Mazda 3 Hatchback vs Subaru Impreza wagon vs Toyota Matrix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Yeah, I noticed the toyota was a bit lacking in the hp. The Impreza is also the only one with a hitch.

For those saying Mazda3 is a bad idea because first gen, what about a used Protege5?

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The other thing to keep in mind is the Mazda 3 gets much better gas mileage than the Impreza.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I'm going to get laughed the hell out of here, but I am in the market for a hatch/wagon/compact SUV for a company car. Just for sh!t's and giggles I stopped in and looked at the Chevy Malibu Maxx. You know what? It really isn't that bad of a car at all. Especially for the price. The engine is very smooth and gets up and goes quite well. The seats are quite comfortable for a GM vehicle. It has heated seats, tilt & telescoping steering wheel, power seats, adjustable pedals, ect.

The back seat is cavernous. It has over 41" of back seat space which is insane for a midsize car. Only complaint is that it's not an overly good looking car and the interior was a bit lackluster.

But hey, I could have walked out of the dealer with a completely decked out one with leather, power everything, nice torquey V6 that pulled 30MPG on the highway, and nice storage space for $19,550 (and that was the LT top trim level).

For the price I don't know how I could have gone wrong.
I'll tell you how - it's a Chevy.
It was also over $4,000 cheaper than the Forester XT.
Yeah, but does it do 0-60 in under 6?!

--

Imprezas are nice. You'd have to drive one. It will surely get worse mileage than the others, since the AWD (at least in my mom's) sucked back gas like it was going out of style. Subaru has awesome quality, and a unique look in the impreza.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeraden
The other thing to keep in mind is the Mazda 3 gets much better gas mileage than the Impreza.

And the 2.3 Mazda3 gets worse gas mileage than the matrix. The 2.0 gets about the same but priced with those options isnt a pretty sight. Doesnt even come with AC.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm also in the market for a small wagon or hatch, and I looked at all 3 vehicles at this year's autoshow... of the 3 I thought the Matrix was the most comfortable, personally I can't stand the 3's interior. I hate the gauges, and the center stack looks ugly IMO. Plus it would be a nightmare to put an aftermarket deck in. The Impreza was nice, but I've got a friend with a WRX and his seats seemed better than the ones in the Impreza TS.

I'm probably gonna get flamed to oblivion for this, but what about a Ford Focus? I'm looking seriously at the ZX5, and it seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you can find one slightly used. It looks like they've worked out all the initial quality issues, and there's a large amount of mods available if that's your thing...

Dave

beyonddc

May 17, 2001
I own a Mazda 3, and I've a very early build of that car. I took my car in to dealer for repair for a total of 5 times since January.

Replaced airbag sensor, brake sensor, abs sensor, brake moter and fuel pump.

My car been troublefree for about a week now since the last time I took it to the shop which was last week.

Anyway, I still suggest you to get a Mazda 3, I think if you buy it now, you'll get a later build of this car, and there shouldn't be any problem, and I must say, it is a very enjoyable ride. Much much better than my old 95 sentra.

If you want to read more information about the 3, I suggest you visit this forum.
Mazda 3 Forum

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveJ
I'm also in the market for a small wagon or hatch, and I looked at all 3 vehicles at this year's autoshow... of the 3 I thought the Matrix was the most comfortable, personally I can't stand the 3's interior. I hate the gauges, and the center stack looks ugly IMO. Plus it would be a nightmare to put an aftermarket deck in. The Impreza was nice, but I've got a friend with a WRX and his seats seemed better than the ones in the Impreza TS.

I'm probably gonna get flamed to oblivion for this, but what about a Ford Focus? I'm looking seriously at the ZX5, and it seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you can find one slightly used. It looks like they've worked out all the initial quality issues, and there's a large amount of mods available if that's your thing...

Dave

Aside from looks, what about the longevity of a Ford vs a Mazda or Toyota.... I'm planning to own this car for a while, so hopefully it lasts a good bit.

edit /ugh, no manual for ford focus wagon?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: beyonddc
I own a Mazda 3, and I've a very early build of that car. I took my car in to dealer for repair for a total of 5 times since January.

Replaced airbag sensor, brake sensor, abs sensor, brake moter and fuel pump.

My car been troublefree for about a week now since the last time I took it to the shop which was last week.

Anyway, I still suggest you to get a Mazda 3, I think if you buy it now, you'll get a later build of this car, and there shouldn't be any problem, and I must say, it is a very enjoyable ride. Much much better than my old 95 sentra.

If you want to read more information about the 3, I suggest you visit this forum.
Mazda 3 Forum
Holy crap, 5 times? Man, that's worse than brand new Kia, surely!
Plus it would be a nightmare to put an aftermarket deck in.
Yep, to put an aftermarket deck in the mazda 3 you buy a new car!

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
I find all three of these cars pretty ugly. The way Mazda was giving away Protege5's recently, I'd say a gently used one would be a great bargain. There are a few '03s by me going for $13k-14k with under 6k miles on them.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dxkj
Originally posted by: DaveJ

Dave

Aside from looks, what about the longevity of a Ford vs a Mazda or Toyota.... I'm planning to own this car for a while, so hopefully it lasts a good bit.

edit /ugh, no manual for ford focus wagon?

I've been lurking in several Focus forums for a while, and there don't seem to be any major issues with the car. Informal surveys show that the car holds up well for at least 75-100K, but time will tell... not too many people have high miles on the 2003+ models yet. I'm also looking for something very reliable, and I don't think I'd have a problem buying one. I drive a Saturn for now, and they're notorious for burning oil (mine included). I haven't read of any problems like that for the Focus.

That's a bummer about the wagon, I didn't know a manual wasn't available... If you don't like the styling, the 2005 models will have a minor exterior reskin and a new interior that's more traditional than the current one. I like the new styling quite a bit.

Dave

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Will definitely be checking out the protege wagons around here, none of the ones I've seen are at a great price though. What were the retails on the protege?

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: dxkj
Will definitely be checking out the protege wagons around here, none of the ones I've seen are at a great price though. What were the retails on the protege?

Sorry I don't recall I just remember people getting great deals and Mazda offering big incentives because the Mazda3's were coming. I want to say $15-16k loaded, but I can't be sure.

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
i voted for the impreza wagon, with the mazda three a close second. i personally have a wrx wagon, and LOVE IT! I still get a lot of looks and comments on my car with it being a 2002. The car is built (to me it seems) to be a more rugged type of vehicle that you can just use in many occasions. I looked at the matrix too, and liked the interior room with the flat folding seats, but something drove me to the AWD and the more power it produced than the AWD matrix.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Kev
why do people like hatchbacks? they are so ugly

Because some of us value function over form. Same way that I'll take a sedan anyday over a coupe. I HATE two doors.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kev
why do people like hatchbacks? they are so ugly

Sez you. :p

Hatches allow you to haul more stuff, and they have better handling and gas mileage than most SUVs and trucks...

Dave

MPankau

Apr 8, 2002
I just traded in my Pontiac Vibe (ala toyota matrix). it was filled with rattles and squeeks, all with only 20k miles on it. Not enough power or torque and drives rough down the road. the i4 vibrates and there are all sorts of other various annoyances that come with it. Buy ANYTHING but the matrix.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MPankau
I just traded in my Pontiac Vibe (ala toyota matrix). it was filled with rattles and squeeks, all with only 20k miles on it. Not enough power or torque and drives rough down the road. the i4 vibrates and there are all sorts of other various annoyances that come with it. Buy ANYTHING but the matrix.

Hrm thats the first I've heard of that. Will do some more research.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
A lot of people have some rattles/road noise with the mazda 3 as well I guess... Probably partly because its a new model.