Mechwarrior 5

Feb 4, 2009
Anyone buy it?
How do the multiplayer co-op missions work, are they fun? Are the co-op missions short or long?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
watching some on Twitch, looks interesting, egs exclusive right?

Feb 4, 2009
watching some on Twitch, looks interesting, egs exclusive right?

Per my reading epic exclusive for one year.
I’m mainly interested in multiplayer co-op but if that part of the game are really brief missions I’m not interested.
It does appear to have a random mission generator which is sort of cool.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Sounds like it could use some patches. Hopefully by the time it's on Steam all the issues are worked out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Reviews say its decent, with flaws.
I think I can wait. I dont need yet another online gaming service, and while I do long for some mech action, I still have a backlog of games and plenty of other things to do. They overestimate the popularity of the epic store, I think.

But people are happy with the game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Wait, is this the same MechWarrior we heard about a couple years ago as the revival of the series with the cool "in engine" trailer or was that something else entirely?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wait, is this the same MechWarrior we heard about a couple years ago as the revival of the series with the cool "in engine" trailer or was that something else entirely?
I dont know what you mean by in engine trailer but this is the revival we were promised many years ago. It took a lot of effort to make this happen, and I'm grateful even though I wont be buying it on the Epic store.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I dont know what you mean by in engine trailer but this is the revival we were promised many years ago. It took a lot of effort to make this happen, and I'm grateful even though I wont be buying it on the Epic store.

-I think I was thinking of MechWarrior Online, which was billed as MW5 at first.

Anyhow, it's been ages since I've played a MW game (MW2 was the last one) and I remember I loved playing with a Logitech joystick,but never really liked playing with a KB+M.

I'll keep an eye on this one...

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
-I think I was thinking of MechWarrior Online, which was billed as MW5 at first.

Anyhow, it's been ages since I've played a MW game (MW2 was the last one) and I remember I loved playing with a Logitech joystick,but never really liked playing with a KB+M.

I'll keep an eye on this one...
MW4 was free at some point (as was MechCommander 1&2). It was pretty good. Might want to give that a shot if you're waiting for this to make it to steam.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
AFAIK the MW franchise got buried under Pay2Win scandals. Not expecting any better from this - when you know your fan base pays money, you don't stop asking for money.

Feb 4, 2009
AFAIK the MW franchise got buried under Pay2Win scandals. Not expecting any better from this - when you know your fan base pays money, you don't stop asking for money.

It is a single purchase game that is primarily single player.
I don’t see a P2W angle, there may be a tsunami of DLC is that P2W?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just remembered that I have an Epic account now. I got it when Borderlands 3 & the Outer Worlds were free with my cpu. Is the deluxe version worth another $10?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
what's the multiplayer co-op they are talking about then? PvE ? Like Vermintide?

Feb 4, 2009
what's the multiplayer co-op they are talking about then? PvE ? Like Vermintide?

Appears you can team up with three buddies and do some missions, I read there is a mission generator too.
Doesn’t appear to have any PvP in it but I am not positive.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
you know, back in the 90s i was strongly against multiplayer, i hated the idea of it. Then it grew on me and today i wouldn't even consider a game without MP.

Reactions: KMFJD

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Going off the reviews im happy i dont do epic and will be waiting for the hopefully fixed by then steam version.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Same here in terms of waiting for a steam version. Too bad that by then the company will have made up their minds that the game was either a failure or not before people like me will even remotely look at purchasing it due to exclusivity agreements, but the bean counters won't know and will have to think it is because nobody cares for the genera anymore (look at the many other games that went this same route and then blamed customers for not buying it on the other digital platform that they decided to use and not support the biggest install base digital game platform out there...).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Any reason for the epic store hate other than another installer and another place to keep games?
In my case, no.
I just have too many games on Steam and I really dont want my digital property on multiple platforms. Same reason I dont buy music and movies and games from Amazon. In fact I'm sad that in the not too distance future I wont own much of anything.
I love my DVD collection cuz if the internet goes out (which it frequently does) I can still be entertained. But I know more than a couple guys who gave up all their discs and now live the streaming life. Fine for them. I couldnt do it.

Feb 4, 2009
In my case, no.
I just have too many games on Steam and I really dont want my digital property on multiple platforms. Same reason I dont buy music and movies and games from Amazon. In fact I'm sad that in the not too distance future I wont own much of anything.
I love my DVD collection cuz if the internet goes out (which it frequently does) I can still be entertained. But I know more than a couple guys who gave up all their discs and now live the streaming life. Fine for them. I couldnt do it.

Ignoring the DVD aspect (Power is super reliable where I live)
I was the same, I wanted as much as possible in one place for the simple fact that it’s easier to know what I have vs what I don’t have.
I still feel Steam offers a great value but I am starting to think I should ease up a bit, just the fact that epic takes around half the cut steam takes makes me think I should enable developers have more options to them.
Long explanation sorry.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Main issue is that they are paying off devlopers to make the games exclusive to Epic. Lowers customers choices of where to shop.
Exactly the same with me. Let the customer choose by releasing it everywhere. If the developer has a preference for one platform over another, they can show that by setting the price lower on that platform. Let the market decide if they feel that getting a discount is worth dealing with yet another digital platform or not. I am sure some people would buy a game for $5 less/more on a different platform or on the platform of their choice, but there also may be some backlash as well, which is why I suspect they don't do things like that.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Exactly the same with me. Let the customer choose by releasing it everywhere. If the developer has a preference for one platform over another, they can show that by setting the price lower on that platform. Let the market decide if they feel that getting a discount is worth dealing with yet another digital platform or not. I am sure some people would buy a game for $5 less/more on a different platform or on the platform of their choice, but there also may be some backlash as well, which is why I suspect they don't do things like that.
I was in this camp too, but I sold out when I got 2 free games with my latest cpu. I haven't bought MW5 yet, but I might after the holidays.