MaximumPC

Ahumado

Jan 12, 2004
No new threads on this mag that I can find. Anyone getting this mag from a magazine clearinghouse? I would like to renew but not at full or even $20 per year. If you have a good source that you get this mag from please post

Last edited:

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Hmm, I used to subscribe as well but I can't find any sources for it less than $20 either except the $1/month digital subscription. Not a good sign in general. I used to get Newsweek for $10-15 a year over five years ago. First then removed any actual reporting and replaced it with just op-eds, then they stopped discounting the magazine and wanted $40/year for that crap. After a couple years of controversial covers, they finally did away with the print version.

I pretty much expect Maximum PC to go the same way and move to all digital. It's just how the current media landscape is right now but it's especially hard for them since they can only cover so many products and only after a long print delay.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Considering it costs like $8.95 or something at the store its worth it. Sign up for 2 years you should be able to for less than $30 bucks.

Feb 6, 2007
Considering it costs like $8.95 or something at the store its worth it. Sign up for 2 years you should be able to for less than $30 bucks.

That's assuming the print version will be around in 2 years, which, at this point, is by no means a guarantee.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
That's assuming the print version will be around in 2 years, which, at this point, is by no means a guarantee.

Not too worried about the print edition going away.

OP, if $20 is too much for you, you can always read them for free in the pdf archives if you are willing to wait a few months.

Ahumado

Jan 12, 2004
you mean the actual kill-tree paper thing that comes in mail?

YES KILL TREES !!!!!!!!

I should like to point out trees are a crop. The paper that supplies these mags does not come from the rain forest, giant pristine redwoods or other "Holy" trees. The paper comes from a renewable resource that is managed.

Personally I love burning wood in the winter, spring and fall to keep my family warm. I have a chain saw, a log splitter, several axes and hatchets. I BURN the stuff. It's great !! I love wood and wood products. When a logging truck goes by I yell "Stop and drop at my house."

In fact just this past summer I cut down 15 trees in my yard and can't wait to get started on the remaining 30 red pines that I will BURN in my fire pit for no other reason than to sit around roast marshmellows and enjoy the ambience.

You city girls are a hoot.

Last edited:

Ahumado

Jan 12, 2004
Thanks for all the replies that made sense :) I'm hoping the clearinghouse that sold me my last sub calls. The last issue I got was destroyed by my grandson and tossed by my daughter so I couldn't get the renewal data from the sealed in plastic notice.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't understand paying for this magazine in a world where the internet exists. Not to mention more than half of it is just ads.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
In fact just this past summer I cut down 15 trees in my yard and can't wait to get started on the remaining 30 red pines that I will BURN in my fire pit for no other reason than to sit around roast marshmellows and enjoy the ambience.

You city girls are a hoot.
Nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is using machines to cull trees, using more machines plus a heavy dollop of chemicals to process the trees, then using machines again to transfer tons of paper to the publisher. That in turn uses machines, and even more chemicals to turn it into a magazine, and then more machines are used to deliver it to stores or end users to read, and get thrown out within a week.

It's a moronic waste time and resources. Technology only works if you use it. This shit can make our lives easier, and reduce waste and pollution, but doing things the stupid way doesn't help anything, and the Neanderthals clinging to obsolete technology hold us all back.

Ahumado

Jan 12, 2004
Not too worried about the print edition going away.

OP, if $20 is too much for you, you can always read them for free in the pdf archives if you are willing to wait a few months.

I like the mag but not enough to pay $20 a year for. I won't pay more than $ 10 for the print edition. There isn't enough in it to justify paying more. How many times in an issue do I want to read "were rocking this or that" and Gordon needs medication. Also, how many times do I need to read on How to build a system...according to MaxPC at least once an issue but as I wrote I like the mag despite my complaints

Ahumado

Jan 12, 2004
Nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is using machines to cull trees, using more machines plus a heavy dollop of chemicals to process the trees, then using machines again to transfer tons of paper to the publisher. That in turn uses machines, and even more chemicals to turn it into a magazine, and then more machines are used to deliver it to stores or end users to read, and get thrown out within a week.

It's a moronic waste time and resources. Technology only works if you use it. This shit can make our lives easier, and reduce waste and pollution, but doing things the stupid way doesn't help anything, and the Neanderthals clinging to obsolete technology hold us all back.

Thank God for machines !! Esp the electronic kind that allows you to write your rant !! GO Daddy! I keep my mags at least 10 days !

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Hasn't been any good since it changed its name from Boot. Magazines and are now completely irrelevant.