Meanwhile, Back on the Ballot . . . 14 Republicans Are Running Against Bush

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
And YOU thought Bush was running unopposed in the Republican primary. Pffft. :D

Source

All the parking spaces outside Lupo's Seafood Restaurant are full, but the crowd didn't come to see Dick Bosa -- it's pasta night. Still, Bosa will say here what he says in any hardware store and radio station and hotel lobby that will let him in the door: "Hello, I'm Dick Bosa and I'm running against Bush. There is a Republican primary, you know."

Repeat to Bosa the common myth that President Bush is running unopposed and you are in for a jab of his thick finger. There will be 14 Republicans listed on the New Hampshire presidential primary ballot besides the one who currently holds the office. Among them are Bosa, the former mayor of Berlin, in northern New Hampshire; Michael Callis, a bricklayer from Conway; and Robert Haines, who could safely be described as a colorful character familiar to patrons of the coffee shop Breaking New Grounds in Portsmouth.

Each of them has a Web site, at least one die-hard supporter (wife, girlfriend, child, loyal employee), and $1,000, which is all you need in New Hampshire to file your bid for the presidency (most states require a few thousand signatures). Bosa showed up on the afternoon of the last possible filing date, Nov. 21, and paid his fee in coins, for reasons having to do with the hegemony of the Federal Reserve but also "because as a dark horse candidate I have to make a splash."

Locals justify their claim to the nation's first binding presidential primary with a romantic Horatio Alger-ish notion: In this tiny state, anyone with gumption and a good pair of boots can triumph over the established political machines by making his claim directly to the voters, the old-fashioned democratic way. Of course, by "anyone" they mean someone such as John McCain, Gary Hart or Pat Buchanan, all of whom have won the primary. But tell that to Dick Bosa.

"I'm more credible than [Wesley] Clark or Al Sharpton," he says, mentioning some of the Democrats running. "At least I was elected mayor."

Some of the candidates are on quixotic crusades that seem to be driven mainly by inner voices. Haines, for example, lists his issues as "national security," "the economy," "health care, of course." But after a while he'll get around to the "Dark Side, okay . . . the deliberate attempt by the Dark Side to infiltrate the church," he told the Dartmouth Review. (Haines was not available for comment, as he was serving time for a parole violation.) For Callis, the central issue facing this nation is "Max Hugel" (CIA deputy director under President Reagan) and "the way the central intelligence agencies in this country have been conducting themselves."

Judged by effort, the most serious Republican candidates are Bosa and John Rigazio, a Rochester, N.H., businessman who owns several variety stores that sell "cigarettes, alcohol, potato chips, juices, those kinds of things," says Claire Nugent, a cashier who moonlights as his spokeswoman and single campaign employee because "I believe in everything he says."

For both of them the central issue is the same: "Jobs, jobs, jobs," as Rigazio says; the loss of manufacturing jobs in New Hampshire and the nation, more broadly the neglect of the working stiff at the hands of "large worldwide corporations," more broadly still the triumph in America of a rich entitled blueblood class as embodied by President Bush.

Still, it's a lonely crusade. These candidates travel alone, hold their own signs, get their own glasses of water and often hold news conferences with no media in attendance. When they say they had a radio interview, they mean they called the station during the caller response period.

Rigazio held a town meeting at the Rochester Opera House recently that drew 80 people on a blizzard night. But mostly he's known for running ads in two major local papers, open letters costing him an estimated total of $200,000, each running 800 words and full of emphatic capital letters.

"To those of us who listen to the MEDIA tell us that the RECESSION IS OVER and the JOBS are a LAGGING ECONOMIC INDICATOR but JOBS will soon PICK UP as the ECONOMIC RECOVERY PROGRESSES, I have to wonder HOW DUMB the media (who spread our government's FALSE FIGURES to us) think the public is."

<snip...>

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
"To those of us who listen to the MEDIA tell us that the RECESSION IS OVER and the JOBS are a LAGGING ECONOMIC INDICATOR but JOBS will soon PICK UP as the ECONOMIC RECOVERY PROGRESSES, I have to wonder HOW DUMB the media (who spread our government's FALSE FIGURES to us) think the public is."

Just ask CAD & Co, Rush and Hannity.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Just ask CAD & Co, Rush and Hannity.

Is that a new show on the Fox Cartoon Network? :)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
You guys see Bush-Cheney just raised 50 million last quarter compared to Dean 14 million? I see this race spending a lot of money (duh). Perhaps 300 million for Bush and 200 for Dean. Is this getting out of control yet?

I mean you can never have a real conservative in office or a dem. They are both so co-opted be special intrests and big business.

McCain would be nice. If he could push some real campaign finance.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo
You guys see Bush-Cheney just raised 50 million last quarter compared to Dean 14 million? I see this race spending a lot of money (duh). Perhaps 300 million for Bush and 200 for Dean. Is this getting out of control yet?

I mean you can never have a real conservative in office or a dem. They are both so co-opted be special intrests and big business.

McCain would be nice. If he could push some real campaign finance.

America becoming nothing more than a Paid Dictatorship.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Then I want my money back.

Me too...oh wait - I will when I file my taxes. :D Not nearly enough of it though. Someday maybe the gov't will learn to spend less of all of our money.

CkG

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Moonbeam:

You got a 90 day warranty! :)

Ask for your money back, you lazy slacker. :)

Or, better yet, SUE!

-RObert

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: chess9
Moonbeam:

You got a 90 day warranty! :)

Ask for your money back, you lazy slacker. :)

Or, better yet, SUE!

-RObert
It wern't me that was paying

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Someday maybe the gov't will learn to spend less of all of our money.

CkG

i sure hope so.

they need to find a better way to deal with education instead of throwing more money at it, reform taxes, social security, medicare, and ditch welfare. but since im not in control, who cares?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Genesys
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Someday maybe the gov't will learn to spend less of all of our money.

CkG

i sure hope so.

they need to find a better way to deal with education instead of throwing more money at it, reform taxes, social security, medicare, and ditch welfare. but since im not in control, who cares?

Ah hell, Genesys, you've got yourself completely confused. Fixing all that stuff isn't going to help you at all. All you need, if you're not in control, is Depends.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Sounds like a Republican particle collision experiment to create super dense matter.

daclayman

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Sounds like a Republican particle collision experiment to create super dense matter.

lol - you wanted to use partisan, but the dimwits wouldn't get the joke.... Where's the list of the these so-called repub arch rivals. I saw a California election where the best republican candidate (McClintock) was snubbed for aaahhhhhhnold. I can't possibly believe the repub gray matter stronghold would give any dollars to anyone who might not win.