McCain On Social Security

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
McCain on Social Security: ?Americans have got to understand that we are paying present-day retirees with the taxes paid by young workers in America today. And that?s a disgrace. It?s an absolute disgrace, and it?s got to be fixed.?

Memo to Senator McCain: That's how the system works. It's how it's always worked.

Perhaps McCain shouldn't tout his experience so much when he doesn't even have a basic understanding of Social Security. Clearly, John McCain is also out of touch with working families, because anyone who earns a paycheck has an understanding of how Social Security works.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: SlingXShot
Perhaps McCain shouldn't tout his experience so much when he doesn't even have a basic understanding of Social Security. Clearly, John McCain is also out of touch with working families, because anyone who earns a paycheck has an understanding of how Social Security works.

If you're under 40 and have a lick of sense, that understanding is that you'll never see any of that money again.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
McCain on Social Security: ?Americans have got to understand that we are paying present-day retirees with the taxes paid by young workers in America today. And that?s a disgrace. It?s an absolute disgrace, and it?s got to be fixed.?

Memo to Senator McCain: That's how the system works. It's how it's always worked.

Or maybe he's right and those of you who want to continue the stealing are "out of touch". Just a thought.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Further memo so McShame -- Social Security would be solvent if Congress hadn't stolen... err... "borrowed" trillions from surplus that was in the SS trust fund.

We might even have been able to deal with that if the Traitor In Chief hadn't squandered trillions of dollars on his war of lies.

Yeah... I know Bush wasn't the first. He's just the worst. :thumbsdown:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Harvey

Further memo so McShame -- Social Security would be solvent if Congress hadn't stolen... err... "borrowed" trillions from surplus that was in the SS trust fund.

It'd also be "solvent" if it wasn't a scam. The whole idea of paying old people for being old is flawed anyway so it's no wonder it isn't solvent.

Dec 30, 2004

Fault the sky for being blue. God forbid someone support Mccain.

SS needs to be tied to the average lifespan of people, dependent on sex. F live longer than M, of course; so the age that you can draw on it as a man would be lower than for a woman.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
How does the quote show that McCain doesnt understand SS? If anything it shows that he's trying to teach Americans about how SS really works. Most Americans think that the money they pay in goes back to them, that's clearly wrong.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

It'd also be "solvent" if it wasn't a scam. The whole idea of paying old people for being old is flawed anyway so it's no wonder it isn't solvent.

Unless you can back that up with any credible links, your whole premise is based on fluff. Social Security would be solvent with a surplus if Congress hadn't "borrowed" the money already mandated by law to squander elsewhere.

An illegal war costing trillions and tax cuts for the very wealthy come to mind. :roll:

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005

Unless you can back that up with any credible links, your whole premise is based on fluff. Social Security would be solvent with a surplus if Congress hadn't "borrowed" the money already mandated by law to squander elsewhere.

An illegal war costing trillions and tax cuts for the very wealthy come to mind. :roll:

You mean the congress full of Democrats with a 9% approval rating?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Slew Foot

You mean the congress full of Democrats with a 9% approval rating?
No the Congresses of the last 30 years.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Wow, obviously you don't have no interest in talking about SS if you keep bringing other crap up. Those have NOTHING to do with the flawed natured of SS. The money goes into a pot and the spending goes out for much more than just those 2 items. Keep it about SS...unless you are trying to divert yet another thread with your rants.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah we could all put it into the stock market private.
Thats what the banks would just L O V E !!!
All that fresh money for them to mishandle. Just like Christmas!
BTW... checked your 401k lately??? :roll:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The senator conveniently overlooks the fact that SS has contributed huge surpluses to the general fund for the last 25 years, supposedly held in trust. Last time I checked, that compromised ~30% of total federal debt.
So what he's telling me now is that the hero of the Right, RR, was lying through his teeth when the system was revised in 1983, and that boomers' attempts to pay it forward were callously squandered on a series of taxcuts for america's wealthiest and visions of economic and military empire... and that the very same hero and his repub successors compounded the problem egregiously thru the acquisition of huge additional indebtedness holding a higher priority than the SS trust...

Basically, that SS has just been another regressive tax, and that he'll screw us out of the trust funds if given the chance...

I have a better idea- raise taxes, particularly on those groups who've benefitted most over the last 25 years, and cut spending in other areas to the point where we develop a surplus, pay off some of the existing debt so that our credit will be good when we need it to begin paying off the trust...

If this gets the coverage it deserves, Johnnie-boy can kiss the Boomer vote goodbye...

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Wow, obviously you don't have no interest in talking about SS if you keep bringing other crap up. Those have NOTHING to do with the flawed natured of SS. The money goes into a pot and the spending goes out for much more than just those 2 items. Keep it about SS...unless you are trying to divert yet another thread with your rants.

Wow, oh wowee wowwowow. I already posted that Social Security would be solvent if Congress hadn't expropriated trillions from the SS security fund.

Furthermore, it is also completely relevant that the worst financial drain on the entire governement is your Traitor In Chief's war in Iraq. That's trillions that otherwise would not have otherwise been squandered.

That war is also the root cause of a lot of other financial drains on our economy that could otherwise be applied to SS, infrastructure, medical care, education and a hell of a lot more.

That war is also one basic reason why Islamic oil nations are so willing to stick the knife in the U.S. and twist it the way they're doing, now.

Obviously you have no interest in talking about SS if you quote my post, but you can't address any of that, and the best you can do is call it a scam.

Pathetic. :thumbsdown:

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
How does the quote show that McCain doesnt understand SS? If anything it shows that he's trying to teach Americans about how SS really works. Most Americans think that the money they pay in goes back to them, that's clearly wrong.

I think you hit on something there.

ChrisFromNJ

Jul 4, 2008
Remember Al Gore's lockbox? Remember how he was mocked by the lunatic fringe on the far right for the idea?

If Florida hadn't been stolen from him, Social Security would be in much better shape today.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Can anyone really believe this is the government that represents "we the people"?

You know, I truly cant. Honestly. Out of all this country has to offer the best we can come up with is McStain and Empty Suit Obummer?

Jeez. This, among other things, is one of the big reasons I'm looking very seriously at leaving this country.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Wow, oh wowee wowwowow. I already posted that Social Security would be solvent if Congress hadn't expropriated trillions from the SS security fund.

Furthermore, it is also completely relevant that the worst financial drain on the entire governement is your Traitor In Chief's war in Iraq. That's trillions that otherwise would not have otherwise been squandered.

That war is also the root cause of a lot of other financial drains on our economy that could otherwise be applied to SS, infrastructure, medical care, education and a hell of a lot more.

That war is also one basic reason why Islamic oil nations are so willing to stick the knife in the U.S. and twist it the way they're doing, now.

Obviously you have no interest in talking about SS if you quote my post, but you can't address any of that, and the best you can do is call it a scam.

Pathetic. :thumbsdown:

:roll: No, you are wildly off base here. SS is a scam, always has been. It's nothing more than an extra tax on the productive - a wealth transfer to the unproductive.

SS money is used for EVERYTHING - it goes to the general fund. So while YOU whine about the war(as usual) and other diversionary rants - it doesn't change the facts that the system sucks and is broken. The money you old people are getting now is money that us productive people should be getting when we retire, however YOU old people have already spent your money on everything under the sun. THAT is YOUR fault, not Bush's or the war's. SPENDING is out of control and has been for a long time, yet YOU people only seem to want to spend more and more and more.

An easy "fix" for SS is to means test it and raise the retirement age and index it due to our living longer. OR... we could scrap it all together and just put the old SS system under the welfare system to take care of those that can't take care of themselves and let the rest of us keep our own money for our own retirement.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

SS is a scam, always has been. It's nothing more than an extra tax on the productive - a wealth transfer to the unproductive.

Prove it.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

SS is a scam, always has been. It's nothing more than an extra tax on the productive - a wealth transfer to the unproductive.

Prove it.

It's nothing more than an extra tax on the productive - a wealth transfer to the unproductive.
That is a scam because it's pitched as a retirement type "insurance" and I get statements showing my supposed future benefits. However, it's scamming me out of the time value of my money along with allowing you old people to get away with double dipping.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Prove it.

It's nothing more than an extra tax on the productive - a wealth transfer to the unproductive.
That is a scam because it's pitched as a retirement type "insurance" and I get statements showing my supposed future benefits. However, it's scamming me out of the time value of my money along with allowing you old people to get away with double dipping.

And we'll never see that money, judging by the way things are going now.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Prove it.

Sucks for you as I don't see it changing.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I heard the "stimulus checks" were borrowed on SS money? If we didn't stop stealing money form SS it would have been fine. But it's too late now, we can't just go back 50 years and start injecting money into it since the compound interest over time would have added up to trillions of dollars. The system can and does work if corrupted politicians keep their fingers out of the pot and not use it as a personal slush fund.

The point here is he either misspoke or he clearly doesn't understand how SS works.
Funny how people here are quick to point out what he really meant! hahahaha yeah sure fine!

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ericlp
The point here is he either misspoke or he clearly doesn't understand how SS works.

??? What exactly was incorrect with what he said?

What, can't figure it out?

I see we have a supporter right here. Don't worry PJ will be around soon enough to help you!

hahahaha

I but when bush does something really stupid you have a really hard time with that too huh?