Meet The Press: Russert - His press aid ended the interview early!!

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Unfreakin believable....

Tim Russert, remember him?He was the self-righteous talking head that interviewed Colin Powell last week.

The libs were going wild (including Russert) about Powell's aide trying to stop an interview that ran over the scheduled time. Russert tried to turn this into something..what i don't quite know...

well...turns out Brian Lehrer interviewed Tim Russert for WNYC radio TWO DAYS EARLIER:
"We were given precisely 10 minutes with Russert to tape an interview...Eight minutes into the interview, a woman's voice cut in and barked, 'WNYC, you have eight seconds left!' And the interview came to a quick end.".."It was no big deal," Lehrer said, noting that the interrupter was not an NBC News employee. "These things happen.

But two days later, Secretary of State Powell's press aide, Emily Miller, was so desperate to keep her boss on schedule that she tried to end Russert's taped interview when it ran into overtime. The "Meet the Press" moderator went ballistic.

Not only did Russert castigate Powell's aide on his own NBC show, he gave righteously indignant interviews about "attempted news management gone berserk" to CNN and The Washington Post.

On Monday, Lehrer poked fun at Russert's tantrum by airing the rude interruption that he had earlier excised.

"If Colin Powell's people were guilty of attempted news management gone berserk," Lehrer told me yesterday, "then I can say only that Tim Russert's people succeeded at it."

Russert could not be interrupted for comment yesterday

duplictious liberal "news" anchor...his own staff did exactly the same thing that Powells staff did, yet he tries to twist the Powell interview into something it isn't..i

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I was waiting for some right-wing nutjob to post this. I knew you wouldn't disappoint, heartsurgeon.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Duplicitous. Very nice.

Umm, the difference is, they were limiting the interview because of time contraints, not to stop a certain type of question from being answered, as in Poweel's interview.
I know, slight difference, but a difference nonetheless. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: conjur
I was waiting for some right-wing nutjob to post this. I knew you wouldn't disappoint, heartsurgeon.

So that would make you the left-wing nutjob for posting the other one? ;)

Thanks for the info HS.

CkG

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Har har har to the best of my knowledge Russert is very moderate or perhaps a little conservative?

EDIT: Of course to certain members around here, 60-70% of the US is "left-wing."

Zephyr

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
heartsurgeon,

do you have any evidence that russert ended his interview because of the questions being asked? THat's probably the difference. Powell's aids were trying to cut and run BECAUSE of the questions being asked. You haven't shown that Russert left the interview for the same reason. In other words, you have failed to show that Russert was being a hypocrite.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I think everyone is overlooking one important detail:

Eight minutes into the interview, a woman's voice cut in and barked, 'WNYC, you have eight seconds left!' and the interview came to a quick end."

That doesn't mean it came to end as soon as those eight seconds were up. Seems to be purposefully vague in order to sell this as somehow contradictory of the interview with Powell where no notice was given and the camera was abruptly moved off of Powell.

I mean, look at the source of the article. The NY Daily News?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Infohawk
heartsurgeon,

do you have any evidence that russert ended his interview because of the questions being asked? THat's probably the difference. Powell's aids were trying to cut and run BECAUSE of the questions being asked. You haven't shown that Russert left the interview for the same reason. In other words, you have failed to show that Russert was being a hypocrite.

Do you have troubles reading? YOU assume she was ending a 10 minute interview at 14 minutes because of the questioning instead of time, but that doesn't make it true.

Still funny though that Russert tried to end an interview abruptly just a few days before the Powell situation. Boy oh boy we'll have to see if the "elite" press will notify the public of this. I got $5 in my hand...

CkG

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Russert is a liberal now?! Are you kidding?

Well, on second thought, if you are heartsurgeon, I imagine almost everyone you meet classifies as a "liberal".

*shrug*

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Representing Tim Russert as a "Liberal" rather vividly illustrates just how far the Rabid Right is willing to go in terms of a smear-job. All one has to do is recall the attempted hatchet job on Howard Dean vs the Kid Gloves used in the Bush interview to appreciate just how utterly absurd the entire premise really is.

If Russert is a Liberal, then a lot of formerly good republicans are likewise. Just because the radical reactionaries currently leading the Republican party say somebody is "Liberal" doesn't make it so. At this rate, they'll denounce Eisenhower and Nixon as pinko-commie-f@ggot lovers before it's over...

Which I suppose is natural, given that Bush achieved his minority presidency by campaigning to the middle, exploiting the Electoral College process and certain voting irregularities in Florida... They're getting desperate, working to consolidate their base... Have at it- Bush sure as hell can't misrepresent hmself as a moderate, a uniter, a guy interested in bipartisanship, who'd restore honor and dignity to the Whitehouse- not based on his record, that's for sure...

Raise those strident voices, pander to the wealthy and the fundie dominionists, the greedy, the fearful, the ignorant- see how many swing votes you can drive off, into the arms of the opposition. Please do. Tell everybody who you really are and what you truly represent, please....

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

lol, edit: cad caught it first

:D

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
heartsurgeon,

Do you have troubles reading? YOU assume she was ending a 10 minute interview at 14 minutes because of the questioning instead of time, but that doesn't make it true.

Still funny though that Russert tried to end an interview abruptly just a few days before the Powell situation. Boy oh boy we'll have to see if the "elite" press will notify the public of this. I got $5 in my hand...

CkG

"Do you have troubles reading? "
No, I don't. Does it make you feel better to ask me that question? If you want to imagine I'm dyslexic, go for it.

"YOU assume she was ending a 10 minute interview at 14 minutes because of the questioning instead of time, but that doesn't make it true."
Who are you talking about here? Russert or Powell's interview? Try and be more clear in your writing.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: arsbanned
Stop posting HS.

Righhht. Like that's gonna happen.
The nice thing about him, it's like he's not really there. He never responds directly. Sort of like a robot.

Why exactly should he stop posting?

Should conjur stop posting too?

CkG

:cookie;

;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
heartsurgeon,

CkG

No, I don't. Does it make you feel better to ask me that question? If you want to imagine I'm dyslexic, go for it.

"YOU assume she was ending a 10 minute interview at 14 minutes because of the questioning instead of time, but that doesn't make it true."
Who are you talking about here? Russert or Powell's interview? Try and be more clear in your writing.

Eight minutes into the interview, a woman's voice cut in and barked, 'WNYC, you have eight seconds left!' And the interview came to a quick end."
That was from the article linked by conjur about Russert being interviewed - so use some "LOGIC" and figure out which one I was talking about lest you prove your reading issues;)

CkG

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
heartsurgeon,

CkG

Eight minutes into the interview, a woman's voice cut in and barked, 'WNYC, you have eight seconds left!' And the interview came to a quick end."
That was from the article linked by conjur about Russert being interviewed - so use some "LOGIC" and figure out which one I was talking about lest you prove your reading issues;)

CkG

The linking of the article and the quote out of context shows nothing. BOTH interviews were discussed in the articles and the quote could apply to either interview. If you'd like to save time, try and be clearer.

Don't pin your lack of a well-written post on my reading comprehension. For example, I could write:
"He said he was that." And then if you asked me a question about it I could attack your reading skills. You're doing the same thing. Stop it. Write clearly and don't be afraid to explain what your positions are.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
heartsurgeon,

CkG

CkG

The linking of the article and the quote out of context shows nothing. BOTH interviews were discussed in the articles and the quote could apply to either interview. If you'd like to save time, try and be clearer.

Don't pin your lack of a well-written post on my reading comprehension. For example, I could write:
"He said he was that." And then if you asked me a question about it I could attack your reading skills. You're doing the same thing. Stop it. Write clearly and don't be afraid to explain what your positions are.

OK, one at a time for the slow(and/or those who didn't/cant read the linked article)....

Who's 10 minute interview ran 13 (14 full interview) minutes before being cut off?

Who's 10 minute interview ran 8 minutes before being cut off?

CkG

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
OK, one at a time for the slow(and/or those who didn't/cant read the linked article)....

Who's [sic] 10 minute interview ran 14 minutes before being cut off?
Russert's interview of Powell was ended abruptly (moving the camera off of Powell...and Powell demanding the interview to continue on.) after 13 minutes.

Who's [sic] 10 minute interview ran 8 minutes before being cut off?
The article doesn't say that Russert's aid cut off the interview after 8 minutes. All it says is the interview quickly ended. It may have continued on to a graceful ending. I'm betting that's the case as the article was intentionally vague on that point.