Media Server Build

Coach72

Mar 5, 2013
First off, great site - looks like some really informative stuff here!

Here's my situation. About 6 weeks ago, we decided to ditch our cable service and save $150 a month. In addition to the broadcast channels, we now watch everything either through our Roku box or streamed from my PC with Plex - and we love it!

I spend a lot of time in the evenings on my PC , and don't like the idea of my system being so heavily taxed while I'm working or gaming. I'm thinking I'll piece together a system for the sole purpose of streaming, downloading, media storage, and light net surfing. I've "built" all of my systems for the past 15 years, so I am somewhat familiar with the process.

Here's my question: realizing that my new media server pc WILL NOT be used for gaming or watching movies, which component is more important in my build - the CPU or Video Card (the whole transcoding thing throws me off)?

Thanks for your help and I welcome any advice!

Sep 12, 2004
The answer to your question is easy - the CPU is more important. For the usage you've specified an i5 would be plenty and even an i3 would probably suit your purposes.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
CPU by far as others have said. Is this just going to be a NAS or a full blown server? Any ideas what you're planning to run if the latter?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Depending on what you do with the server, maybe not much of either.

I use my home server for holding files (pics, music, videos, software) and streaming to the TV. That's it. Running an old Compaq with a Sempron and onboard video. Just added some memory, and it does fine.

About the only time it feels slow is pulling large files from it through the wireless connection, which of course has nothing to do with the speed of the server.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
Congrats on saving the $150 a month!

I agree with ketchup, if you have an older pc laying around you may be able to go without buying new parts. I've had parts laying around and built one using a core duo e2180, 4gb ram, a tv card w/ beyond tv, and an old copy of xp. It dishes movies to my htpc upstairs w/o a problem.