Mayor Pete - Transportation Secretary

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I get it.
And I think the concept of owning a car in the future is for the few, its gonna be autonomous ridesharing, like call an uber and an EV will pull up with 2-3 other passengers going the same direction. I believe Model 3 already has the bare bones of this built in in its software

Basicly your car is never parked and when it is, it can be parked far away, and called upon when needed.

But yea, I hear you, still, lets see how it works out.

It will definitely change things but cars take space regardless. Btw I'm about to watch Bordertown on Netflix, my first Scandinavian crime thriller. I heard it's real good, and have some others on my list. After watching some other good foreign crime series on streaming services during the pandemic, curious to see what the northernmost Europeans have to offer.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Something that really doesn't compare to a modern bullet-train. When the Acela goes through my town (like most towns in coastal Connecticut), it's doing less than 100 miles an hour. It makes for a pretty long and boring trip.

Someone should let Elon Musk's Boring Company dig a bigassed tunnel under Connecticut and Southern Mass, so we can have a "real" modern bullet train that can go from New York to Boston in under 2 hours.
I’m not sure that cutting a several hundred mile tunnel is cost effective.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I’m not sure that cutting a several hundred mile tunnel is cost effective.

Probably not, but if they could tunnel under some urban and suburban areas, it could possibly cost less than trying to buy a bunch of overpriced Connecticut coastal real-estate for a high speed rail line.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
lol these picks are just like Trump.... Not concerned with actual leadership in a role they are experienced in... just who rubbed his balls nicely.

Thus, nothing for Bernie - or even Warren.

This is just as moronic as Ben Carson appointed to HUD.

And the establishment of elite plutocrats lives on as expected....

The bolded in not appropriate when referring to the appointment of a gay man.

Perknose
Forum Director

Mayor Pete has more balls and leadership experience than trump, his family and most of his appointees. Trump’s picks were family and cronies.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
lol these picks are just like Trump.... Not concerned with actual leadership in a role they are experienced in... just who rubbed his balls nicely.

Well, that seems to explain how you hold onto a job. Or do you lick them instead?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Probably not, but if they could tunnel under some urban and suburban areas, it could possibly cost less than trying to buy a bunch of overpriced Connecticut coastal real-estate for a high speed rail line.

The current Amtrak preference is to build a high speed bypass line inland north of NYC that avoids the existing constraints of the route between there and Boston. There is no money to do this at present.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Overall I'm relatively happy with Pete at DOT. He has a little experience but not too much which in this country locks in a lot of narrow views and a general can't do attitude (looking at you MTA, NJT, Amtrak, etc).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Well, at least he doesn't have any stupid industry ties. There's a ton of stuff that should be done under DOT, but the money would have to be pried out of the cold dead hands of republican senators.
I hope Joe's electrification program gets voted through (massive # of charging stations); that'll knock down one obstacle to EVs and give automotive manufacturers more incentive to build them.

I think Pete could score some major points on the political and leadership front if there were a successful rollout of this project.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Former Transportation Chief of NYC named Deputy Secretary of Transportation. Good.

"New York City’s former transportation chief Polly Trottenberg has been named Deputy Secretary of Transportation by the incoming Biden administration. "
Not sure if anyone who has any position of authority in the MTA should be running much of anything.

Except Andy Byford. So sad he left.

Reactions: Brainonska511

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not sure if anyone who has any position of authority in the MTA should be running much of anything.

Except Andy Byford. So sad he left.

As far as MTA board members go she wasn't bad. My impression of her as DOT head was that she wanted to do more but was limited by BdB's weakness and indecisiveness.

Now most of the MTA executives should never be appointed to anything. There was a time when Feinberg was eyed for the SecTrans job and that's just a nope.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As far as MTA board members go she wasn't bad. My impression of her as DOT head was that she wanted to do more but was limited by BdB's weakness and indecisiveness.

Now most of the MTA executives should never be appointed to anything. There was a time when Feinberg was eyed for the SecTrans job and that's just a nope.
I mean the NYC transit is under the MTA and that’s run by Cuomo. The MTA being dysfunctional is one of the few problems in the city I don’t blame De Blasio for.

This is why control of the subway should be returned to the mayor - so if it sucks we can hold him accountable.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Was that the British fellow?
It was! It was amazing how much of a difference having a competent leader made, even if he was still handcuffed by Cuomo.

For example he found one of the big causes of train delays was that for safety reasons the MTA has signals that detect train speed throughout the system and automatically trip the brakes if a train is going too fast. This is a fundamentally good idea, but tons of the signals were miscalibrated so they would trip even when they shouldn’t. So what was the response? Trains would go super slow in certain areas for no good reason, creating delays.

So his answer was simply to properly calibrate the signals - it cost very little to do and had an immediate positive impact. Why had no one done that before? Great question.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I mean the NYC transit is under the MTA and that’s run by Cuomo. The MTA being dysfunctional is one of the few problems in the city I don’t blame De Blasio for.

This is why control of the subway should be returned to the mayor - so if it sucks we can hold him accountable.

NYCT is run by the MTA and yes ultimately by your terrible governor.

NYCDOT is a different entity and is entirely city controlled by your terrible mayor.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
NYCT is run by the MTA and yes ultimately by your terrible governor.

NYCDOT is a different entity and is entirely city controlled by your terrible mayor.
Ah you’re right, my mistake! Yes though, NYCDOT is also terrible. It is primarily good at making new parking spots for NYPD vehicles and delivery trucks. These are, oddly enough, referred to as bike lanes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It was! It was amazing how much of a difference having a competent leader made, even if he was still handcuffed by Cuomo.

For example he found one of the big causes of train delays was that for safety reasons the MTA has signals that detect train speed throughout the system and automatically trip the brakes if a train is going too fast. This is a fundamentally good idea, but tons of the signals were miscalibrated so they would trip even when they shouldn’t. So what was the response? Trains would go super slow in certain areas for no good reason, creating delays.

So his answer was simply to properly calibrate the signals - it cost very little to do and had an immediate positive impact. Why had no one done that before? Great question.

For anybody interested here is a post on how the 1995 Williamsburg Bridge subway collision led to changes that eventually ended up crippling the system.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2018/0...subway-crash-led-nycs-current-transit-crisis/

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

I remember reading a whole profile about him when he was appointed. It was a while back and he sounded good. Too bad it didn't work out.

Ah you’re right, my mistake! Yes though, NYCDOT is also terrible. It is primarily good at making new parking spots for NYPD vehicles and delivery trucks. These are, oddly enough, referred to as bike lanes.

DOT can create the bike, pedestrian and bus friendly infrastructure, it's up to the NYPD to enforce the rules.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is primarily good at making new parking spots for NYPD vehicles and delivery trucks. These are, oddly enough, referred to as bike lanes.

Yeah I won't debate that aspect though the mayor is ultimately responsible for making the NYPD abide by and enforce the rules and he doses't, almost ever on anything.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah I won't debate that aspect though the mayor is ultimately responsible for making the NYPD abide by and enforce the rules and he doses't, almost ever on anything.
Yes, it’s very clear that he has no interest in taking on the NYPD and they know it. Really though, he has almost no interest in any aspect of his job these days.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes, it’s very clear that he has no interest in taking on the NYPD and they know it. Really though, he has almost no interest in any aspect of his job these days.

The bike infrastructure has helped though. Riding in the city in many areas has definitely improved in my experience of the last 10 years I've been riding the city for fun. Still a lot to be done especially outside of Manhattan and the nicer parts of Brooklyn.