Max Memory in Dell Dim 2400

wfay

Jul 24, 2001
The Dell site says 1gb max.

But then searching online, I see various reports of people running 2x1gb sticks, and vendors like Crucial etc seem to offer 2x1gb configuration (and those online wizards are usually pretty accurate), so I'm hoping perhaps someone here can confirm 1gb or 2gb.

Currently running one 512 stick in my wife's PC and she could really use a boost. Obviously a whole new computer would be better but she doesn't really need much more than she already has.

Gracias.

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Unless you can find another Dell user using the EXACT same system you have to verify more than 1gb, I'd go with Dell's info. Even if the chipset the Dell MOBO is made with can support more than 1gb of memory, Dell may have limited this in the bios. Call Dell and ask a human.

wfay

Jul 24, 2001
Good plan. I'm sure someone in their Spare Parts dept can tell me specifics on my machine, and they'd love the opportunity to sell me on an upgrade.

I was thinking I might need to call for Tech Support but of course I'm way out of warranty, and its not worth $40 just to get this answer.

I may just try dropping a 1gb stick in there and seeing if it recognizes the full 1gb (plus existing 512mb stick) = 1.5gb or only the first 512mb. The price difference between 512mb and 1gb is very low, so even if only 512mb was recognized, it wouldn't cost me much.

PS- Why in the world would Dell (or any OEM) limit the max memory in the bios? Only reasoning I can imagine would be if this was part of a market segmenting effort, to keep people from buying the cheaper system and upgrading it themselves (which is what we all do anyways)...