McCain is being an ass in Blitzer interview

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Gotta love it, here a GOP leaning voter is alienated by negative McCain tactics, and all McCain has to say is look at history, if its good enough for GWB, its good enough for me. I suspect an answer of that nature will not answer the original question.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Once again, I have to ask how people are comfortable with this man acting in a diplomatic capacity with other countries? A man that can't even answer basis questions, and can't take the slightest criticisms without getting defensive. Is he going to storm out of the room if world leaders catch him off agreed talking points?

In defense of McCain, he seems like a man that has seen all the nonsense that Congress can bring, and he's just exhausted by it. So many years involved in any single endeavor, especially one as pugilistic as politics, is liable to drive any man insane. I do think his frustration comes from valuable experience, but the test of a leader is how well you present it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So far, this is what is plainly and factually known about McCain's character as he has displayed it time and again in front of the whole world via network broadcasting:

1. He lies about something and then when confronted with the truth that repudiates his lie, he turns into a broken record and keeps repeating the lie itself or a lie that repudiates the truth of the matter.

2. When confronted with a question that will force him to lay out the bare facts that he wants to hide from us, he incriminates himself by clumsily and blatantly changing the subject.

3. He insults the intelligence of the viewer/listener with his awkward handling of penetrating questions by reverting to the classic Name-Rank-Serial Number routine when captured by the enemy. He must have learned how to do this in the Escape and Evade 101 class at the Academy taught by Rodney Dangerfield.

I would just love to play poker with this guy. He has no skill at all in the art of nuance and guile.

Like having a full head of hair and white teeth in your senior years, either you got it or you don't. In McCain's case, it's as undeniably obvious as his speaking skills.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
3. He insults the intelligence of the viewer/listener with his awkward handling of penetrating questions by reverting to the classic Name-Rank-Serial Number routine when captured by the enemy. He must have learned how to do this in the Escape and Evade 101 class at the Academy taught by Rodney Dangerfield.
Lawls, big :thumbsup:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Here's a video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...FhQ-cA&feature=related
The social security exchange starts around the 3:45 mark.

Wait, wait, did he just say that what stymied negotiations previously in 2004 was Democrats having preconditions coming into the talks? (5:06)

I thought having preconditions was a good thing!? He lambasted Obama for supporting talks to foreign leaders without preconditions.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
You know, when I try to envision Obama sitting in that same chair being asked similar questions and pretending that he responds like McCain does I can honestly see myself heavily considering ditching my support for him. Knowing that, I really can't blame republican supporters for lacking faith in McCain.

I mean shit...look at this. Here we have a man that is genuinely concerned about McCain's tax cuts based on history and McCain's only response is "Look at History". WTF? How does that make any sense at all?

Here's his question. He says, "My question to you is about tax cuts.
How can you explain to the American people that tax cuts are going to solve our economic crisis, whether it might be for the rich or for the poor, whoever it's for, when they really haven't worked for the last eight years?"

MCCAIN: All I can say to him is that, look at history. Look at history.

Times change McCain. History is a grand thing to learn from, but to expect policies which have worked in the past (which is debatable) to work today only because they worked in the past is ludicrous. Considering how much this country and the world itself has changed so fast lately, to assume such a thing is downright irresponsible in my book.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Here's a video link:

Wait, wait, did he just say that what stymied negotiations previously in 2004 was Democrats having preconditions coming into the talks? (5:06)

I thought having preconditions was a good thing!? He lambasted Obama for supporting talks to foreign leaders without preconditions.

Don't forget, McCain was for higher taxes on the rich before he was against it.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: jman19
Here's a video link:

In 2004 that was known as a flip flopper. I love the looks in the eyes of my republican friends when I mention the term "flip flopping" to them, and note how McCain was for something before he was against it. The same people I mention this to insulted Kerry in 2004 for being a flip flopper; now that their candidate is the flip flopper they grow silent.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Drakkon
McCain explaining social security to me sounds like Tom Smykowski explaining his job to the Bobs

:|I'M A PEOPLE PERSON!!!:|

:| What the hell is wrong with you people?!?! :|

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Juddog
Originally posted by: jman19
Here's a video link:

In 2004 that was known as a flip flopper. I love the looks in the eyes of my republican friends when I mention the term "flip flopping" to them, and note how McCain was for something before he was against it. The same people I mention this to insulted Kerry in 2004 for being a flip flopper; now that their candidate is the flip flopper they grow silent.

People are happy to bleat the party line, so long as the attack only applies to the opponent of their candidate.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Xavier434
You know, when I try to envision Obama sitting in that same chair being asked similar questions and pretending that he responds like McCain does I can honestly see myself heavily considering ditching my support for him. Knowing that, I really can't blame republican supporters for lacking faith in McCain.

I mean shit...look at this. Here we have a man that is genuinely concerned about McCain's tax cuts based on history and McCain's only response is "Look at History". WTF? How does that make any sense at all?

How can you explain to the American people that tax cuts are going to solve our economic crisis, whether it might be for the rich or for the poor, whoever it's for, when they really haven't worked for the last eight years?"

Times change McCain. History is a grand thing to learn from, but to expect policies which have worked in the past (which is debatable) to work today only because they worked in the past is ludicrous. Considering how much this country and the world itself has changed so fast lately, to assume such a thing is downright irresponsible in my book.

A good comparison is Obama's impromptu question from a voter, the now infamous Joe the Plumber episode. Keith Obermann ran the whole thing last night and I was astonished. The entire thing lasted about five minutes, Obama asked very pertinent questions to Joe to get pertinent info and seemed genuinely concerned with understanding the question and answering it fully, even though it was apparent to Obama (and everyone else present) that Joe was not going to be a supporter no matter what. Obama was attentive and courteous to Joe (and vice versa). Amazing performance when 99.9% of pols would give a short, stock answer and move on.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Thump553
Originally posted by: Xavier434

A good comparison is Obama's impromptu question from a voter, the now infamous Joe the Plumber episode. Keith Obermann ran the whole thing last night and I was astonished. The entire thing lasted about five minutes, Obama asked very pertinent questions to Joe to get pertinent info and seemed genuinely concerned with understanding the question and answering it fully, even though it was apparent to Obama (and everyone else present) that Joe was not going to be a supporter no matter what. Obama was attentive and courteous to Joe (and vice versa). Amazing performance when 99.9% of pols would give a short, stock answer and move on.

You mean Obama's response wasn't just the select 15 second clip they played on Faux Spews then rambled on about 'spread the wealth'?