Medium Rare Steak from Outback + Aphex

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
= stomach ache heaven today....

blugh...

i think that thing was more on the rare side than medium rare, but oh, how excellent it tasted...

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Have you tried Bern's in Tampa? It is at a different budget level than Outback but if you save up a few of your trips to Outback and go to Bern's instead, you won't regret it. Fantastic steaks. Check it out.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
= stomach ache heaven today....

blugh...

i think that thing was more on the rare side than medium rare, but oh, how excellent it tasted...
take a dump... you'll feel better :p

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
I have a stomach ache too, but eating a medium rare steak is not the cause of it.

Originally posted by: Reel
Have you tried Bern's in Tampa? It is at a different budget level than Outback but if you save up a few of your trips to Outback and go to Bern's instead, you won't regret it. Fantastic steaks. Check it out.
Bern's is the best steakhouse I've ever been to, with some of the best service I've ever experienced. 10/10. ;)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Muadib
Eating rare steak = asking to be food poisoned.

No it doesn't. I eat medium rare to rare steak all the time, well, whenever I eat steak anyway. As long as the outer edges of the meat are cooked there is no danger of e-coli on the meat inside.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
nah, that's with ground beef because it is handled more.
Steaks get handled quite a bit too. If they don't cook it to 140F all the way through, then the risk of harmful bacteria surviving is quite high. It's one thing if you're the one doing the cooking, but quite another when eating out. Why take the risk?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

No it doesn't. I eat medium rare to rare steak all the time, well, whenever I eat steak anyway. As long as the outer edges of the meat are cooked there is no danger of e-coli on the meat inside.
I guess I should have added when dining out, as I eat my steak
medium rare myself. I eat it medium when I eat out though, it just safer that way.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

medium rare myself. I eat it medium when I eat out though, it just safer that way.

Bacteria cannot penetrate the meat. All you're doing is ruining good steaks when you eat out over an irrational fear. It's no safer as long as the outside of the steak is cooked to 165 degrees.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

Bacteria cannot penetrate the meat. All you're doing is ruining good steaks when you eat out over an irrational fear. It's no safer as long as the outside of the steak is cooked to 165 degrees.

correct. You only need to sear the outside of muscle for it to be edible. fish is the same.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

Bacteria cannot penetrate the meat. All you're doing is ruining good steaks when you eat out over an irrational fear. It's no safer as long as the outside of the steak is cooked to 165 degrees.165 isn't rare, that's considered to be medium.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

165 isn't rare, that's considered to be medium.

165 on the OUTSIDE, not the inside. The inside can remain cool and be safely eaten, because the bacteria cannot penetrate the meat.

Since the process of searing even a rare steak heats the exterior to well over 400 degrees, a rare steak is perfectly safe.

May 31, 2001
Damn, all of this is making me hungry. I think I will go get some bison steaks as soon as the store opens today. :p~

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

165 on the OUTSIDE, not the inside. The inside can remain cool and be safely eaten, because the bacteria cannot penetrate the meat.

Since the process of searing even a rare steak heats the exterior to well over 400 degrees, a rare steak is perfectly safe.
Yes, but you are talking about a properly cooked steak. Don't take my word for it, just call your local hospital and ask how many cases they get a year. IMO, it's not worth the risk.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Yes, but you are talking about a properly cooked steak. Don't take my word for it, just call your local hospital and ask how many cases they get a year. IMO, it's not worth the risk.

Do you walk to the restaurant too, since driving there isn't worth the risk?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

And steak thrown on the grill long enough to be considered "rare" IS properly cooked. Rare is not raw.

By the time you've browned/seared the outside of a steak, ANY bacteria is long dead.

The incidence of poisoning from beef is not from rare steaks, but undercooked GROUND BEEF. With ground beef, the bacteria can be through the entire patty because it is ground up.

With a steak, the bacteria CANNOT penetrate the interior, therefore the interior of the steak does NOT have to reach 165 degrees.

You must at least understand the "risk" before you warn others of it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Kalvin00

I'm in control of the driving.;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kalvin00

I'm in control of the driving.;)

true but you are not in control of the idiot that blows the red light and kills you!