McCain is being an ass in Blitzer interview

Oct 16, 1999
I don't know if this is posted anywhere yet, they are showing clips on CNN now. McCain is acting like an absolute ass on some of these questions. The full transcripts are up but it doesn't do the man's assitude justice, particularly in this part they just aired.

Edit: Here's a video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...FhQ-cA&feature=related
The social security exchange starts around the 3:45 mark.

BLITZER: All right. We have another question from a viewer, Frederic Lumiere of Doylestown, Pennsylvania. He says he's an Independent.
He normally says he votes Republican, but he says you lost his vote this time because of what he called negative campaigning.

Here's his question.

MCCAIN: You got anybody who says they've changed their mind and they support me? You got a question from them, Wolf? I'd just love to hear that.

BLITZER: Yes, sir.

Here's his question. He says, "My question to you is about tax cuts.
How can you explain to the American people that tax cuts are going to solve our economic crisis, whether it might be for the rich or for the poor, whoever it's for, when they really haven't worked for the last eight years?"

MCCAIN: All I can say to him is that, look at history. Look at history.

You raise taxes during an economic crisis time, as we did in -- back in the time of Herbert Hoover, you send the country into a depression. I'm not going to do that.

We have a fundamental difference of opinion. Some people thing you've got to spread the wealth around, you've got to raise taxes. As I said, Barney Frank and others have said we're going to get those rich people and we're going to take their money from them. Fine, if that's what they want to do.

And I can hardly -- it's incredible to think of Speaker Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barack Obama with the tax-and-spend policies that they did in the past and that they espouse now and might happen in the future. It invigorates me to keep my campaign going and going hard. I don't want that to happen to America.

BLITZER: Social Security, it's a potential problem out there for our children and grandchildren.

MCCAIN: Sure.

BLITZER: And you've said nothing is off the table as far as coming up with some solutions, long-term solutions to Social...

MCCAIN: You know, that's funny. That's the way you negotiate, and that's the way you negotiate and get solutions.

BLITZER: Right now there's a cap at $102,000 for Social Security payroll withholding tax. Are you open, as part of an effort to save Social Security, to letting that cap go up?

MCCAIN: I'm obviously against it. And I want to tell you again, the way you succeed in negotiations -- and I've done it many times across the aisle, whether it be Ted Kennedy or Russ Feingold or Joe Lieberman or anybody else, is you sit down and you negotiate.

You go in with your negotiating positions. I'll go in with my negotiating positions.

My position is that I won't raise taxes on anybody.

BLITZER: What about increasing the retirement age from 65?

MCCAIN: I will have things on the table, we will negotiate. Ronald Reagan, Tip O'Neill, 1983, went in, negotiated, and came out and saved Social Security. Guess what? That's what the American people want from us.

That's what I've done all the time I've been in the Congress of the United States. And so for me to say anything but I'm going to do what I saw two great leaders, Tip O'Neill and Ronald Reagan, do is just foolishness.

BLITZER: So raising the retirement age?

MCCAIN: The Democrats -- the reason why we couldn't get agreement in
2005 is because the Democrats insisted as a precondition that we raise taxes. So guess what? We never sat down at the table together.

The Americans want us to sit down together, Wolf. And so all I can tell you is I'll sit down with them. I've worked with them before. I'll sit across the table from them.

I'm against tax increases. I'm against a lot of the bad things that a lot of the people support. But I'll get a result, and we'll save Social Security.

BLITZER: And how do you feel about raising the retirement age?

MCCAIN: I feel very strongly that I'll sit down with the Democrats and we'll negotiate out something that will save Social Security, because that's our obligation to future generations of Americans. And you can ask me, you know, for the next half-hour if you'd like -- I mean, it would be kind of fun -- and my answer is going to be the same. I will sit down and negotiate the way I have done in the past, which Senator Obama has never done, whether it be in judicial nominations or whether it be in immigration reform or ethics or lobbying reform. He always went home to the Democrat leadership.

BLITZER: Let's talk a little bit about your support -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- you did support President Bush's plan to overhaul Social Security and allow Social Security recipients to use about 10 percent of their Social Security savings in the stock market. That collapsed, obviously. It didn't go forward.

Knowing what we know now about the volatility of the stock market, is that still a good idea?

MCCAIN: The reason why the talks collapsed is because the Democrats insisted on agreeing to tax increases before we sat down. So let's understand history.

BLITZER: What about Social Security investments...

(CROSSTALK)

MCCAIN: That's what they wanted to do. And all this other stuff was worth negotiating. And I will protect as president of the United States the Social Security benefits of retirees and future retirees. I will protect those benefits, and I'll do whatever's necessary to protect those benefits, and I've said that time over time.

Every even-numbered year Democrats run out, scare the senior citizens, say they're going to raise your taxes, they're going to destroy Social Security. Same old stuff. I've seen it for more years than I can count.

I'm not scaring any senior. I'm going to preserve their -- protect their Social Security benefits, despite what ads may be run. And the senior citizens, as well as all citizens in this country...

BLITZER: And the notion of using 10 percent in the stock market?

MCCAIN: ... they know about how I'm going to fix Social Security. And I'm going to make their Social Security the best I can, and we'll preserve the benefits that they have, and I'll protect Social Security.

BLITZER: And the 10 percent?

MCCAIN: And I'll protect Social Security, and I'll sit down at the table with the Democrats. And by the way, we can keep -- you know, this is -- I'll give you -- I'm telling...

BLITZER: This is an important issue.

MCCAIN: ... I'm going to protect Social Security, and that's what I've done my entire career. And I will do what Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill did, and that is save Social Security and make Americans aware that, unfortunately, present-day retirees have -- working Americans today are not going to receive the same benefits as present-day retirees unless we fix it. And I think I can convince the American people that we'll sit down together.

Full transcript here:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...x.html?eref=rss_latest

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Wow, way to answer the questions, McCain. Looks like he showed up with flash cards of talking points and had to make sure to read them all out loud.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
2nd Presidential Debate

BROKAW: The three -- health care, energy, and entitlement reform: Social Security and Medicare. In what order would you put them in terms of priorities?

MCCAIN: I think you can work on all three at once, Tom. I think it's very important that reform our entitlement programs.

My friends, we are not going to be able to provide the same benefit for present-day workers that we are going -- that present-day retirees have today.

Good luck with that one, John ....

You've been spending my social security in Iraq for 5 1/2 years now.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's a shame our entire political structure spends so much of their time kowtowing to AARP that we'll never get to have an honest discussion about what needs to be done to fix social security.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
That's funny. The viewer said he previously voted Republican but McCain lost his vote because of the negative campaigning. And the first thing McCain does in reply to his question is talk negative about the Democrats.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's a shame our entire political structure spends so much of their time kowtowing to AARP that we'll never get to have an honest discussion about what needs to be done to fix social security.

That's because they vote more than other groups.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
McCain explaining social security to me sounds like Tom Smykowski explaining his job to the Bobs

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: zoiks
That's funny. The viewer said he previously voted Republican but McCain lost his vote because of the negative campaigning. And the first thing McCain does in reply to his question is talk negative about the Democrats.

when you only have 1 bullet in your gun....

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti

You shoot yourself in the foot? Too bad it was in his mouth at the time...

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti

You shoot yourself in the foot? Too bad it was in his mouth at the time...

Nah, that's why he has Caribou Barbie, she's the marksman.
LOL... sorry, couldn't keep a straight face.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Drakkon
McCain explaining social security to me sounds like Tom Smykowski explaining his job to the Bobs

:|I'M A PEOPLE PERSON!!!:|

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Unbelievable. I've not seen a politician dodge so severely, ever, but I've also never seen an interviewer ask the same question THREE TIMES trying to pin him down. I definitely give kudos to Wolf for trying. If I was him I'd have said "I'm sorry, Senator, but if you cannot answer my questions, we cannot continue this interview.". That would have been awesome :)

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
They say to answer the question that you wish had been asked. I think you're supposed to be a little more tactful though. At least acknowledge the question and give a short ambiguous answer that somewhat relates to the question before you change the subject.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
How can Wolf say that the stock market is bad? Everyone knows we have bubbles, rather you are Democrat or Republican the story is the same. To say that 10% of Social Security into the stock market is a bad idea is insane at best. You can easily get back 2-3% interest on a conservative portfolio.

The facts are what they are. Everyone knows raising taxes is a bad idea. Everyone knows that Social Security is a broken mess.

Do any of you remember why Social Security was started in the first place? It was for veterans and widow's. Anyone who tries to fix Social Security will be whipped to death. Who wants to tell someone they have to raise the retirement age? How is a democrat going to solve the problem? Guess what folks? The same way a republican would.

Get rid of Welfare, get rid of medicare and you have fixed SS. So much Government!!!!!!!!! Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Zstream
How can Wolf say that the stock market is bad? Everyone knows we have bubbles, rather you are Democrat or Republican the story is the same. To say that 10% of Social Security into the stock market is a bad idea is insane at best. You can easily get back 2-3% interest on a conservative portfolio.

The facts are what they are. Everyone knows raising taxes is a bad idea. Everyone knows that Social Security is a broken mess.

Do any of you remember why Social Security was started in the first place? It was for veterans and widow's. Anyone who tries to fix Social Security will be whipped to death. Who wants to tell someone they have to raise the retirement age? How is a democrat going to solve the problem? Guess what folks? The same way a republican would.

Get rid of Welfare, get rid of medicare and you have fixed SS. So much Government!!!!!!!!! Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your logic is not welcome here. Please leave.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel

Your illogic is not welcome here. Please leave.

Fixed.

Social security is fully funded for the next ten years - and with the $3+ trillion owed to the fund it will function well into the future. You are going to pay for the Iraq war whether you like it or not ....

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jman19

No straight answers from the straight talk express. Sad.

That's why I say McCain couldn't keep his Double Talk Express on track if it had training wheels.

Originally posted by: Skoorb

Unbelievable. I've not seen a politician dodge so severely, ever,...

Then you forgot Palin's performance in her debate with Biden where she "wouldn't necessarily answer questions she was asked but would instead address the American people directly.

Translation: She wouldn't, or couldn't, address the question so she took off on an entirely different, non-related talking point. It's all either of them can do when they have no answers.

How can Wolf say that the stock market is bad? Everyone knows we have bubbles, rather you are Democrat or Republican the story is the same.

Today, the Dow fell 514.45, 5.69 percent, to 8,519.21, down from its all time high of 14,165.43 on Oct. 9, 2007. For the arithmetically challenged, that's a loss of around 40% of its value in one year, and it's definitely NOT the same old story.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Because honestly is just OVERFLOWING from the other groups involved in the discussions :roll:

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003

maybe we should start by not letting the government use those ss dollars as A credit line.

That would be a good start.

Dont make me remind you who began raiding the SS funds

SS would pay for itself if the feds could keep their hands off

I mean they fool us to believe that payroll taxes are "seperate" from income and gains taxes, yet they always go to the same pool. And they will dismantle SS that was paid for by payroll taxes because we cant raise the Income or capital gains taxes on poor small businesses (pssst and the wealthy)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Then you forgot Palin's performance in her debate with Biden where she "wouldn't necessarily answer questions she was asked but would instead address the American people directly.
But in her defense, she simply cannot answer the questions; like asking me how to properly initiate the launch sequence for a shuttle flight. McCain COULD have given answers here.