Maximus IV Extreme/2600k - Need help!!

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Hi Guys,

I received my B3 replacement mobo on Friday and re-installed everything on Saturday. It has been working fine up until last night. I was playing with the CPU offset trying to get a stable overclock at a decent voltage (less than 1.35v). I saved the bios and Windows booted and froze during boot-up. I hard powered off the computer and rebooted and was greeted with this BSOD saying that "multiprocessors are not supported". I then went into the bios and just enabled one CPU core and windows boots right up.

photo-2.jpg

I set the bios back to default settings, removed the battery to clear the CMOS and I cannot get past this screen. I thought I hosed my Windows install so tried to format the drive and re-install everything. I get the same BSOD after windows loads the files off the disk. Basically, I cannot do anything unless I only enable one CPU core. If I try 2,3 of all 4 I get the same BSOD. Help!

Thank you.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Thats an interesting BSOD actually. I would write to ASUS and tell them about it. Even if you do find the answer to your problem before they respond you are at least in the system in the event you cannot find a solution.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
I will call ASUS today, just waiting for them to open up. I did some Googling last night and some older ASUS mobos had the same problem and was fixed with a BIOS update. For some reason, Windows sees it as a multiprocessor mobo which of course is not supported in Windows 7. I'm stumped....

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Called ASUS and they said it sounds like the processor is shot. They said the previous problems they had were when dual cores first came out but not since. I dont know if they are just passing the buck.

Now I guess I will have to fight it out with ASUS and Intel.....

This p67 system has been a nightmare for me....

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Reflash your current BIOS and see how you go. You should be able to get a copy of the current BIOS from Asus website.

Aznboy1993

Mar 20, 2011
The OverClockers BSOD code list
BSOD codes for overclocking
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Those are a list of BSOD codes related to the 2600K (and other processors I guess). Though I do not see your code on there...I would say try a different hard drive, dvd drive, psu, etc. minus the CPU and mobo too try to eliminate culprits.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
I called Intel and the guy asked for the stop code. When I read it to him he said "What? Are you sure? Thats not a typical code." He then immediately setup a replacement no questions asked. CPU was purchased in January so its past the Newegg return period.

I then called Asus back. They said that since the mobo is only a few days old that its not worth sending it to them. I called Newegg and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to return it and a refund. Of course they were out of stock so they had to do a refund.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I called Intel and the guy asked for the stop code. When I read it to him he said "What? Are you sure? Thats not a typical code." He then immediately setup a replacement no questions asked.

LMAO....

u would normally worry now when someone at intel tells you that... lol...

But lucky for you he said RMA no questions asked.. lol...

ive been told that a few times as well.... lol... but mine were to my sponsors direct with a OMGWTFBBQ resend back..

Seven

Jan 26, 2000
I called Intel and the guy asked for the stop code. When I read it to him he said "What? Are you sure? Thats not a typical code." He then immediately setup a replacement no questions asked. CPU was purchased in January so its past the Newegg return period.

I then called Asus back. They said that since the mobo is only a few days old that its not worth sending it to them. I called Newegg and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to return it and a refund. Of course they were out of stock so they had to do a refund.

LOL Intel.

Honestly, I think it may not be a cpu issue. You get lots of BSOD when overclocking. How did the system performed under stock settings?

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Seems like that core you disabled is shot. If it is booting when you remove from BIOS.

Get a RMA for CPU ,, you OCed a bit too much and things got too hot I bet,, gl

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
I had it set for + and .07. I read that thread the other day, BEFORE I messed around with it. The LLC was disabled so it should have only bumped it up to around 1.3xx v.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I had it set for + and .07. I read that thread the other day, BEFORE I messed around with it. The LLC was disabled so it should have only bumped it up to around 1.3xx v.

dont worry about it.

intel said ok rma..

what happaned im guessing is somehow something inside the die fused together.

Dont ask me how, but it made the etching completely wacked.

since all cpu microcode is in the cpu, your microcode was corrupted.

As i said ive seen it happen.

This is why intel went OMGWTFBBQ.. RMA approved.

if your cpu died... it wouldnt even post.. you wouldnt of gotten to bios...
Your microcode is wrong and invalid, unsupported by the bios, which means bad microcode.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
dont worry about it.

intel said ok rma..

what happaned im guessing is somehow something inside the die fused together.

Dont ask me how, but it made the etching completely wacked.

since all cpu microcode is in the cpu, your microcode was corrupted.

As i said ive seen it happen.

This is why intel went OMGWTFBBQ.. RMA approved.

if your cpu died... it wouldnt even post.. you wouldnt of gotten to bios...
Your microcode is wrong and invalid, unsupported by the bios, which means bad microcode.

Yeh, whatever it was, it woke the tech support guy up. :) Sounded like he almost fell off his chair.

It was strange that the computer booted into Windows with 1 core no problem. It ran like normal and everything was pretty snappy. The thing is being that I am sending back the CPU and mobo, I wont find out which was the culprit. I would really like to know what happened but I'm guessing Intel wont tell me if they do happen to test the CPU out and find a problem.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Just wanted to update this thread. Just came home from work and theres a brand new i7 2600k sitting on my porch! Thank you Intel!

Do they test the CPU's that are sent back or they just immediately send a new one because I was already approved? I'm just curious whether the problem was the CPU or Mobo. The Mobo was returned to Newegg (at ASUS' recommendation) so cannot check this new CPU with the mobo I had.