mazda 3s or scion tc ??????

zener

Aug 1, 2000
I like the Mazda 3s very much but the 160hp is just a little weak and not torquey as I wish. With the Mazdaspeed 3, the engine is now 200hp (forget about the 240hp in awd) which is the same as the Scion Tc with supercharger option. Although I like the Mazda's look better, I am inclined to go with the Scion because it is a Toyota, thus hopefully more reliable. Which one would you prefer?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As much as I LOVE the 3s, it's expensive as hell for a model with 17" wheels and side airbags.

If Toyota can do some pricing magic on the tC (as they do with the xA and xB), it should be the car to have in this segment.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo wth do they supercharge a small engine, wouldn't turbo work better?
No turbo lag
Yes, this I know. But on a small engine, the power require to turn the compressor would be robbed off power from the engine also, which would make it less efficient than a turbo. Granted there are turbo lags, but turbo will work better in higher RPMs than supercharge due to non restriction of belt.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
As much as I LOVE the 3s, it's expensive as hell for a model with 17" wheels and side airbags.

If Toyota can do some pricing magic on the tC (as they do with the xA and xB), it should be the car to have in this segment.

I am sure when they are gonna come out, they are going to be a hot item and will be selling wayyyy over their sticker price.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo wth do they supercharge a small engine, wouldn't turbo work better?
No turbo lag
Yes, this I know. But on a small engine, the power require to turn the compressor would be robbed off power from the engine also, which would make it less efficient than a turbo. Granted there are turbo lags, but turbo will work better in higher RPMs than supercharge due to non restriction of belt.

Then the goal was probably low end/immediate torque

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
you suck at teh poll :)

anyhow, I'd take the Mazda3 any day. It may be more expensive, but it strikes me as being far more refined and unique. Also, the MazdaSpeed version should be an absolute dream to drive, especially if it comes with AWD. The Scion just doesn't strike me as being that impressive. It just doesn't make me say 'God DAAAAAMN thats a nice car' in the same way the mazda3 does.

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000
of the two, the mazada ones pretty cool, looks and performance wise.

for 20, 000 the poll should include the lancer wagon too. its O so cool ...or the mazad protege wagon ....ohmigod!!! its a beauty isnt it?