Mechanical Auto mouse mover suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Situation: Work computer is set to log out in 10 minutes, even the ones in my locked office. This gets very irritating. IT state that they cant do anything about it at this time.

I know there are softwarer solutions but do not want to loose my job by installing such software.

I am usually back in my office 15-20 minutes to chart (Electronic health record) and it takes forever to open up windows, open up the EHR. Sometimes I am there waiting 3-4 minutes before I can actualy start charting.

I am looking for a ghetto solution, I remember someone attaching a bobbing pecker to click the mouse but cant seem to find it.

I have a optical mouse.

Any ideas?

I understand there are a lot of admin around here that may frown upon this request. Again this is a locked office, no one will be able to use my computer when I am gone for n 20 to 30 minutes.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Funny thing is I have this problem (on a ship that always moves).

[old people story alert]

You can always find one of those vibrator tables that were a mock up of a football field. Boys would set up their teams and plug in the table and the vibration would start playoff! I'd imagine this vibration would keep the mouse moving too. :laugh:

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Find something like a flat surface that spins, and rig up a tray to hold the mouse above it so that the optics see the spinning surface. Put the mouse on top when you leave.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
record player. Put the mouse on it, using it's cord to hold it in position (no record), so it'll just endlessly cruise on the turntable.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Arn't there federal laws regulating computing in healthcare? When I did a contract job for AT&T installing Cisco phones at a health care place there was crazy security.

If someone finds out about my ass warts because of you I'm going to be pissed.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AnMig
Situation: Work computer is set to log out in 10 minutes, even the ones in my locked office. This gets very irritating. IT state that they cant do anything about it at this time.

I know there are softwarer solutions but do not want to loose my job by installing such software.

I am usually back in my office 15-20 minutes to chart (Electronic health record) and it takes forever to open up windows, open up the EHR. Sometimes I am there waiting 3-4 minutes before I can actualy start charting.

I am looking for a ghetto solution, I remember someone attaching a bobbing pecker to click the mouse but cant seem to find it.

I have a optical mouse.

Any ideas?

I understand there are a lot of admin around here that may frown upon this request. Again this is a locked office, no one will be able to use my computer when I am gone for n 20 to 30 minutes.

I'd talk to your IS staff about setting the PC's to LOCK after inactivity, not log out.

Logging out could cause data to be lost. If they don't do a forced log out (e.g. if a file needs to be saved....it will wait until you answer), open up notepad and type a single letter into it.

otherwise there are millions of simple battery toys that could keep a mouse moving.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Use an ant farm for a mouse pad. Little critters should trigger an optical mouse.

Auto log OFF is bad though if it forces applications closed. :Q

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Ask for a new computer if it takes you 3-4 minutes to unlock your computer.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Ask for a new computer if it takes you 3-4 minutes to unlock your computer.

he said it logs him out.

Logging in is dependant on what 'batch' file is placed on you.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
get a wall clock that ticks, then put the mouse on it. This actually might work. the second hand should be seen by the optical mouse. I think I have few free wall clocks around.

we do have 2 settings it locks the computer 10 minutes, then it logs off in 12-13 minutes I think.

someone had suggested a powerpoint presentation (slide show) I think this will at least prevent windows from logging off. This however will not prevent the application EHR from timming out since I think you need to be doing something in the program itself.

I again this is a locked personal office so no one has access to the computer when I am gone for 20 to 30 minutes.

Logging on 8 to 10 times a day can be very irritating since they bloated the whole system that it takes 1-2 minutes to load windows, 1-2 minutes to open the EHR.

Thanks for the responses the magnets suggestion also is interesting.

I might alos get one of those USB fans and attach tissue paper on it and have it blow over my upside down mouse.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
see if this will work:
run
gpedit.msc

change log out time. works on our company computers.

you also may be able to lock your computer when you get up, and unlock when you get back without issue.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Perhaps a second mouse can be modified with a PIC micro-controller or something to simulate mouse wheel down then up every minute or something.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If you want a hardware solution get a mouse jiggler. I have one for use in my computer shop.
http://www.amazon.com/Wiebetech-Mous...=mouse+jiggler

Every few seconds it sends a signal to move the mouse a tiny bit. It looks like a flash drive. It installs without a driver in seconds.

btw the "fast" jiggler is a gag gift and its not what you want.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
i realize this is a necro'ed post but i'm surprised no one suggested rigging it up to an oscillating fan.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Arn't there federal laws regulating computing in healthcare?
Correct, at a normal company you might only risk your job violating IT policy (not that this action would rise to that as most companies), but in health care you can be personally sued as well! Since it's is health care, a simple violation of IT security WILL get you shit canned.

But you're right, the 10 seconds it takes to enter your password probably isn't worth it.

FWIW, I hate passwords as much as most people. Necessary evil.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
But you're right, the 10 seconds it takes to enter your password probably isn't worth it.
We had this problem with similar electronic health record software, and a security policy that did the same.

The workstations were set to log-off on inactivity. So, if you were to get called away from your office to supervise something, then the system would log out and lose any work that was unsaved.

It would then take 2 minutes to log back in to Windows, 2 minutes to load the EHR software (which was some sort of monstrously bloated java thing), 3 minutes to log in using the 2-factor authentication system.

It wasn't so bad for office based docs, but for the ER it was totally unworkable. In the ER, the hospital CEO had to issue a special waiver to the ER, allowing people to share logins and leave the terminals unlocked, because the 2FA was so slow (and it was also tied to the windows log in, so Dr John Doe couldn't log in with his authenticator if the windows user was Dr Jane Smith, so if Jane smith was busy, the only option was to log off windows, re-log on). Of course, sharing logins caused problems because the software automatically signed entries with the logged in user....

We had to wait 12 months for the EHR vendor's next maintenance release with fixed 2FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.