maxtor or ibm deskstar???

teras

Apr 5, 2000
my friend and i are argueing about which is faster i say ibm he says maxtor...what do you think???

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't know which is faster, but for quality I'd choose IBM over anything else everytime. That would probably be because I'm a dissappointed Maxtor(I've seen too many die) user turned impressed IBM user.

ingenue007

Apr 4, 2000
get the IBM drive.

my 1 month old POS maxtor diamond max 40+ 7200 RPM 15 gig HD died today. 1 freaking month!!!

just bought a 15 gig IBM 75GXP drive. also i think IBM drives benchmark higher and are quieter.

go for IBM. maxtor sucks.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
My 75GXP running at ATA/100 is very fast. It is also super quiet. I believe the 75gxp line of drives are the only ones with a glass media data surface. The rest are all aluminium I think...

iwang5

Jul 13, 2000
i just put in my new ibm hd, and it is so fast and quiet, I think IBM is better then anything offered in the market

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Yeah, maybe I am just from the old school but I STILL don't trust Maxtor. They had MANY MANY problems years back and I am still leary.

I have an IBM 75GXP 20GB and it is probably one of the quietest drives I have ever used.. fast as well. I would highly recommend them.

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
well here i go...
I prefer Maxtor.
Quieter and in my experience, at least as reliable.
And you cannot beat their warranty replacement policy should you experience the misfortune that befell ingenue007.

you may flame when ready...

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
ibm is faster. i have 2 +40 drives and an older ibm gxp. like em all. no problems with the maxtors tho.

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
speed wise, the maxtor still edges out the competition. However, they are manufactured cheaper and this may be due to it's raised RMA rate.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
I had my 3 month old maxtor start making an awefull screeching noise. Never died but I got it rmaed. Maxtor has an excelent rma policy. They ship you a new one right away and you have to send the broken one back within 30 days.

ingenue007

Apr 4, 2000
about the RMA policy.....do you just call maxtor, tell them your HD is shot and they send you a new one? any hassles? do they need any 'proof'?

guess i'm gonna RMA mine as soon as i get my new IBM drive

thanks

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
ingenue007 - yep, they don't need any proof or anything. They ask you for a couple of numbers that are stamped on the hard disk. You don't need to tell them how your hard disk broke (I didn't have to lie about the fact that mine apparently failed because I was running my PCI bus faaar to high :)).

You do however, have to send your defective drive back to them, within 30 days, or they will charge you the full price for the new drive they sent you. So you might loose a few dollars on shipping the broken drive back, but other than that, their RMA policy is great :)

Fo course...it'd be better if the freaking things didn't break in the first place.... ;)

Crypticburn

Jul 22, 2000
I went with IBM, faster, quieter, oh and another good point about it... it's not MAXTOR. I've had too many maxtors die, they may be more reliable now, but I still cant get over my distrust... give me the IBM.... :)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Teras,read the Anandtech review at homepage(IBM 75 GXP Hard Drive)this will give you your answer.

HellRaven

Feb 5, 2000
I rate IBM and Quantum as the best quality drives. Fujitsu, Maxtor, and others are all not quite as reliable. Of course, that is just my experience. Other peoples mileage, as always, will vary.

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
LOL
Is conner still in business?

God does that name bring back memories of filthy dirty compaqs and hex head screws.