Mechanical Keyboard search help

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Hey all, i'm looking for a new mec keyboard. At work i currently have a monoprice one which i would have just gotten a new one of but they don't make it anymore. So i'm in search of suggestions with only 2 requirements

1. needs to have a 3.5mm audio jack/pass through on the keyboard itself (mic and headphones). Because of the way my office is set up this is much more convenient for me to use a headset/headphones vs running a extension all over the place

2) Cherry MX Blacks preferred but Reds would be fine - no blues or browns. i cant stand them

current one is black and no one at works cares about or even notices the noise

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have a razor black widow which has the audio jack and an extra USB port on the right side. Key feedback is great but it's pretty loud.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You could just use a minijack extension cable and get whatever kb you want.

Bundle it to your kB cable.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
not every keyboard is compatible with apple macs. because apple, amirite?
just make sure you google it before you buy.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
not every Mechanical keyboard is compatible with apple macs. because apple, amirite?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
not every Mechanical keyboard is compatible with apple macs. because apple, amirite?

Where did you see him say he is running a mac?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
to be completely honest, its more likely that humans learn how to survive in the vacuum of space then it is that i use an apple product

Reactions: whm1974

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You do realize razor makes the worst products right ?
It's working fine for me, better than my Walmart keyboard. Got it on sale at Best buy with a gift card and haven't had any issues. It's only a keyboard if it breaks I buy another one.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
It's working fine for me, better than my Walmart keyboard. Got it on sale at Best buy with a gift card and haven't had any issues. It's only a keyboard if it breaks I buy another one.
The only real issue i have with Razer keyboards is a few years ago they stopped using Cherry MX switches and switched to a cheaper chinese manufacturer which makes clones of the Cherry MX switches, and yeah while they're generally just as good, they're not as consistent actuation weight and they tend to fail sooner.

But they're cheaper and in this game cost is generally king.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The only real issue i have with Razer keyboards is a few years ago they stopped using Cherry MX switches and switched to a cheaper chinese manufacturer which makes clones of the Cherry MX switches, and yeah while they're generally just as good, they're not as consistent actuation weight and they tend to fail sooner.

But they're cheaper and in this game cost is generally king.
That's good to know, I didn't really do a lot of the research beforehand and it was pretty much an impulse buy since I was there and needed a new keyboard. Next time I would probably look at other brands if this one breaks.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
You still have to run all the necessary cables from the keyboard to the computer, whether they're part of a bundle hardwired to the keyboard or individual ports and cables. You should get whatever keyboard you like and then zip tie extensions together with the keyboard USB cable when you run it to the computer. Then attach them to your desk or the underside of the keyboard in a location that's relatively convenient.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
my work office is a cable disaster, was trying to avoid adding to it. but it may be unavoidable

I did a quick search, and I didn't really find much with the exception of the Razor keyboards and some foreign keyboard the QPAD MK-80. So, running a cable, which you could use cable ties to effectively link it to the keyboard's cable, might be the easiest option. At least with that, you won't be limited to a specific keyboard brand that you may not be the biggest fan of.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
so after coming to the grips with what people said about not being able to find what i wanted i settled with the zip-tied extension cable and a Ducky One
not at work but this is the KB

L6TmLq5.jpg

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
so after coming to the grips with what people said about not being able to find what i wanted i settled with the zip-tied extension cable and a Ducky One
not at work but this is the KB

L6TmLq5.jpg
Hey I like that! How's the feedback?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I always wondered why. Why does Amazon or Newegg not sell ducky keyboards directly ?

no idea. i got it from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ came quickly, no complaints. and at 110 with free shipping is a solid deal for this thing. I like the Corsair i have at home but TBH its really not worth 50% more

Hey I like that! How's the feedback?

Keyboard feels great. its running Cherry Blacks just like the last one i used. keys feel ever so slightly stiffer which i like as i type like a gorilla. the PBT keys feel different then whatever the monoprice one used and the ones my Corsair at home uses, they feel softer. and i think as a result of that they are less loud as its a "softer" material bottoming out vs the more clickly sounding plastic on the other one

my only issue is that i prob should have gotten an all black one so people would stop coming into my cubical going "ohhh fancy colors"......

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like I'll keep that site in mind if I ever need another one. One guy at my office has a mechanical keyboard and I think the rest of his team hates him because of all the noise(open floor plan).