Maximum simultaneous keypresses on a keyboard?

Ogewo

Dec 13, 1999
I get an annoying beep of defiance whenever I'm in CS:S or any game and attempt to hold down a 4th key on my keyboard. The comand is not sent either. I read that USB keyboards have a max keypress limit of 6 and PS/2 is 10-20. Does anyone here know the truth? What can be done?

On a side note, are there any other performance advantages of certain keyboards in games, other than key layout?

Thanks

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Test:

dask das dsajk das dsjka dska sa s dsa sda dask dsa dasjk kdsa jdska asjk hsajk adsh dsk dshajk dask

Looks like about 4 letters at a time after I stopped pushing so hard

Logitech wireless duo

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
How can you tell anyway? Then again, I'm using a PS/2 keyboard, does that make a difference?

Norm

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: cevilgenius
How can you tell anyway? Then again, I'm using a PS/2 keyboard, does that make a difference?

Norm
hold a key, press another, hold it, press another, hold it, and so on. Eventually it will stop, and maybe beep at you (my mobo does :)).

4 here, too, with a PS/2 IBM Model M.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
G15 is a horrible keyboard , the design was good but they added crap to side which makes it horrible!

Zelmo3

Dec 24, 2003
I don't know what the maximum is on my Logitech wireless internet kb, but I've noticed that I can press w, c, and a simultaneously (to crouch and strafe left while moving forward in Return to Castle Wolfenstein), but not w, c, and d. So in some combinations I can't get more than two, and I don't recall ever needing more than three.

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
What the heck?!? My Saitek Eclipse depends on what keys it is that you are pushing!?!? Pressing these four at the same time
asdfasdfasdf...
Now trying to press "hjkl"...

(I can't!!!)
Now trying "jkl;"
jkl;jkl;jkl;jkl;jkl;

Why the heck would it matter what key combo is being used???

Agnostos Insania

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2005
asdfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssddddddddddddddfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

4 for this "Dynex" keyboard that my brother's computer is using.

phisrow

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2004
If you open up a keyboard and have a look, you can see that most modern keyboards have a moderately complex network of traces inside, not a simple 1 key - 1 switch setup. Presumably, there are limits to what the controller can detect, which differ depending on which paths are being used. Older(superior) keyboards with individual keyswitches might well differ; but they would still be limited by the responses of the controller.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
I've got an orginal MS Natural Keyboard PS/2 and 4 seems to be the limit w/ it hooked up via my linksys kvm - the kvm I belive I've been able to press 5 at once (back in CS1.3)

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
asssssddfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffff ya only 4

Oxides

Sep 7, 2003
6 on my Memorex mx3300 (usb multimedia) going through a Linkskey kvm. It doesnt make any noise when you try the 7th.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
depends on the keyboard matrix used

standard ps2 sits at around 3 - usb will generally net you 4-5
10 to 20 would have been awesome as we wouldn't have to purchase another $30-60 part for mame cabinets

MaceX

Aug 3, 2004
apparently a keyboard with "n key rollover" doesn't have this problem. I have yet to find a keyboard that has this ability.