Maybe a way to charge Moto Slvr faster over USB...

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I thought I posted this before, but I can't find the thread :(.

Anyhow, I bought an External 2.5" USB HDD that came with a cable that has the same Mini USB connection as my SLVR. There are two USB connections to the comptuer incase that one does not provide enough power. That external hard drive has never needed the second connection on any computer that I use.

So I was thinking that since it could supply extra power for the USB HDD, why not supply exter power when I plug my phone into the computer to charge?

Is this a bad idea? Could it damage the phone? Has anyone tried? Will it not charge any faster than at the 500mAh rate?

Thx!

Feb 10, 2000
This will work, but you will need a driver from Motorola (I think it's actually a Motorola USB modem driver, at least it was with my V3c). It will not damage your phone.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I can connect it with the regular USB connection and it works fine, no driver is needed. I believe the RAZRs need it but the SLVRs do not.

Are you saying that I will need a driver for it to charge faster?

And you are sure that with BOTH USB connections it will not cause a problem? Do you know someone who has done this?

Feb 10, 2000
I misunderstood what you were asking.

I doubt very much this would charge your phone faster, and I think it might well damage it. I wouldn't try it if I were you.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
It doesn't supply extra power to the HD, it only makes sure the supply from the USB is reliable and doesn't overload your computer.

You phone is designed to only require so much power, putting into onto a bigger power supply will do nothing.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
The USB ports can supply a max of 500mA. Each port is supposed to give 100mA unless the device wants more.

The power adapter for the Razr gives 550mA.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Just remember that it's a lithium-ion in the phone. You don't want to improperly charge them and damage it, not that the phone should really let you. You will be putting the phone next to your ear and wouldn't want it to explode..

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I understand that the standard charger charges at 550mAh, are there any faster chargers for this phone available? If so, then a charge of over 500mA from the USB would be no difference than plugging it into a quicker charger.

If not, then that is lame. 550 or 500mAh charge rate is extremely slow. I worked for Olympus and their battery chargers would charge at a faster rate (though I do not remember off the top of my head), and also my Nokia 6820 would charge much faster as well. As inferior as that phone is in many obvious ways, the superiority of Nokia continues to shine through the more that I use this phone...

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
I charge my Razr over usb using a USB cable I bought on ebay quite a bit and its still working fine. you should be okay ;)