McDonalds price freeze to end in June

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I haven't eaten McD's in years and years. That ish is nasty.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic

McDonalds has a right to make a profit!
We also have a right to not eat at McDonalds!!

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

To those who say they havent eaten McD's in years. What do you guys prefer for fast food? Don't say Sushi. ;) You know, starving, on the way to work, can stop someplace.

I go to McDonalds just to buy a few McChickens since they are a buck. Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger is so slim on the beef patty its not even really a beef patty anymore. Its worse than white castle.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: brandonb

To those who say they havent eaten McD's in years. What do you guys prefer for fast food? Don't say Sushi. ;) You know, starving, on the way to work, can stop someplace.

I go to McDonalds just to buy a few McChickens since they are a buck. Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger is so slim on the beef patty its not even really a beef patty anymore. Its worse than white castle.

Back Yard Burger, Wendy's. I won't eat McD's, nor Taco Hell.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I go to a conivence store and grab a ham sandwich and a milk. Some of them are pretty good. If I have a little more time then Subway.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Anything but a major burger chain or Taco Bell. I try to plan my day better than that so that kind of thing never really happens though.
I'm the kind of guy who eats a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of yogurt every morning before leaving for work, and I usually brown bag my lunches. I keep a stash of emergency food in my desk just in case, and on top of all that, there's a little mom-and-pop sandwich deli inside my building.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: FoBoT
All I know its time to pull out my cash in my 401k. Its growing at 1.65% (yearly rate) but its going to be completely worthless in 10 years at this rate. I might as well use what I can from it now.

that is dumb, just reallocate your investments, if you are getting 1.65% you don't have your money in the right places. spending it won't give you a better return

Well .. harsh but true. If you're worried about volatility, put it in gold. Look at the history of gold, it spikes sometimes, but never really crashes. And over the decades it holds up well with the world's currencies.

http://www.gold-investment.inf...ory_of_gold_prices.htm

What the fuck.....

If you're 50 years old or younger, not a penny should be in cash, bonds, money market, gold, or any sort of material.

Your portfolio should look like this:
1. Pacific Large Cap Value Index.
2. European Large Cap Value Index.
3. Emerging Markets Large Cap Value Index.
4. International Growth Index.
5. Domestic Large Cap Value.
6. Domestic Large Cap Growth.
7. Domestic mid-cap Equity.

There's REITs and and domestic small cap, but I'd avoid those for a few years. Why? Housing market bubble is popping and small caps suffer from increase cost of energy, goods way more than large corporations.

brownzilla786

Dec 18, 2005
I don't believe McDonald's can do this unless their competition does this first. Not to mention, McDonald's stock had been doing amazing this past year, their is no need to increase the price of their meals so dramatically

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Nooo not the dollar menu! I know their food isn't the healthiest, but it serves as an excellent cheap snack.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SleepWalkerX
Nooo not the dollar menu! I know their food isn't the healthiest, but it serves as an excellent cheap snack.

I can think of far better excellent, cheap snacks.

McDonald's sucks the big one. IMHO, of course. ;)

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Like I would pay 6 dollars for something or a group of somethings from McD's. I prefer hamburgers made from beef, not mealworms, thank you.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I assume the people complaining have witnessed the rise in prices at the local grocery store right?

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
As long as they keep the dollar menu Im fine.
If not, it's off to Carls Jr. for the $1 chicken sandwich. That ones better anyway.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: alchemize
You are fretting about the price of McDonalds yet have no clue about the value of a 401(k). Time to edumacate yourself. Pulling your money out of the 401(k) means you will also take a large penalty.

Yup, having your money in cash means you lose, thanks to the enormous inflation tax.

Dollars, yes.

GB Pounds or Euros, no.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
You are fretting about the price of McDonalds yet have no clue about the value of a 401(k). Time to edumacate yourself. Pulling your money out of the 401(k) means you will also take a large penalty.

I have educumated myself. I know prices are going up, be it McDonalds, Grocery Store, Gas, Bills, Taxes, whatever, and my dollar is becoming more worthless. My wage is not increasing at a greater rate than inflation. So me, as a middle income tax payer, is feeling the double edged sword from both sides.

I am willing to take that penalty. Atleast I will have something to show for it now, rather than losing it all when I retire. To be honest, its my opinion that in 40 years I doubt there will be much of a country left, and I'm guessing some Banker will be long gone with my money by then.

Thats edumucation!

This is what you remind me of:
When in danger, when in dought,
Run in circles scream and shout.

Well pull your head out of your ass and fix your "retirement" problem--in quotes because your plan, or lack there of, will never allow you to retire. Contact your 401k provider and see if you can change funds, if not roll your 401k into a traditional IRA. Open an IRA and contribute the max--you can pick ANY fund you want if you open it through good investment companies (Fidelity, Vanguard, etc.). Then what ever money you have left after every paycheck (in fact set-up automatic withdraw with your company so you never can spend it) and invest it for retirement until you get a better 401k--no tax advantage but at least you will be able to retire.

You've been listening to the doom and gloom of the loons on this forum. Inflation will not kill us all. 3 years ago the Fed's rates were ca. 1%. They are 4.25% now:
Was there double digit inflation 3 years ago? NO.
Will more Fed cuts bring the end to the US dollar? NO
Does the fact that the standard of living around the world has increased, hence more people buying products in stead of just the US weaken the dollar? YES Wow who would have thought that if other countries wanted oil, oil prices would go up--it's not like there's a concept of supply and demand...
Should I take all my money out and not save for retirement? HELL NO

FYI:
I'm 24 and fear for my generation because of their lack knowledge, brandonb, when we have all the information we need with the internet--think how far up shit creak we'd be without it. It's really sad.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: babylon5
I don't think US will disappear or completely blown in 40 years of your time frame. Empire of past, from Spain to British are still here, county-wise. People live there, they got decent living. US will probably be like those former colonial power. But some other countries will be #1, not USA.

Those other countries--the UK and Spain--as far as I know--aren't being invaded by tens of millions of impoverished illegal aliens and I suspect that they have more trade protections to protect against foreign outsourcing. In contrast, the U.S. will transform into a South American-style third world country. Unlike the UK and Spain, the U.S. also suffers from a population explosion problem.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

All I know its time to pull out my cash in my 401k. Its growing at 1.65% (yearly rate) but its going to be completely worthless in 10 years at this rate. I might as well use what I can from it now.
You suck at teh investing.

Wendy's 99 cent double FTW?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: babylon5
I don't think US will disappear or completely blown in 40 years of your time frame. Empire of past, from Spain to British are still here, county-wise. People live there, they got decent living. US will probably be like those former colonial power. But some other countries will be #1, not USA.

Those other countries--the UK and Spain--as far as I know--aren't being invaded by tens of millions of impoverished illegal aliens and I suspect that they have more trade protections to protect against foreign outsourcing. In contrast, the U.S. will transform into a South American-style third world country. Unlike the UK and Spain, the U.S. also suffers from a population explosion problem.

No, they're just being "invaded" by Muslims from the ME and Africa while freely trading with China and India just as much as we do. :roll:

Your nationalism and racism get more than a bit intolerable from time to time, no matter how much you try to hide it with pro-worker sentiment.

Oct 30, 2004

I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong about the UK and Spain in those regards, but I have a hard time believing that illegal immigrants can get into Spain and the UK as easily as they can the U.S. and that their problems are anywhere near as severe as those of the United States.

I'm disappointed to see you imply that the only reason someone would oppose mass immigration is racism. I'd figured you were smart enough not to buy into that crappy notion.