Maxtor drives stalling at spinup

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I wasn't too sure how to list this.

I put this problem under another forum as a "beeping" problem with the drives, but beeping isn't the right term.

It would appear that it is a power supply problem, BUT this has only happened the last 9 months in the 1 3/4 years I have had this setup with the only changes being a different 2nd USB camera and more memory (256 to 512).

I have a Epox 8KTA M/B, a AMD 700 T bird, a 20G and a 40G Maxtor drive, burner, CD rom, audio card, modem and NIC.

When the drives are in standby or at bootup (with no pattern), sometimes they are fine, other times they hang, the drives won't spinup right away and will hesitate that the bios doesn't always see the second drive on startup or the system pauses when the drive(s) start up at a request of the system, either to open a folder or start a program. I have the timeout at 10 minutes in pwr mgnt. as I always have had to help keep them cooler since they sit on top of one another.

I have a 300w PS and it would seem that it is a current issue, BUT this is the same setup (almost) as it was when new and the prioblem only recently started showing up. I know it is easy to blame the supply, but I don't want to run out and buy another supply on the chance that really is the problem.

The different camera has the same current ratting and the 256MB of additional RAM can't really draw that much more current, besides this is a 12volt issue IF it is a current problem with the drives not 3.3 or 5 volt
right?

Also the drives emit a strange squeal that is a cross between a beep and a mechincal squeak. I have run the Maxtor diagnostic program and the drives pass.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Call the 800 number and get a new drive, ask the nice person for the advance exchange option

you dont need an error code, you only have to pay for shipping back to maxtor

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I have dealt with Maxtor before.
They will ask if I preformed the test.
When I tell them yes and it tested ok why would they send me another drive?
If I say no, they will ask that I preform the tests!

RemyCanad

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Sounds like the bearing are getting stuck in it. I would call up maxtor and tell them your problem. Even if the test runs fine, it is not testing the problem you are having...

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maxtor has a no quibble warranty, they will replace the drive if it's under warranty for any reason (they dont much care, it just gets refurbed and sent back out)

If you get a pissy CSR on the phone call back and get someone else

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Since you added that RAm.. have you had any probs?

Could be bad ram, could be Voltage...

:confused:

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I will call Maxtor for a replacement.

I am monitoring the voltage via Motherboard Monitor and a digital meter off the drive power bus.

So far nothing below 11.7v though MB Monitor reports low: 11.7 vs 12v per the meter.

No known problems with the additional RAM.