mediacreation tool error 0x80070003 -0xA001A

May 11, 2008
In preparation for my new pc, i am busy trying to get everything ready.
Only, that damned media creation tool that did not work when i went over to windows 10 from windows 7 many moons ago still has errors today for some reason.
I downloaded the latest version but it is no use. It comes back with some cryptic error and searching for it does not provide answers, only worries because so many people have this issue and there is no solution it seems.
I tried to install windows 10 on a flash drive.
After starting the media creation tool and it starts progressing, my flash drive pops up as an unrecognized device through the windows 10 notification popup and has no longer any files or filesystem on it.
And the media creation tool stop with this error : 0x80070003 -0xA001A.
I turned off the option that my virus scanner is checking usb devices. I told my firewall to allow all from windows. But to no prevail.

Anybody know how to fix this ?

Does anybody know where to get the windows iso files from ?
Microsoft used to have a link towards the iso files but now i am forced to use the mediacreation tool which does not work or i have to pay for a subscription.

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
I tried creating the usb flash drive with the MCT, but it wouldn't work. So, in the MCT, there is an option to download the iso, so that is what I did and created the flash drive with rufus.

May 11, 2008
I do have to mention that it is not my flash drive itself. There is a folder called boot on it and a file called autorun.inf .
In the boot folder there are two files called boot and boot.sdi.
The flash drive is a brand new S102/ 16GB pro from ADATA. It is an USB3.1 drive with 25MB/sec sustained write speed and 131MB/sec read speed. I tested it first by copying a large 3.4GB to it and then reading it back. It works fine. It is just the media creation tool that is not working.
It is on a usb3.0 root hub port from the motherboard directly and not in a hub itself.

http://www.adata.com/us/feature/145

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
I tried creating the usb flash drive with the MCT, but it wouldn't work. So, in the MCT, there is an option to download the iso, so that is what I did and created the flash drive with rufus.
Ah, i will try that option tomorrow (It is late and i really need to sleep). Thank you.

May 11, 2008
Well, i downloaded the iso file and used rufus. And it all seems to work. The PC boots from the usb stick.