Mechwarrior 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
Die hard MW fan here. Preordered. Love it; both SP and MP. Only complaint may be that it’s too easy, coming from getting beat up by Tier 1 players in MWO. The AI’s not competent at all in default settings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feb 4, 2009
Die hard MW fan here. Preordered. Love it; both SP and MP. Only complaint may be that it’s too easy, coming from getting beat up by Tier 1 players in MWO. The AI’s not competent at all in default settings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How does the multiplayer work?
Seems like there is a co-op option is that true and are those mission substantial (like they take a moderate amount of time to complete)

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
Ive been playing it a few days and enjoying it. Dont seem to have run into any bugs except the game crashed out once during alt tab shennanigans. Reminds me alot of mw3 and 4. The co-op so far is good, lets you play through the campaigh with other people. Only things i dont like is that the tutorial missions cannot be skipped and i cant seem to add ai pilots to missions during co-op. Graphics are great, game play is enjoyable. Controls took a little adjusting. Worth the buy if you enjoyed mw3 & 4

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
How does the multiplayer work?
Seems like there is a co-op option is that true and are those mission substantial (like they take a moderate amount of time to complete)
Think of it as L4D but with big, stompy robots instead of zombies (or the CoD zombie levels). Unfortunately, again - the AI isn't the greatest; competent as it shoots you, but doesn't rely too much on tactics or practice the tenet of overpower. The AI randomly spreads damage not only on each mech, but thru your party as well. Most of the time, you and your teammates survive, and the battlemechs have most of their armor stripped vice focus on specific mech areas (arms on a Rifleman, legs on your lights, etc.). For those that play against the BT AI; it's gotten very good at ganging up on a single, critical mech in your lance, and will automatically focus on overheated or knocked down allies. When you shut down in MW5, in the middle of the battle - I don't get worried as I should.

Please understand that the other players you bring into the campaign only take the place of the AIs. Adding human intelligence to the mix only makes the AI gap even worse, since now you have all your other mechs focusing their damage tactically. In addition, the maintenance, upkeep, and configuration of your mechs is strictly yours. Your fellow players cannot configure your mechs, only pilot them.

It's still a lot of fun; many more aspects of gameplay than MWO are presented - but I wish there was more of a challenge presented by the AI. If you're a fan of the MW series, this latest installment shouldn't disappoint.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
After playing this for awhile I'm getting tired of the terrible AI. Your lance mates are morons that you should never risk nice equipment with. I have no idea how one pilot keeps dying while driving a stalker vs lights and mediums. Then they throw insane waves of enemies at you to compensate for the bad AI. There is no way a lance should be expected to take out 30 enemies without repair. What makes it worse is that if you take any internal hits it quickly turns into a loss for you. There doesn't appear to be any abort mission option. So if a lancemate takes some unlucky hits early on you can't back out. You just have to save scum if you don't want to eat a huge loss.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats what everyone says.
AI so bad the game is a chore to play.
I guess they were planning on multiplayer saving the day?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Really, they actually think their game is going to compete vs CyberPunk?!

I am a huge MW and BT fan, but MW5 was a disgrace to the franchise. Maybe a MW6 will go back to its roots and with an engine that does it justice.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Really, they actually think their game is going to compete vs CyberPunk?!

I am a huge MW and BT fan, but MW5 was a disgrace to the franchise. Maybe a MW6 will go back to its roots and with an engine that does it justice.
No, they did not.
Thats why they shifted the date.

And given all the people unhappy with CyberPunk, maybe they can make a killing here.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
No, they did not.
Thats why they shifted the date.

And given all the people unhappy with CyberPunk, maybe they can make a killing here.

My point was, nobody is cross shopping Cyber Punk and MechWarrior. Most people that would like one, would not like the other.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, if they fix the AI in this, or the community fixes the AI in this, it could be good.