Maximum receiver volume I can go

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
Hi folks,
another noob question from me:
I have these speakers:Q Acoustics 3010i which spec. says
Stereo Amplifier Power: 15 - 75w
AV Receiver (2 ch. driven): 50 - 125 W

Powered with this AVR: AVR-X1600H 7.2ch 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with 3D Audio and HEOS Built-in® AV Receivers | Denon which spec says

Number of Power Amps7
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)80 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)120 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive)145 W

I have set up speaker impedance on AVR to be 6 ohm (altough I could probably set up even 4 ohms but I read i dont need to do it in case I dont see any issues, some even reccomended to keep 8 ohms). Not sure If this seting influence AVR power output or If is driven by real speaker impedance (which is 4-6).

Nevertheless I dont fully understand those power outputs mentioning 1Khz and number of channels driven but I would expect I should be carefull with volume above 50%, but on 50% the sound volume is quite low. I currently have 5.1. connected.

My question is: Is there possible to say what volume on AV receiver I should not go above? 60%, 70%? 80%? Iam worried Icould damage speakers.
Thanks for your answers in advacne!

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just crank it up until the cops show up telling you to be quiet. Then you'll know how loud they can go.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Do you have the entire 5.1 set? 86db is not considered high efficiency, which means you need more power. On top of that it is a 6ohm average 4ohm nominal which makes it need more power compared to 8ohm ones.

Does the Denon manual has all channel driven rms? I hate how now they publish only useless numbers. If I am buying a 7 channel receiver, show me how it does with all channels driven. I suspect it won't do more than 40w rms all channel driven.

Last edited:

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
Do you have the entire 5.1 set? 86db is not considered high efficiency, which means you need more power. On top of that it is a 6ohm average 4ohm nominal which makes it need more power compared to 8ohm ones.

Does the Denon manual has all channel driven rms? I hate how now they publish only useless numbers. If I am buying a 7 channel receiver, show me how it does with all channels driven. I suspect it won't do more than 40w rms all channel driven.
Yes,I have entire 5.1. set, the spec says it has 7 amplifiers

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yes,I have entire 5.1. set, the spec says it has 7 amplifiers
The receiver manual does not list how much powee it can deliver with 5 channel driven?

Just increase volume slowly I guess.

fluffmonster

Sep 29, 2006
At some point you will hear distortion in the sound as you turn the volume up slowly. That is where "too high" is. Whether this first comes from the speakers or the receiver doesn't particularly matter unless you are looking to replace one, but the distortion can come from either being pushed to it's limit. You wouldn't usually damage anything if you go slow and back off as soon as the sound distorts.

Reactions: Ka3el

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
The receiver manual does not list how much powee it can deliver with 5 channel driven?

Just increase volume slowly I guess.
Manual just says 120W/channel, then there is spec. I shared with question,so seems 7 discrete amplifiers