Max Payne 3 - 3D vision only? (no stereosupport for passive 3dtvs?)

Beavermatic

Oct 24, 2006
hello all,

just wondering... some games will let you do sterescopic mode output (either through specific ingmae menu setting), such as stereo, anaglyph, 3d vision, etc.

Now isnt 3d vision just a form of stereo? Trying to output to sterescopic mode via HDMI gtx680 on a temporary system (currently rebuilding my main one) to my 56' LG cinema3DTV only works on *some* games.

Specifically, trying to get Max PAyne 3 up and running via sterescopic as not to use 3d vision, but rather to my LG 3d TV through a standard 120hz 3d mode. But it appears its only permitting it for nvidia 3D vision?

Now I know 3D vision is active shutter, but wouldnt the stereo image output still be the same to the hardware interpretuing it? Setting it in 3d vision mode (which is all apparently max payne 3 supports) should still let it output the stereo signal to my 3Dtv regardless if the TV is active or passive? When it outputs... i just see garbled scanlines of some sort on the screen... i know its not my HDMI cable, and my LG tv is in the correct mode..

I contacted rockstar and asked.. they said Max Payne 3 is 3d vision only... but that doesnt seem right. stereoscopic out is stereoscopic output... doesnt matter to what kind of device (passive 3d tv or active shutter system)?

any suggestions?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I see a few things in your post that stand out and tell me that you're mixing up some aspects of 3D. I'm certainly not an expert, but I can tell you that the state of 3D is rather convoluted. It's very easy to get things mixed up simply because it's not very well detailed. I'll try and explain a few things about it:

1) You mentioned that you're trying to do nVision 3D to your LG TV (120Hz display) with HDMI. nVision 3D requires a DVI-D cable connected a monitor that supports 120Hz. nVision 3D uses the aforementioned hardware to provide 60Hz per eye at 1080p.

2) HDMI is far more restrictive with its 3D transmission methods. HDMI supports two different types: half-resolution and full-resolution. The half-resolution methods are side-by-side, top-bottom and checkerboard. These are mostly used by broadcasts. The most common full-resolution method is Frame Packing, and this is used in Blu-rays. It provides two 1080p or 720p frames (along with audio), but it is much more limited in regard to resolution. The most common resolutions used with Frame Packing are 720p50, 720p60 and 1080p24. The latter gives you an idea of why HDMI doesn't work for 1080p gaming.

3) To do nVidia's 3D over HDMI, you will need to use a separate piece of middleware called 3D TV Play ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html ). This is not free.

I hope this helps

EDIT:

To note, I didn't mention the typical red+blue 3D method (Anaglyph 3D) because it is a single image with both eyes encoded at once. This means that it can be displayed directly by the television/monitor without any extra processing. The other methods must be processed given the frames for each eye are separate.

Last edited:

Beavermatic

Oct 24, 2006
ahhh.... i was wondering about the 3d vision setting only outputting to dual link dvi. I thought this was a requirement for the glasses kit only, that it may still output to all video ports for sterescopic mode. I had tried te 3d tv play some time ago with other games... it semi-works with HDMI big screen tv's, but alot of 3d pop-in issues and artificating. And of course, it's not free as you mentioned.

So it literally has to have a seperate sterescopic mode, or at least be compatible withe the nvidia play for hdmi output to get it to run to my passive 3d LG :(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, 3D on a TV can be a pain, but it should be doable. The only downside is that you'll be stuck in 720p.

3D can definitely be a pain to grasp. There are three different parts to keep in mind: source, transmission method and display. Each of these has their own nuances and limits, which aren't always that obvious.

Leopardos

Jul 15, 2009
Well,

I recived my 3D screen ( Samsung S23A700D) before 3 days ...
It was pain to configure because Its not supported with Nvidia ( i have no idea why ) ... i managed to configure it by downloading fake screen driver which is supported with 3D vision using 3D Vision Emulator... i tried it and it work just *fine* ...

Why just fine?
because you are limited with 1280x720 @ 60Hz and 1920x1080 24Hz 3D ...
Its not acceptable, because you bought a 120Hz screen ... why Limit us ?!

long story short, i got pissed off and disabled the 3D with nvidia and used a program which included with my samsung screen, TriDef 3D ....

It gives you better Hz compared to Nvidia, i guess if not mistaken --> 1920x1080 60Hz 3D , and 1280x720 120Hz 3D, You even can choice any resolution you want to play with not just two like Nvidia ...

Good luck

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I recived my 3D screen ( Samsung S23A700D) before 3 days ...
It was pain to configure because Its not supported with Nvidia ( i have no idea why )

It looks like the monitor was simply designed to not support 3D over the DVI connector. This is required for nVision 3D.

because you are limited with 1280x720 @ 60Hz and 1920x1080 24Hz 3D ...
Its not acceptable, because you bought a 120Hz screen ... why Limit us ?!

I mentioned this earlier. The three most common resolutions for frame packing over HDMI are 720p50, 720p60 and 1080p24. This is a limitation of the HDMI 1.4a spec. If you want to do true 3D gaming in 1080p, you will need a monitor that supports 3D over DVI if you own an nVidia card or over DisplayPort if you own an AMD card.

Leopardos

Jul 15, 2009
I have a dual link DVI in my GFX, and "LUCKY ME" my monitor two ( Dual link DVI and HDMI )

So, im able to play 3D 1080p 60Hz and 120Hz ;)
But as i suggested he can use TriDef 3d program instead of Nvidia program( 3D Vision and 3DTV Play )

Last edited:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
It's basically a bandwidth issue, I think only the latest version of HDMI, HDMI1.4 supports a high enough bandwidth to transmit full 1080p @ 120hz (60hz for each eye), this is why Dual Link DVI has been a requirement for Nvidias 3D Vision because it can support that kind of bandwidth.

I think with the latest drivers and compatible hardware you can do 3D over HDMI 1.4 now, but the monitor needs to support that specific revision of HDMI and so does the graphics out on your card, as well as the cable (not sure if there's any difference between HDMI 1.4 cables and before?)

Either way monitors supporting HDMI 1.4 are pretty rare I think there's 1 that I found, this is why Nvidia specifically vets compatible hardware.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, im able to play 3D 1080p 60Hz and 120Hz ;)
But as i suggested he can use TriDef 3d program instead of Nvidia program( 3D Vision and 3DTV Play )

Yep. To my knowledge, you can use any of the 3D middleware. When I tried AMD's 3D on my TV, I believe I used TriDef.