Max Schaefer Interview: TL3, Mod Tools, D3, Cheating...

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Hola! :)

I'm back with a new interview with Max Schaefer. As some of you'll recall I interviewed Max back at E3 and we talked about bunch lot of cool things, including his time at Blizzard working on Diablo 3 many moons ago.

Well I sat down with Max again a few days after Torchlight 2 launched and we discussed: Torchlight 2 sales, how powerful the mod tools really are, will TL2 on the Mac make 2012, player cheating, working on Diablo 3, open-multiplayer vs secure-multiplayer, Claptrap and Minecraft cameos in TL2, PvP, Torchlight 3, Torchlight 2 on next gen consoles, Sci-Fi ARPGs and if he'll ever make that Torchlight/Minecraft hybrid he told me about at E3 this year.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/32824468588/max-schaefer-torchlight2-launch-interview

Hope you guys enjoy, I'm proud of this one! :)

Cheers,
-Mark

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Ashenor it's way too long for that, but how about I pull some interesting quotes? :)

With Diablo 3 we wanted to do an MMO, a shared world. As I recall—and this was a million years ago—we didn’t have a whole lot of instancing in the plans. It was going to be a true, big MMO world but with Diablo sensibilities and controls.

We wouldn’t be able to do a $20 game of this size while running servers and trying to maintain a secure economy. It just doesn’t happen, and so that’s why you have $60 boxes for things like that.

I think people are panicking because they’re thinking about Diablo 3 and what it might be like if you could cheat—and yeah it would be chaos—but that’s only in the context of having a competitive economy.

we wanted to make sure it was the proper Claptrap [design] and they were very very cool about it, as was Notch regarding the Minecraft stuff. It’s just fun to see that stuff happen.

That’s kind of part of the deal with Torchlight. It was really really fun making Torchlight 2 so I suspect we’ll never get too far from that but we definitely want to put a twist on it for the next thing.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Nice, thanks i have read your interviews before, good work.

I will check out the rest when i get home tonight.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Good interview, although I didn't like the questions regarding D3. Felt it had no connection. Other than that, awesome

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Great interview, thanks for sharing. i thought it was fascinating even though i haven't played the game yet

Goothry

Oct 25, 2011
Could you possibly post the interview to the forums? My firewall does not like the site you have linked.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Please please please somebody make a mod that allows you to actually COLLECT set pieces.