonhole me as a Liberal but then I would shock you with some of my conservative notions. I'm an Atheist but I believe everybody has a right to worship as they please as long as I am not forced to follow it. I'm Pro Choice but them I would hope the choice would be life. I'm for Gun Control but only if it would keep the guns out of criminals and whackos hands, not law abiding citizens. I am for our Military actions in Afghanistan but I believe the Dub's excellent adventure in Iraq was ill conceived and actually has distracted our war against terror. I'm for the Death Penalty in special cases. I'm unsure about taxes though I admit it doesn't bother me that the Rich get taxed more. However if I was Rich I can assure you that it would.I certainly don't believe in the Welfare system as it is, I do believe in helping those unfortunate to be poor but only if they also help themselves. I didn't blame Bush for the economic downturn, of course I don't give him credit for it's recovery either. I don't believe that Kerry is the right man for President but then I do believe that the Dub is definately the wrong man. I think the UC Republicans are a bunch of hypocrites but so are the Liberal Democrats. I don't trust our government no matter which party is in power due to them proving time and time again that they aren't really trustworthy. I don't see us as the World's Policeman and that we should only intervene when it benefits us.

Most of all, if a good reason is given to support an agenda or action that makes since to me then it doesn't matter who is making that argument. When the Dub laid out his reasons to invade and occupy Iraq I originally supported it (serves me right for trusting him) but since his main reasons have been shown to be suspect at best I do feel that he mislead me and now I suspect everything he says. Maybe if I were a true Republican Partisan like you I could overlook his BS and maybe even defend or apoligize for it but since I'm not so I don't. Now if that makes me a Liberal in your eyes so be it. I just don't see myself that way.

I wouldn't label you as a liberal. I'd label you as a conservative who is so pissed off about his boy McCain getting whooped that he can't see past his hatred of that to see that Bush is a better choice than Kerry.

I kind of like your wishy washy convictions though.. You support religion, but only so far as it doesn't affect you (How the 10 commandments in a courthouse would affect you, I don't know.. but I suspect you would be against them). You support choice, but HOPE people choose otherwise (The ultimate cop out).. You are pro-guns in the hands of non-criminals (brilliant, did you come up with that one yourself?).. You are for the death penalty in special cases.. ok, thats nice.. I guess we will consult you when its OK and when its not.. You are OK with the rich getting taxed, unless you became rich.. nice convictions.. you are starting to make Kerry look like a non-flip-flopper. You believe in helping the poor, but only if they help themselves.. nevermind most probably wouldn't be poor if they did help themselves.. but OK, how you guage people 'helping themselves' is beyond me.. But I will take your word for it thats its possible. Kerry isn't the right man, but Bush isn't either? Let me guess, McCain would bring world peace the day after he was elected? Give me a break, make a decision..

Dear lord.. I can't continue.. (Oops, hope I didn't offend you with the reference to God, since you are OK with religion, just when it forced upon you that you have a problem with it.. hope writing it in a message doesn't 'force' it upon you). You are right, you are not a liberal. Liberals I have seen actually make a stand on issues and believe in them.. you can't seem to decide whether you are coming or going. MAKE A CHOICE.. At least Bush is willing to make tough choices, I get the feeling you spend 3 hours every morning deciding if you want to wear the polo shirt with the aligator, or the button up. I might label you as bi-polar, but most bi-polar people I have seen don't seem to go back and forth as much as you do.

If you were President, you would STILL be reading the book to the little kids.. afraid that any decision you might make might offend someone.. I dunno man, next time you need to make a decision, flip a coin.. it might make you a little more consistent.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Crimson

I wouldn't label you as a liberal. I'd label you as a conservative who is so pissed off about his boy McCain getting whooped that he can't see past his hatred of that to see that Bush is a better choice than Kerry.

I kind of like your wishy washy convictions though.. You support religion, but only so far as it doesn't affect you (How the 10 commandments in a courthouse would affect you, I don't know.. but I suspect you would be against them). You support choice, but HOPE people choose otherwise (The ultimate cop out).. You are pro-guns in the hands of non-criminals (brilliant, did you come up with that one yourself?).. You are for the death penalty in special cases.. ok, thats nice.. I guess we will consult you when its OK and when its not.. You are OK with the rich getting taxed, unless you became rich.. nice convictions.. you are starting to make Kerry look like a non-flip-flopper. You believe in helping the poor, but only if they help themselves.. nevermind most probably wouldn't be poor if they did help themselves.. but OK, how you guage people 'helping themselves' is beyond me.. But I will take your word for it thats its possible. Kerry isn't the right man, but Bush isn't either? Let me guess, McCain would bring world peace the day after he was elected? Give me a break, make a decision..

Dear lord.. I can't continue.. (Oops, hope I didn't offend you with the reference to God, since you are OK with religion, just when it forced upon you that you have a problem with it.. hope writing it in a message doesn't 'force' it upon you). You are right, you are not a liberal. Liberals I have seen actually make a stand on issues and believe in them.. you can't seem to decide whether you are coming or going. MAKE A CHOICE.. At least Bush is willing to make tough choices, I get the feeling you spend 3 hours every morning deciding if you want to wear the polo shirt with the aligator, or the button up. I might label you as bi-polar, but most bi-polar people I have seen don't seem to go back and forth as much as you do.

If you were President, you would STILL be reading the book to the little kids.. afraid that any decision you might make might offend someone.. I dunno man, next time you need to make a decision, flip a coin.. it might make you a little more consistent.

Boy, you have a lot of free-floating anger, huh? Sounds to me like you either have way too much time on your hands, you have an unhealthy crush on Red Dawn, or (most likely) you are desperately uncomfortable with a person whose views are more nuanced than your own.