Meat People - Is this Brisket Safe to Eat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wth was thawing ground beef doing on top of your freezer? :oops:

Note that ground meat is far more of a contamination-concern then an intact cut and thus is more likely to go bad quickly/make you sick.
I do have limits. I wouldn't eat a bloated smelly sealed package. As long as the taste is not funny, I am proceeding.

I've also let uncured bacon get warm for a bit too long(approx 17 hours). Ate three strips this morning. If I land in the hospital, I'll say my mea culpa. I doubt it though.

At least meat makes gives easy tangible feedback it's not fit. Mycotoxins in peanuts are not noticeable nor is vegetable oil that has sat for too long.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Having had food poisoning from spoiled meat once I would say err on the side of caution.... it's simply not worth the risk. That $hit can kill you if you have any other health-issues. (and occasionally even if not!)

More likely for an otherwise healthy adult you'll just WISH you were dead for a couple days but still not a good time!

I do have limits. I wouldn't eat a bloated smelly sealed package.

Problem is that ground meat in particular can easily be spoiled but look/smell just fine. Friend of mine is a butcher and some of the stories I've heard almost make me want to turn vegan! (almost)

;)

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I've also let uncured bacon get warm for a bit too long(approx 17 hours). Ate three strips this morning. If I land in the hospital, I'll say my mea culpa. I doubt it though.
17 hours would be roughly 11 doubling periods (assuming you are talking about room temperature the whole time). 2^11 = 2048. If you had bacterial contamination before the warming, you now have ~2000 times more. With that small of an increase, it depends on the bacteria we are talking about.

For example, suppose you had 10 Salmonella bacteria that caused typhoid fever. Now you have ~20,000 salmonella. That would still be below the infectious dose of 100,000. But, suppose you started with 10 of the most hazardous E coli with an infectious dose of ~100 bacteria. That 17 hours took you from ok to dangerous.