Mazda RX8 Vs. BMW E46 M3

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
I was at a little ?party? (if you can call it that) around a friend?s house last night and I met this know-it-all, annoying prick who thought he knew everything when it came to cars ? always shouting you down claiming his word as truth. I will give him his dues, he is quite clever, but it?s just the way he came across that really irked me.

Now? me, him and a few others start chatting (usual small talk) and before long the topic of cars and who drives what came up.

This idiot has bought an RX8 and thinks it?s a road legal F1 car. He proceeds to tell me that his car would destroy mine around a track (WTF, I?m just chilling and chatting about cars) ? the ?ring was an example he gave. I contested, but he simply kept rambling on and for some reason kept trying to belittle my car. :confused:

So, I?m curious, without having done a great deal of research, which car generally performs better, on the track, handling and all that kind of stuff?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
the RX8 handles well, though I couldn't find a ring time for it. The E46 has a claimed ring time of 8:22 according to the wikipedia list. The E46 is up on power and torque but also carries a few hundred more pounds. Would be an interesting shootout, IMO.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Would it have been easier/more efficient for both of you to just whip out your peckers and compare them? :)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: RKS
Would it have been easier/more efficient for both of you to just whip out your peckers and compare them? :)

All I did was disagree with him. The matey who owned the RX8 just enjoyed endlessly talking about his car, without being rude I just stood there and simply entertained him.

The reason I asked the question is because I was curious.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
M3 would be faster hands down. The RX-8 is a good handling car, but doesn't have the power the RX-7 had. Now if he was driving a RX-7 FD3S, this would be whole different story. If you take modding into consideration, assuming he has a turbo in there, then there's a possibility that the RX-8 would be faster. It all depends on tuning of course.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Probably the M3 in anything like Road America. With a highly technical course, I could see the RX8 maybe pull ahead but the M3 will be massively quicker in the straights.

The M3/RX8 are both SCCA T2 road race cars and the M3 usually places ahead of the RX8, in the upper-middle pack with 350Zs, on most longer courses (Of course the Evos, Camaro/Firebirds and STis absolutely murder everything else). Of course with SCCA T2, the driver skill level has to factor in, but at tracks like Mid-Ohio or a full VIR, the M3 usually proves to be faster.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: geokilla
The RX-8 is a good handling car, but doesn't have the power the RX-7 had.

Yes the RX-7's 255HP is leaps and bounds ahead of the RX-8's 238HP...cut it out :laugh:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: geno

Yes the RX-7's 255HP is leaps and bounds ahead of the RX-8's 238HP...cut it out :laugh:

Well, to add insult to injury :

RX-7 Turbo Curb Weight : 2826LBS
RX-8 Curb Weight : 3084LBS.

258lbs can and will make a difference, both in a straight line and on the curves.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Originally posted by: mwmorph
Probably the M3 in anything like Road America. With a highly technical course, I could see the RX8 maybe pull ahead but the M3 will be massively quicker in the straights.

The M3/RX8 are both SCCA T2 road race cars and the M3 usually places ahead of the RX8, in the upper-middle pack with 350Zs, on most longer courses (Of course the Evos, Camaro/Firebirds and STis absolutely murder everything else). Of course with SCCA T2, the driver skill level has to factor in, but at tracks like Mid-Ohio or a full VIR, the M3 usually proves to be faster.

Don't forget the Solstice Z0k ;)

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
yeah, but would you rather be in a BMW or a Mazda? in the end, when you're driving on the street, 'ring times are a way of making yourself feel better about your purchase.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Depends on the track. The RX8 is very nice around a tiny track but it is hugely lacking in power. I am sure that on the average track the M3 would humiliate it.

Now, if this race took place after 60k on either car chances are the RX8 would start spurting oil all over the track anyway and need a new engine.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

I think you're underrating the RX-7's power and overrating the RX-8's power.

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Howard

the FD sold in the US had 255-265ps depending on if it was an AT or MT.

the RX8 has 231 HP, less with the slushbox

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Howard

This x100.

Someone is playing with numbers in their asshole

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
RX8 has no power to exit the turns. It's so horrible. It looks good and handles well but does not compete in it's segment. There are so many better cars for the money.