McCain's Legacy: Where does he go from here?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I thought it was great to amazing. My opinion of him went up after his speech. He noted the historical importance of the event and that it reflected on America's greatness. He saw that it was more than about him.

McCain did go very negative near the end but from a practical standpoint that was his last move. You don't get to be a politician by sticking to your principals (okay maybe Ron Paul sticks to them but look how far he went).

I'm afraid McCain is going to be scapegoated by Republicans and that Republicans will argue that they need to go further towards social conservatism.

Where do you think he'll go from here?

Oct 2, 2007
he's 72 years old, melanoma cancer survivor. lets just say if I were selling life insurance, i wouldn't be selling it to John mccain

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: winnar111
Probably the same way as Kerry. Into a nobody Senator.

Could be.

It seems like it's better to just retire from elected office once you lose a presidential campaign. Gore seems to have made more of an impact than Kerry, but then again he didn't have a seat in the senate.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
For the first time in a couple years, it looked to me like the real, unfettered, 'speak from the heart/gut' McCain was speaking. His speech was excellent and very courteous to his opponent. It also looked to me like a great burden had been lifted from him.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
For the first time in a couple years, it looked to me like the real, unfettered, 'speak from the heart/gut' McCain was speaking. His speech was excellent and very courteous to his opponent. It also looked to me like a great burden had been lifted from him.

Very true.

He seemed to sincerely believe what he was saying. And he also seemed relieved. He was probably smart enough to know he was screwed once he made the mistake of suspending his campaign in the name of the econom.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
It was amazing to see someone so gracious. No crying or fits, no lawsuits.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
He fucked himself when he sold out to the bushies in 2000. Too bad for him...

He'll finish up his term and retire probably. He's had a long run - nothing to be embarrassed about.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I hope he retires into a long and healthy life full of peace and happiness, secure in the knowledge that he has served his country admirably in every capacity it has asked of him.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Delivery wasn't near the level of an Obama speech, but the Content was top notch given the situation. Certainly going to improve his reputation after such a nasty campaign.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
I thought it was admirable and a nice prequel to Obama's speech, regardless of the crowd's poor showing.

From here on he should stand by his words and work with our new President elect to better this country.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Does anyone feel like McCain actually is disappointed with some of his supporters at the rallies? As an example, when he was giving his concession speech, people were booing and he had this look on his face that almost looked like disgust that people couldn't act more graciously. Maybe it's just me.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Does anyone feel like McCain actually is disappointed with some of his supporters at the rallies? As an example, when he was giving his concession speech, people were booing and he had this look on his face that almost looked like disgust that people couldn't act more graciously. Maybe it's just me.

He's been that way for weeks now. I really think he had many "WTF?" moments during the campaign where he was astounded by his supporters.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, I caught that vibe to. Reflects my opinion. I also noticed the significant pause and only mild applause during Obama's speech when talking about Republicans/congratulating and thanking McCain/etc.

This election has been so polarized. People on both sides saw the other as the enemy, when by any objective observation we had two decent/good choices this time around.

I would have preferred McCain, but for the time being I'm perfectly happy with Obama. At the very least he appears to be an upgrade from Bush. I'll see how he performs over the next 4 years before making any real judgments.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Infohawk
I'm afraid McCain is going to be scapegoated by Republicans and that Republicans will argue that they need to go further towards social conservatism.

Where do you think he'll go from here?

Pretending to be the pro-government party and trying to buy more votes than welfare itself won't work. We need true opposition to our government and its continued expanse, which is in the opposite direction McCain and Bush were taking the Republican Party.

McCain's reaching across the isle is precisely why I did not vote for him today. He was not conservative enough. The party needs to stop pretending it can buy votes under the "compassionate conservative" mantra that Bush created. To hell with being quasi-Democrats.

A Republican party that continues in this direction is one that should be split into two parties.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

It wasn't just you.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Didn't see the speech, but read the transcript and thought it was a very gracious and well spoken speech. Hats off to McCain.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Sorry, folks. I can't give McCain any props for his speech knowing what he did and how he campaigned. He had a chance for greatness, but he descended into the deepest pit instead.
A flowery speech doesn't overcome his sellout of his ideals and his fantastically dirty campaign. His legacy is completely tarnished in my eyes.
It's not what you say, it's what you do.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I thought it was a good speech.
He had to have been seeing the same polls as everyone else and knew that he had lost the election weeks earlier and still he managed to not sound bitter or hateful.

Feb 10, 2000
Great speech. I hope he can find a way to achieve a respectable final act to his political career, because this campaign, and indeed the last four years, represent a sad chapter in his life.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Delivery wasn't near the level of an Obama speech, but the Content was top notch given the situation. Certainly going to improve his reputation after such a nasty campaign.

True. I'm glad I can actually like McCain again. Very decent guy at heart, when he's not trying to win an election.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
he'll go back to the senate and probably try to be the voice of compromise as the democrats attempt to force their agenda through.

his current term lasts until 2010... I assume he'll run for reelection at least one more time, though that probably depends on what washington is looking like in the next 2 years. I can't see him ever running for president again, though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
His speech was spoiled for me by his recommendation of Palin. She's George Bush in a dress.